Softcap on cheeseracks = (rack+tray)/2

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Softcap on cheeseracks = (rack+tray)/2

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm being quoted out of context, here's the original one:

vatas wrote:I agree wtih SnuggleSnail. Having to replace every cheeserack every month is annoyance to faction village with bots, but Sisyphean task to hermits and more casual players.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:26 am

Anything being automated gives an advantage, and this is a game where automation is legal - I don't think "it's will be botted!!!" is a legitimate argument most of the time, but a better argument is usually "botting specifically this gives too much of an advantage verse doing it manually."

There was a lot of cheese automation in the past, so I can see why this was introduced. Combatting cheese botting, especially in a world 10 climate is a noble goal because it wasn't a thing that would give a small advantage, it's something that would give a huge advantage. Whales, pepper, anvil spiraling(good riddance), truffles I think are other examples of things where automation provides too much benefit.

That said, we have satiations now. To make a realistic amount of cheese for one or two individuals (without worrying about rackQ) would only take four or five hours a fortnight at most. So, cheese automation(curding, moving trays, milking animals) doesn't really save much time at all.

Remaking all cheese racks occasionally, however, is something that for a significant cheese farm would take multiple people several 16 hour days. Having cheeserack automation doesn't just save time, it changes the way you play the game - because you will make racks earlier in the world, since it won't feel like wasted effort for extra stats. Cheeserack automation saves an absurd amount of time, and gives a tangible benefit(significantly higherQ cheese, attributes from cheese earlier).

In trying to reduce the effect of cheesebotting, all that has really happened in automation in a different area has become much, much more powerful.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby azrid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:01 pm

Yea I feel like this was a remedy for the infinite amount of food you could shovel in your mouth.
It needs to be removed.
azrid

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 pm

azrid wrote:Yea I feel like this was a remedy for the infinite amount of food you could shovel in your mouth.
It needs to be removed.

this was added w11 when satiations were god awful and you couldnt shovel food in your mouth fyi.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby azrid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm

wonder-ass wrote:this was added w11 when satiations were god awful and you couldnt shovel food in your mouth fyi.

Good patch added in a wrong time I guess and kept through the wrong world.
azrid

Postby Stoneface » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm

I would love to see cheeseracks not affect quality, and I am a semi-sane normal player that runs a large cheese operation as best I can, but the wood requirements for the sink is just too great. I would love to see only trays/tubs affect the quality, racks are just not logical now that satiety matters with cheese.
Stoneface

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:29 pm

if the "fix" for botting has ANY downsides for normal players it should immediately be thrown in the trash. too many of these "fixes" have plagued this game with shitty mechanics that didnt get changed for many months after it was put in.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:40 pm

I think my points above have become more pertinent after the alchemy update.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Fostik » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:09 pm

wy?
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:04 pm

jorb wrote:Considering removing it entirely.

any updates on this :?
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas