Global pool, item recursion limit ?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Global pool, item recursion limit ?

Postby mvgulik » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:13 am

While doing a lot of soil digging, I noted the global pool giving a relative high percentage of low q stuff. Like at Q 1.
Now I imagine most players will just dump stuff like that again. Which would then, depending on the pool workings of course, end up in the global pool again.

1) is there anything in play that prevents the pool from filling up more and more, percentage wise, with stuff that most players immediately trow away again ?
2) Is the pool modifying the Q of items that pass trough it ?
mvgulik

Re: Global pool, item recursion limit ?

Postby mvgulik » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Recently found a master key in the ground.
Which looked suspiciously like the key I had thrown away not that long before that.

... Lets toss it again, and see what happens.

===

Master keys do seem to stick around some how. Guess I'm not the only one in the neighborhood tossing them around.
Last edited by mvgulik on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Postby vatas » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:25 pm

This is a valid question.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:22 pm

mvgulik wrote:1) is there anything in play that prevents the pool from filling up more and more, percentage wise, with stuff that most players immediately trow away again ?

Well, yes (it is certainly not of infinite size), but the digging pool is not global, it is local, so if you keep throwing away the same stuff, then yes, you'll keep finding it again in the same place.

[quote="mvgulik"2) Is the pool modifying the Q of items that pass trough it ?[/quote]
No.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Dondy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:56 pm

If you toss your junk onto paving or drop it on the floor in a house it doesn't go into the local pool, no? It disappears forever?

I am always charmed when I find a q2 taproot or bone while I am digging - it means that long before some little nub was trying to survive where I am now. History.
Dondy

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:00 pm

Dondy wrote:If you toss your junk onto paving or drop it on the floor in a house it doesn't go into the local pool, no? It disappears forever?

No, both of those technically go into the local pool, though in the case of inside a house, that pool would be local to the inside of the house, so practically disappeared forever. Arguably, that may be subject to optimization. :)
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Well damn... there went the one reliable means of disposing goods I'd found. (Yes, I've been keeping a secret for a while now.)

I like the global pool overall, but too much crap really does pile up in it, and it could use some optimization.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I like the global pool overall, but too much crap really does pile up in it

I kind of doubt that is true. It does have some built-in culling of different kinds. It's not just a giant pile of literally everything thrown into it.
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Maybe people are just throwing that much junk away that frequently, then, or much of it is "recycled" junk people pick up and throw back out. I don't do a lot of dirtwork, but the last time I did, it was beyond the point of annoyance. I didn't track how much crap I picked up and piled for "other disposal," so can't say a specific level for comparison to others, but, going from memory, it was at a comparable rate to collecting cat gold or shells from mining. Could be others that were working in my area was just dropping the things and it went back into the pool for me to dig out. /shrug
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:05 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I don't do a lot of dirtwork

Well, if you were referring to digging, as opposed to fishing, then, as mentioned above, the digging pool isn't global but local, so if you keep dropping the stuff you find, then indeed you will keep finding it.
loftar

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas