Damage Inspection

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Damage Inspection

Postby DafyddapDafydd » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Let us use the inspect tool (a>s) to see how damaged our mine supports/houses/walls are.
Tedium is a feature.

Formerly known as DaMaGe. Been playing on and off since World 3 in 2010, but my old account no longer functions.
RIP Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:28 am - Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:02 am
DafyddapDafydd

Re: Damage Inspection

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 pm

DafyddapDafydd wrote:Let us use the inspect tool (a>s) to see how damaged our mine supports/houses/walls are.

Please! Seeing the color is all fine for a general glance, but it's hard to tell with some objects from <25% and <75%.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:33 am

inb4 "use a custom client."

In all seriousness, default should have better way of communicating object damage, especially/at least on things like Mine Supports.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:08 pm

vatas wrote:inb4 "use a custom client."

honestly, why is this even the only way to play this game properly in the first place?

add a "toggle objects healthbar" option, imo it would be too tedious to inspect every object.
Last edited by Nightdawg on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm

daily reminder that flower menus exist
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DafyddapDafydd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:54 pm

vatas wrote:inb4 "use a custom client."

In all seriousness, default should have better way of communicating object damage, especially/at least on things like Mine Supports.

Yeah I actually use Amber already, but I've never seen an option to show damage. Is this a PurusPasta thing or something?
Also now that I think about it, a toggleable health bar might be better than inspect (or both would be nice).
Tedium is a feature.

Formerly known as DaMaGe. Been playing on and off since World 3 in 2010, but my old account no longer functions.
RIP Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:28 am - Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:02 am
DafyddapDafydd

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:29 am

DafyddapDafydd wrote:Yeah I actually use Amber already, but I've never seen an option to show damage. Is this a PurusPasta thing or something?

It's in Amber. It still only shows the relative percentage, and shouldn't be considered as the "accurate measure" of how many HP the object has left, as it can only read the information sent, which comes in quartiles--<75%, <50%, <25%.

Beyond that, yes, I think "Inspect" would be useful as a means of finding the exact amount of damage left vs just the red coloration. It should be added above and beyond what indicators we already have.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Agrik » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:16 pm

I agree.

BTW, "Inspect" action should be more powerful. Maybe with prerequisites for some information (stats, credos, tools). After all, it's not a "glance around" nor "look at from distance", it is "inspect", and it requires the character to literally touch the specified object, IIRC.
Agrik

Postby Hasta » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:16 pm

Make Magnifying Glass curio equippable, and with it equipped make Inspect action to reveal detailed info about the object (health total/remaining, materials used to build it etc etc).

Or just give Glasses and Monocle the same power.
Hasta

Postby cellites » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:50 am

I love this idea, i'm color blind so trying to figure out durability is a massive pain for me. +1
cellites

Return to Critique & Ideas