Crop quality limits critique.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Crop quality limits critique.

Postby Fostik » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 pm

We, and our allies faced a limit of turnip quality for our region for about 200 quality. Crops are not even between each other, and cant grow quality with equal speed. No any crop can rise as fast as turnip, and because of that, turnip is most popular product for farming high quality animal food, wax/honey, and mulch.

Everything above are pretty essential mechanics:
- sometimes you cant get enough quality food for chickens to not block their quality growth
- wax and hardened leather are pretty important for any village
- mulch is essential for tree quality spiraling
- even honey quality can affect quality of vinegar, which will affect jewelry and cheeses

Looking on all that, I'm curious isn't it too much to limit such things, for some top villages this will mean retirement from quality race for mid and late game world.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Re: Crop quality limits critique.

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:14 am

Honestly, I've been thinking about the crop quality limiters and finding that its utterly meaningless. The crop quality limit is too high to matter to most people, I haven't encountered it at all, and those few I know who have are mentioning levels like yours.

If the Q cap on crops doesn't even begin until it enters the 100-200 range, what's the point of it even?

Frankly, we need to see a sharp drop in max Q of crops per region, with one or two good crops per any one region. Otherwise, it's pointless as a mechanic. I've been deeply disappointed at its utter lack of relevance for anyone outside of factions grinding top Q.

Everything above are pretty essential mechanics:
- sometimes you cant get enough quality food for chickens to not block their quality growth
- wax and hardened leather are pretty important for any village
- mulch is essential for tree quality spiraling
- even honey quality can affect quality of vinegar, which will affect jewelry and cheeses

Everything you just mentioned are reasons we need to see more of this, not less. There should absolutely be regions where you can't get above Q40 or so without trading with someone to get better quality crops. This whole fiasco has just been hugely disappointing in its lack of relevance.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:10 am

Just make 100 safe palis and plant turnips in all of them. Buy more hats, stupid sheep.
DDDsDD999

Postby Headchef » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:56 pm

dont even need to be a farmer to be able to tell these mechanics are completely retarded
Headchef

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Anyone else remember when, after 9 months, the best quality on anything was only 100*? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

*The bears were only q40 or so because of civilization mechanics.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Anyone else remember when, after 9 months, the best quality on anything was only 100*? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

*The bears were only q40 or so because of civilization mechanics.

Those mechanics still give me nightmares, not that I hated them.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby DPblH » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:42 pm

My carrots stuck at q166. Nice big numbers. Also they sometimes go down in q.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:16 am

well, If any hermit can get a good source for mulch with his hard work - it would be unfair to ppl, who use high-q meat of trolls, mammoth and cachalots (killed via bug-abuses) for that.
and that's not how the catch-up mechanics supposed to work, sprucecap!
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Fostik » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:38 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:well, If any hermit can get a good source for mulch with his hard work - it would be unfair to ppl, who use high-q meat of trolls, mammoth and cachalots (killed via bug-abuses) for that.
and that's not how the catch-up mechanics supposed to work, sprucecap!

Can you please explain your logic, what's the difference between sprucecap and top tier players for such mechanic?

How this mechanic actually work:
- Two top tier villages pretty equal for their online and player count. First group can easilly farm 300-400+ turnips for everything listed above, while second group is forced to spend expensive troll/orca/cachalot meat for that.
- All top tier villages which cant receive hq turnip, spending crazy resources to get dirt analog. Sprucecap hermit with 180+180 is farming playing 2 hours a day farming best turnip in the world.

This is your expectations from this mechanic(my understanding):
- Certain village of top playees will have high quality crops by using this mechanic somehow, while it will be impossible for hermit? :?

I'm absolutely okay with what you just said and agree that mechanics should work like that, but the thing is that this mechanic doesn't work like that.
And yeah, our village will always buy top turnip from any market, I'm just curious why this tedious mechanic exists and trying to critique this on forum created for that, fuck me.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Clemence » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:34 pm

If the cap is that low, turnip or whatever, you will always be able to find a crop with local high max Q to make your mulch and co, the speed of growth became irrelevant in the long run.
Clemence

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas