Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Postby vatas » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 pm

mvgulik wrote:
jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.
Winter has been shortened to 5 RL days, and the 5 days lost have been given instead to Summer.

... O crap ... It just hit me that that is going to affect RoB's seasons calender.
Suggest disabling/removing the seasons calender parts on the Main- and Seasons-page. (with a proper documented edit summary ... I hope)

The current season-calendar core code hinges on splitting a HnH year in 6 equal parts (with summer spanning 3 parts).
So there is no way to make it work properly for this new seasons setup without making changing to the core code (which is kinda complex due to MW's code features/limitations. 'And' that's probably only issue one out of two ...)

Hopefully they reverse this particular change based on the comments that this change triggered.

How hard is it to switch into 12 equal parts (summer 6, winter 1, rest 2?)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:23 pm

He was probably overthinking the problem.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 am

vatas wrote:How hard is it to switch into 12 equal parts (summer 6, winter 1, rest 2?)

Well, that would be the easy part.

But if you look at the extended season calendar at the seasons page you see its using "Early Summer", "Mid Summer" and "Late Summer". Which, I think, worked ok for 6 parts.
But when using 12 parts that approach should probably be changed.

(I don't remember. But I would not be surprised if I coded it the way it currently is, because there was some MW problem/limitation in making it work in some other way.)
mvgulik

Postby mvgulik » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 am

Technically converting it to into a 12 part case would need:
- Adjusting related length compares.
- Adjusting seasons names-list.
- (and updating some related underwater usage text notes)
That should (probably) do it.

Probably best done first in a temporary template to no spam the main template with unnecessary debugging tries.
mvgulik

Postby vatas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:03 pm

I don't want to start a dram but I would like people's opinion on reverted edit of mine. In response to this thread, I edited wiki page for Snekkja to include detailed explanation on how to drop slave key to water and how it's possible to Hearth away even when Knocked Out and stuck on Snekkja. It was deleted with comment "Please don't write wiki pages like you're crying."

First, positives: He left the part about dropping slave key and put it into security -section.

Secondly, I have to object to the claim that I "wrote wiki page like I'm crying." To me it's clear the tone was along the lines of "if you get fucked, do this to not get fucked even harder due to not knowing this."

I will emphasize that I find arguing about the suitability of what I contributed (and then was deleted) perfectly open to argument, and probably wouldn't have bothered posting this message if the removing edit had no comment at all or had something like "I find this to be poor fit to the page, removing it for clarity."
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby KitsuneG » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:32 pm

:roll: Well, it was really bad writing for wiki, maybe the man who undo your edit was a rude to you, but honestly why you even care for that? he done a good work after, if he would just wipe that out - it was worth to whine.

I don't want to be rude to you, but was this post about? What do you want? There is no moderation on wiki, the man who undo your edit not even post here or smt
Wiki editor.
KitsuneG

Postby vatas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:27 pm

KitsuneG wrote::roll: Well, it was really bad writing for wiki, maybe the man who undo your edit was a rude to you, but honestly why you even care for that? he done a good work after, if he would just wipe that out - it was worth to whine.

I don't want to be rude to you, but was this post about? What do you want? There is no moderation on wiki, the man who undo your edit not even post here or smt

I'm not that sure, now that you mentioned it. I may have thought I'd avoid some sort of "Edit War" but more careful consideration leads to assumption that those usually involve more than two people.

To leave this on useful note, if you delete something from wiki, just comment your justification/reasoning instead of implying that someone is crybaby for sharing tips that can save players who are new to the game.

vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:04 pm

vatas wrote:To leave this on useful note, if you delete something from wiki, just comment your justification/reasoning instead of implying that someone is crybaby for sharing tips that can save players who are new to the game.

This. It's a group document, not a drama page. I don't know about the past, but in my opinion, if people can't leave a justifiable reason for an edit, it's grounds to have the edit reverted and potentially get banned from the site. At least with a justification for the edit, you've shown grounds for it, even if your intentions are simply no more than "I want to be an ass."
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 pm

My 2 cents ...
User disagreements are generally better kept on wiki.

On the more general wiki stuff:

General rule of thumb for wiki writing would be: Don't write in a subjective tone. (that includes of course edit- / undo-comments)

General rules of thumb to prevent "Edit Wars":
As objective (ie: no subjective name calling), and concise, as possible edit comments (especially for undoes, or as in this case a undo+rewrite). And when needed, as there is a text limit to the edit-comment, you drop the reason in the related discussion-page (and point to it in the edit comment).
+ if not sure about doing a undo ... take it to the related discussion-page.
++ No undoing of a commented-undo. Take it to the discussion page.
+++ No consecutive-secondary un-commented undo's.
mvgulik

Postby mvgulik » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Spit-roasting (q10 branches, chicken)
Single spit:
- Without any turning [~36:00]
- Constant turning [~4:30]
Multiple spits (6): (turning done manually, ie: high variability)
- case 1: (1,2,..6,1,2,..,6,..) [~13:00]
- case 2: (1,2,..,6,5,..,1,..) [~16:30]

Seems turning is not instantly setting spit-roasting speed to max. (to than decay again while not turning)
(roasting speed decay rate seems relative high, quickly lowering effectiveness with increasing spit roasts)
---
(seems sizzling timer starts at spit-roast done, vs carving. presuming the lith fire plays no role in this)
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?