global pool is a bad idea and here's why.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: global pool is a bad idea and here's why.

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:26 pm

bump

They're still bad.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby svino » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:41 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Isn't that basically the same idea as the "fated curios" was? Except you didn't dare pick an uncommon snapdragon if you wanted to get a chiming bluebell when it should have popped up.

I'm thinking "fated curios" might not have been the worst implementation, it just wasn't done right to balance it for the player's wants.

Best solution IMO: nerf the ones that get near 100% use, but what does the rest of the game industry know? :P One of the things I like about Haven development is that things are done differently than "the norm," but it can be one big spot of frustration and irritation at times, too.

I think local pools would be very different from fated curios. First of all, theres this thing about "wasting all your fate" on bloated boletes or whatever, when you actually wanted bluebells. Secondly, why should one character find less curios if he's foraging more? It's a pretty annoying mechanic honestly, and very unintuitive. Lowering the amount of bluebells in a swamp by picking them all the time seems pretty intuitive though, right?

For the sake of the argument, lets pretend that bluebells were good foragables again. You have a limited amount of swamps around you, and if you harvest them all the time, they give less and less bluebells. It's nice that it doesn't affect players on the other side of the world, and it disincentivizes people to use bots, because why put up a bot if it will find almost the same amount of bluebells as a human could? And if you were crazy enough to put up bots at every swamp in every part of the world, then probably people would eventually camp your bots and kill them when they log on.

If bots had to walk around in different areas to find rare curios instead of logging in and out on some safely palisaded zone, they would at least face the same dangers as players have to.
svino

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:38 pm

svino wrote:If bots had to walk around in different areas to find rare curios instead of logging in and out on some safely palisaded zone, they would at least face the same dangers as players have to.

The siege system has changed so much since then, too. No more waiting around 24 hours for a ram to dry to smash in a wall. Much has changed that would affect the overall meta of the game.

My point was that, in some ways, it was a better idea than the current iteration. Since credos were added, it still makes fated curios, and the global pool, terrible ideas, especially as some of the curios needed show up with somewhat regular frequency in a few of the credos.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:53 pm

MagicManICT wrote: Since credos were added, it still makes fated curios, and the global pool, terrible ideas, especially as some of the curios needed show up with somewhat regular frequency in a few of the credos.

Let me tell you how much I enjoyed spending the last month doing pearl diver, abandoning every single acquire X type of pearl, just to finish the credo, pick 600 mussels WITH THE BONUS, boil them, and get one (1) river mussel pearl. ONE.
I got 3 pearls at the start of the world from 300 mussels, with no credo. But hey I guess fuck me for being a retard that doesn't learn programming in java and actually trying to play the game the way it's "intended" to be played. I understand what snuggle means when he says "credos bad".

I'd KoS pearl hunting bots whenever I'd see them but I don't see any, cause I can't be everywhere camping them. This stupid mechanic only benefits bots and always will, not matter what the *pool* is for.
Nightdawg

Postby vatas » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:09 am

There were pretty much no restrictions to how much pearls could be produced in Legacy and they still were the de-facto currency (rich players simply studied them, creating a sink.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Nightdawg wrote:bump
They're still bad.

!
Nightdawg

Postby Gustyboy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Is it possible to have an explaination of what is "global pool" and what are the mechanics hidden behind the forageables ?
Thanks.
Gustyboy

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Gustyboy wrote:Is it possible to have an explaination of what is "global pool" and what are the mechanics hidden behind the forageables ?
Thanks.

Limits to how many of them can be picked/acquired based on how many have already been picked/acquired. The pool slowly refills over time, and gets drained whenever that item has been picked.

Heres an example: If the glimmermoss global pool were to have 1000 "slots", whenever someone picks one glimmermoss, that pool would be drained by 1. And this leads to:
vatas wrote:then my local cave system is devoid of Glimmermoss because someone on the other side of the map is botting their own cave 24/7 and emptying the pool every time it restocks

This mechanic was added to fight bots, but it only does the opposite.
Before this mechanic was added, bots had tons of these rare curiosities, and human players had some decent amounts. But now bots have lots and humans have close to nothing.
Nightdawg

Postby Hasta » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:bump
They're still bad.

!

Hasta

Postby Bad_Habit123 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:52 pm

GP sucks, there just should be a limit or smthng. Like a max of 2-3 per day for each character
"Survival can be summed up in three words - never give up. That's the heart of it really.Just keep trying." -- Bear Grylls
Bad_Habit123

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas