Allow full buckets in inventory, but reduce to crawl

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Allow full buckets in inventory, but reduce to crawl

Postby vatas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Title. You could carry full buckets in inventory, but as long as you have at least one in your inventory, you can't move faster than at crawl speed.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Allow full buckets in inventory, but reduce to crawl

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Why not just let buckets in inventories. You can sprint while carrying three buckets, 75l in belt, and 100l in a barrel.
There was probably a reason to not allow buckets in inventories when that change was added, but it was so long ago I don't even remember it. Pretty sure the purpose behind it is no longer relevant.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MrBunzy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:51 pm

I thought the purpose was to force you to fill your toolbelt with waterskins instead of tools.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:45 am

well, maybe the purpose was (and still is) "you can't put full bucket of anything (other than cavedust) in your backpack withouth it getting out of the bucket"?
so if it would be allowed - you should loose 1l of content for every tile you walked.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby ctopolon4 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:05 am

mb just reduce stamina consumption or increase stamina bar? or it is part of funniest gameplay :" all time hold drink button pressed"
ctopolon4

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:There was probably a reason to not allow buckets in inventories when that change was added, but it was so long ago I don't even remember it. Pretty sure the purpose behind it is no longer relevant.

Pretty sure it was to nerf the exact same water meta from world 7 that has reoccurred due to 24 slot belts being stuffed full of waterskins. Pretty sure you're right that it's no longer relevant... except that people would run around with 72 L of water on their belt and another 120ish? L in their backpack. (More if you can give up hand slots for t-sacks or if I'm counting the size of the inventory wrong.)

I've suggested one way of nerfing this water meta that shouldn't impede the ability of people to get in a chase and pvp, but nobody that actually participates in a chase seems to think it a good idea.

I don't want to derail the suggestion, but the problems then are still problems now because the underlying pursuit mechanics are flawed. it'd be nice to have back, though.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 pm

BTW if you fill up inventory with waterflasks you only lose 1.33 liters per inventory slot compared to buckets.

I've suggested one way of nerfing this water meta that shouldn't impede the ability of people to get in a chase and pvp, but nobody that actually participates in a chase seems to think it a good idea.

Can you PM me the idea?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:25 pm

vatas wrote:BTW if you fill up inventory with waterflasks you only lose 1.33 liters per inventory slot compared to buckets.

That's per inventory slot, which is, currently with a merch robe, backpack, and bonus extension from sub/verify, is 42 spaces, or 56 liters of water--5 buckets+. IMO, the PvP gang doesn't want to see the water go away. it's too much a tool of the dedicated warrior vs anyone else. Yet at the same time, they've been the loudest to complain about "all this water."

Again, I really don't want to derail this thread with this discussion, but it is why this restriction was put into place back at the start of w8 IIRC.

vatas wrote:Can you PM me the idea?

PM sent, but more so I don't ramble on here.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm

It's pretty dumb that you have to carry a bunch of water to be outside and not risk getting dunked, and it's never really explained.

But people that are acting like everyone carries a full toolbelt and inventory of water, and fights are determined by who carries more water don't really know what they're talking about.

It'd be nice if water wasn't such an inventory burden at all times, but jorb doesn't seem to really agree so it's not going to change.
DDDsDD999

Postby hektor96643 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:49 am

... or at least make it possible to hold a empty bucket in a belt slot.
hektor96643

Return to Critique & Ideas