Death Mechanic Tweak

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Death Mechanic Tweak

Postby talon00302 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 am

An interesting idea that I've been thinking is a small tweak to death.

• Buff grievous damage back to 60%
• Upon death you no longer lose character but receive an Incapacitation debuff for a week
• Incapacitation: Stats are reduced by 40-60%~ and slowly regain over the course of the following week
• Incapacitation could possibly stack in effect and duration if repetitively killed to prevent abuse.
• Murderous Rage increases grievous damage to 100%.
• Murderous Rage prevents from porting back to HF and has a higher Incapacitation effect on yourself.
• Ancestral Worship speeds up Incapacitation buff regeneration.

This would both encourage PvP interaction and disable opponents.
I feel its a good balance of risk/excitement/meaning in KOing an opponent.
Last edited by talon00302 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
talon00302

Re: Death Mechanic Tweak

Postby Zyean » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:44 am

I like this idea
Zyean

Postby Hasta » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:50 am

inb4 gray-balled oldtimers come and whine about "hafen being unique because permadeath" and others of the same group replying "bring real permadeath back"

That "tweak" would definitely encourage me personally to engage in PvP more (yes I'm a coward), but I have a feeling that "immortal in PvP characters" are just not going to happen, and for a good reason.
Also, if your character can still die of "natural causes" such as wounds from animals and drowning, this change will just bring back the obnoxious ways of killing someone for good, like dumping a swarm of sandfleas on an incapacitated character or filling his equipment slots with q300 leeches.
Hasta

Postby strpk0 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm one of those people that miss the days where there was "permadeath" in the game (though with full tradition belief in legacy you never really lost any stats on death to be honest). But that's long gone, and I like this idea a lot more than what currently is in-game, so +1.

I think a lot of the appeal of the legacy "permadeath" system was having the satisfaction of fully killing your opponent, instead of KOing them and having to sit there waiting for them to hearth out, or hurriedly looting their stuff before they get to hearth out.
So idk, maybe to expand on the idea have deaths leave a corpse behind, and then have the deceased hearthling return to their hearthfire after they press "move on" on the death screen (as a pixie or whatever you are when making a new character), be given a new body and a prompt to choose a new name for the descendant and then get the debuff applied to them. Would make a lot more sense thematically aswell, a lot more than the current system for sure. And it would leave your killers with a satisfying fresh corpse to loot and play football with or screenshot and BM you with or whatever.
Last edited by strpk0 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby shubla » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:55 pm

So permanent debuff of 60% to sprucecaps? no thanks.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby strpk0 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 pm

shubla wrote:So permanent debuff of 60% to sprucecaps? no thanks.

Because a 60% debuff on their 20 perception for a WHOLE WEEK(!!!) is a lot worse than having a bunch of crappy wounds applied to their character and a chance at permadeath if they put themselves into risk a second time, right?
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:12 pm

At least you wont have to re learn combat moves and click read on 100+ parchments.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Return to Critique & Ideas