Quest trees should not be claimable

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Quest trees should not be claimable

Postby Lurux » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm

I don't see the sense in it .. Topic

Topic can be closed
Last edited by Lurux on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurux

Re: Quest trees should not be claimable

Postby Headchef » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Okay here is the sense in it:

Opposing groups who spawn characters just to get to know a bunch of questgivers in the area and chop them down

To prevent that, people claim it.
Headchef

Postby IngloriouslyBad » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 am

Honestly, that's one of the most sickening things I've seen people do in playing almost 8 worlds now, when people chop down quest givers. So dumb...

Make those giant scary tree ents spawn directly on the tree, rawhide horses, and kick the ass of people who do that non-sense. Too many tree friends have died for autismo purposes... RIP O7
IngloriouslyBad

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 am

How would you even know your claim has a quest tree on it? You wouldn't. What would you do, when as you go to claim your land, you can't expand any further for some weird reason? Would you start chopping the trees down because you need that extra space? Would you "play nice" and leave the trees there and pack your stuff up and move somewhere else? Maybe you might just expand the other way, and that's ok, but lo and behold!! another tree spirit! Now you can't expand your land to the size you need, and back to the last point--What you going to do? Move? chop it down? something else?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Fostik » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:17 am

+1 to Magicman
Really tired of people who proposing this, but not think through all the nuances.

Moreover, can we have this type request in "top ten ideas you should stop posting new threads about"?
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Lurux » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:32 pm

MagicManICT wrote:How would you even know your claim has a quest tree on it? You wouldn't. What would you do, when as you go to claim your land, you can't expand any further for some weird reason? Would you start chopping the trees down because you need that extra space? Would you "play nice" and leave the trees there and pack your stuff up and move somewhere else? Maybe you might just expand the other way, and that's ok, but lo and behold!! another tree spirit! Now you can't expand your land to the size you need, and back to the last point--What you going to do? Move? chop it down? something else?

I'm not saying the tree cannot be on a claim, I am saying it should not be claimable. I have a low level char I am leveling at this moment : I came up to a claim with quest tree in it and I couldn't touch it because it was owned. It shouldn't be owned, it should just be like local resources, non claimable whether it is on a claim or not. And let me guess: this doesn't exist yet : either its on a claim and its claimed and either its not on a claim and its not claimed. So the solution for the problem is : let people be allowed to put a claim on it but let it be touchable and interactive for all.
Lurux

Postby AHONEN » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:23 pm

It would be terrible if I got nomad quest and traveled all the way to other side of the continent to find a quest giver inside the palisade.
Luckily I've never had that experience, I've found some in v-claim but were not inside the wall.
My suggestion is if it's p-claimed it should be destroyed as a quest-giver. (Is it now like that? I've never seen p-claimed questgivers)
AHONEN

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Lurux wrote:I'm not saying the tree cannot be on a claim, I am saying it should not be claimable.

No matter what, even if the tree wasn't "owned" by the claim owner, it'd still be on that claim and you'd have to deal with the claim mechanics to get to the tree.

Lurux wrote:either its on a claim and its claimed and either its not on a claim and its not claimed.

Yeah, claims, personal and village, anyway, are pretty much binary like that.

If it's on a claim, you should still be able to interact with it, though you may need criminal acts on depending on permissions. A simple claim never prevents anyone from interacting with anything, only adds hurdles to actually do so. Note: to get the precise answer here relative to the nature spirits, I'd have to dig back through patch notes and other posts as it's been a while since this was last discussed. I've certainly ran into enough claims over trees in the wild with "white permissions" set so that players can interact with the tree, but have to commit vandalism to actually chop it down.

As and FYI, localized resources can be claimed, but requires a village claim to do so, and then acts as an authority object with significantly higher drain than other authority objects.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Hasta » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 pm

We have a questgiver on a Village claim in our area, it can be interacted with Criminal acts on, but interacting with it (as in: greeting it, emoting at it, reporting back to it and even bringing it random junk) doesn't leave a scent or something.

So, basically, you have to have Criminal acts toggled on and if the questgiver is not behind walls you are free to complete quests.
Hasta

Postby Lurux » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:19 pm

Ok so :
For new chars which have this tree as a quest object : they need to put criminal acts on - they don't have trespassing yet so they cannot continue the quest.
Its only from the moment they have trespassing they can do the quest.
Honestly I will just get trespassing on my char.. np for me.. but for new players I don't know how they will manage.
I do like the idea : if the quest tree is claimed, just make it dissapear out of the list of the quest tree pool.
Good to know about the local resources - did't know they were claimable by villages.
Lurux

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas