How mudflat 'tiles' can be refilled.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

How mudflat 'tiles' can be refilled.

Postby mvgulik » Sun May 17, 2020 7:12 pm

Split-off content from topic Are Mudflats refillable?.

mvgulik wrote:Mmm. Near the end of world 11 I encountered a soil spot inside a mudflat.
And the given explanation for that (think it was at Discord Rob wiki channel) was that someone might have dropped/inserted some soil into that location. (in hindsight that makes not 'that' much sense)
This of course conflicts with not being able/allowed to insert soil/clay/stuff into mudflat tiles.

Ergo: Time to do a little checkup.
Yep.
Mudflad terrain resists inserting stuff. (Seems any/all stuff ... checked with: Soil, Worm, Granite (stones, etc), Stone axe (user items), and of course Acre/Red-Clay (any clay))

(Guess my initial thought on the soil-spot inside a mudflat was still the better one. Probably super-grid-corner related (although I never checked that part, ... (Which seems to not fit either - lol) ).)

Thaydi wrote:I've found a dirt spot on a flat surface on a mudflat too. It means that it wasn't made by someone, but instead it spawned naturally.

mvgulik wrote:
Thaydi wrote:I've found a dirt spot on a flat surface on a mudflat too. It means that it wasn't made by someone, but instead it spawned naturally.
Aha, thanks for confirming this is also still possible in the world 12 version.

That (natural generated) idea also crossed my mind. (although some time after writing my previous post)

Lets see ... Think I call it a "None polygon-shaped single-terrain-type area world generator hiccup". ;)

... Makes we wonder a bit how those cases are processed by the client(s) (as these cases seem to not visual show up on the map(s))
... If its a general thing ... there seems to be the possibility (of detecting this) also on other terrains that generate other stuff than soil.

Moved / Split this particular terrain-point oddity to a separate topic. Terrain map-point hickups

--- --- ---
Last edited by mvgulik on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Re: Terrain map-point hickups.

Postby nero1141 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:49 pm

you can stomp to dirt mudlfats
i destroyed one thinking i can try and put survey flag there after i stomp it
nero1141

Postby mvgulik » Sun May 17, 2020 7:53 pm

nero1141 wrote:you can stomp to dirt mudlfats
i destroyed one thinking i can try and put survey flag there after i stomp it

Good point. I forgot that part (again ... ie: did not check that ...)

Would explain why I have never seen any similar reports related to other terrain-type combinations.
mvgulik

Postby mvgulik » Mon May 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Yes, you can turn a mudflat-tile into a dirt-tile (which gives dirt instead of clay).
But if I'm correct those dirt-tile's should be temporary, ... well, at least for forest terrains that is. (on fully mudflat enclosed dirt tiles, probably not. ...)
(made two marked "stumped to dirt" spots on different terrain-types, to be looked at at some later time)

Details: When digging, all four corners of the dirt-tile will give soil, ... when the click is made inside the dirt-tile.
(note: amber client will not auto update its displayed grid, which starts to matters if the tile height has changed enough. (Ender client will auto-update grid))
But when the click (targeting same four dirt-tile corners!) is made on the neighboring mudflat tile, they will still give clay.
So the grid points in this case have a somewhat dual behavior.

(lacking w11 case data to confirm that that was a case of a "stomped dirt" tile.)

Now:
1) IF "dirt spots" revert back to mudflat over time.
Then:
2) Logic, based on the above dual grid-point behavior, also makes Acre/red-clay a (definite, and '[i]relative' easy[/i]) infinite resource. (with, of course, a higher cost/work-load if one needs/want to go that way)

(prerequisite: client with tile-grid-lines option, of course (Ender client advised))

(Note: Although the title says "hickups", this grid-point duality behavior is more a not so directly apparent (but still logical) game behavior, which is (probably)(a bit) more server-CPU efficient and with less potential (user friendly) behavioral problems. (ie: probably intentional and not a bug of any kind)

---

Only found, related post: Digging acre clay. (Oct 15, 2015) (Jorb - Suspect you dropped on terrain or dirt at the edge of the acre clay, or whatnot.)

In this case the surplus soil 'could' have been turned into clay ...

---

In practice:
- Workable, kinda ... with a bit of practice.
- Downside: Land Survey can't be used to refill dirt at the dirt/clay-border. Making it a click-a-lot feast. (only single dirt item per refill-click)
- Dirt vs Clay ratio: 1:1.

... think that's about it.
Last edited by mvgulik on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
mvgulik

Re: How mudflat 'tiles' can be refilled.

Postby mvgulik » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:41 pm

mvgulik wrote:- Downside: Land Survey can't be used to refill dirt at the dirt/clay-border. Making it a click-a-lot feast.

Actually ... its not 'that' bad.

Although a survey will not do 'all' points. It is taking the sting out of it.

1) Fully filled. Ready to harvest some clay. (620 units max per refill session in this setup)
2) Mid way. Center needs to be lowered first of course. (Diagonal tiles next to center-tile are clay, rest is dirt)
3) Fully emptied. Time to refill.
4) Fully refilled again. (for locals that need a wee-bit higher Q than 10.)
(A similar single clay tile (3x3) setup would give 120 units per refill session. Is probably easier to work with (full refill & deplete wise).)

... Lets change the topic tile ...
mvgulik

Re: How mudflat 'tiles' can be refilled.

Postby vatas » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:07 am

I should've been more vocal about this when previous world reset was announced, but Mudflat should really be it's own type of terrain tile, separate from "dirt."

Optimally they would naturally fill up slowly by increasing the elevation of their deepest parts.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to Critique & Ideas