Random events - earthquake / sandstorm / Hail

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Random events - earthquake / sandstorm / Hail

Postby Lurux » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 am

Hi,
I was wondering if there has ever been a discussion about the addition of random events?
I understand we have the comet thing going on at the moment but what about random disasters or likewise positive events

Negative :
Earthquake
Sandstorm
Hail
Locust swarm
Flood

Positive :
Butterly swarm (fast crop growth)
Lurux

Re: Random events - earthquake / sandstorm / Hail

Postby shubla » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:40 pm

I like it.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Lurux » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Imagine a earthquake shifting quality nodes :twisted:
Lurux

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:30 am

imagine earthquake striking the storage house on any market
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Lurux » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:15 pm

To my opinion, changing the world somehow with events or at least making it more dynamic over time could be quite a cool implementation. Let's say the world gets older each amount of years and there is more forming of swamps or mountains or in general the global quality goes up or something like that. It would make for an interesting concept but it requires a dynamic setup of the world map.
Lurux

Postby Hasta » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:14 am

I've been thinking about "random global events with existing mechanics" to shape up this game and keep us on our toes.

For example, wolves that roam at night might once in a while spawn in huge numbers, move more quickly and in a particular general direction and become waaay less tame (as in, troll level of aggression). That Event ("Hour of the Wolf" or whatever you wanna call it) would be randomly triggered in, say, Winter (the season when IRL wolves form packs and roam the wilderness in search of prey), with a meteor-like announcement. So the hunters grab their bows and posse into hunting parties, farmers get inside the palisades and if a few occasional bots get eaten -- oh well. The wolves are perma-spawned, unless the season ends or they leave the world map.

Rat infestation - perma-spawned swarm of Cave Rats in random tunnels or caves. Not as dangerous but rather falling into category of "something fun to do clearing your favourite mine". Arguably - spawned rats should have a small chance to attack/damage the mine supports to incentivise cleaning the vermins.

As for the "dynamic world" events, dramatically changing and re-shaping terrain levels, bodies of water, biomes and even quality nodes -- that's going to take a lot of work on the map generator, and we just a few worlds into it's not-penis-shape-focused phase, let's not ask too much of it =)
Hasta

Postby Lurux » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 am

Hasta wrote:I've been thinking about "random global events with existing mechanics" to shape up this game and keep us on our toes.

For example, wolves that roam at night might once in a while spawn in huge numbers, move more quickly and in a particular general direction and become waaay less tame (as in, troll level of aggression). That Event ("Hour of the Wolf" or whatever you wanna call it) would be randomly triggered in, say, Winter (the season when IRL wolves form packs and roam the wilderness in search of prey), with a meteor-like announcement. So the hunters grab their bows and posse into hunting parties, farmers get inside the palisades and if a few occasional bots get eaten -- oh well. The wolves are perma-spawned, unless the season ends or they leave the world map.

Rat infestation - perma-spawned swarm of Cave Rats in random tunnels or caves. Not as dangerous but rather falling into category of "something fun to do clearing your favourite mine". Arguably - spawned rats should have a small chance to attack/damage the mine supports to incentivise cleaning the vermins.

As for the "dynamic world" events, dramatically changing and re-shaping terrain levels, bodies of water, biomes and even quality nodes -- that's going to take a lot of work on the map generator, and we just a few worlds into it's not-penis-shape-focused phase, let's not ask too much of it =)

"As for the "dynamic world" events" => I guess we can dream :D at least if might be something hey could look at later.
For the other things : I like these ideas. I think in general there are so many things like this the community can come up with and might very well be linked to seasons. I understand that spring and winter might not be the most interesting seasons of all but it could be spiced up with random events being able to trigger in those days.
Lurux

Postby Stoneface » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:05 am

Frog season, where you can't move around swamps and bogs unless you have a horse or a lot of bags to grab them all. May not be all that advantageous minus some frog legs or toad butter, but could be an interesting low level thing. I really like the caverat swarm, or even something like a boreworm spawning ground that lasts for a day or two in a large cave...maybe salmon spawning season where there is a massive uptick in % to catch certain fish en masse... lots of cool things. Jellyfish swarm moving closer to shore, sea/bog turtle spawning season... lots of things that could be interesting just with a bit of spawn tinkering... I like this idea...maybe not the earthquake part as it sounds like it would be a lot of work but the swarm of suddenly spawning small things make me think a lot of real life.
Stoneface

Postby CSPAN » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:18 am

I can get on board with random world events, but catastrophic events would only harm player population. If you structurally devastate a village, they will probably just quit.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Return to Critique & Ideas