Display remaining time

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Display remaining time

Postby Nektaris » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi, I'm a new player and I've been playing Haven for 2 weeks.

Is it possible to implement a "time left before completion" (game time) for items on drying frames and tanning tubs, all crops, curiosities, all lit structures?

There are probably other things that I'm not aware of that could benefit from this addition.
I don't see any downsides, it's just a QoL addition :D
Nektaris

Re: Display remaining time

Postby Flameturtle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:47 pm

The devs like a little mystique when it comes to numbers like this. There are other options: The Wizards Tower, but I believe this is a deliberate design choice for the standard client.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby DPblH » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Nektaris wrote:I've been playing Haven for 2 weeks

Default client have no such feature for more than 11 years. The main feature of default client - no features at all.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:55 am

DPblH wrote:Default client have no such feature for more than 11 years. The main feature of default client - no features at all.

Mining radius for the supports have been added. A search function for the crafting recipes has been added, A world map has been added--with custom markers! Custom hot keys were even recently added... They're not completely unwilling to listen to such suggestions, and have even, back at the beginning of the world, asked what features players really want the most. No, the standard client isn't going to get all the features that Ender, romov, apxeolog, ardennessss, shubla, and others have packed into clients, but they aren't just ignoring it, either. I've been getting on a few others about this style of post that just comes across, at least to me, as hateful, or, at a minimum, angry. If you have a direct message for jorbtar, state it directly without derailing other's threads. Thanks.

Nektaris wrote:Is it possible to implement a "time left before completion" (game time) for items on drying frames and tanning tubs, all crops, curiosities, all lit structures?

As far as the time issue... I'm not sure. Yes, it is nice to have. Some modded clients do give exact times* for items where the players have figured it out and posted it to the RoB wiki. Other items feature a more precise percentage indicator than what you see in the default client. The 'not sure' part comes in when players start complaining about lost time, timers are shorter than they thought, etc.

*exact being a relative term here as server time can vary by some percentage over the course of days or weeks, but seems to average out to a specific value over the years
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby pawnchito » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:11 am

MagicManICT wrote:
DPblH wrote:Default client have no such feature for more than 11 years. The main feature of default client - no features at all.

Mining radius for the supports have been added. A search function for the crafting recipes has been added, A world map has been added--with custom markers! Custom hot keys were even recently added... They're not completely unwilling to listen to such suggestions, and have even, back at the beginning of the world, asked what features players really want the most. No, the standard client isn't going to get all the features that Ender, romov, apxeolog, ardennessss, shubla, and others have packed into clients, but they aren't just ignoring it, either. I've been getting on a few others about this style of post that just comes across, at least to me, as hateful, or, at a minimum, angry. If you have a direct message for jorbtar, state it directly without derailing other's threads. Thanks.

There is just a general lack of convenience things in the default client. That's why people get miffed whenever the default client is brought up. Like yes the things you say were added are great and all but would so many people play if there was only default choice of client? Im willing to bet a good deal of people would not simply because tediousness and carpal tunnel are not the ingredients for a fun game. Some stuff is cool to hide behind mystique and the like but some things are just needed as a part of the official client.

I think that people aren't angry or hateful about the client, i think people are passionate about this game and feel like the default client is not a good representation of what awesome things this game holds. This is already a niche game, adding a further barrier to entry into the game by using the official product just turns away even more players.

The best you can do Nektaris is use the % shown and the wiki to do some napkin math and figure out how much time is left for something to finish.
pawnchito

Postby Nektaris » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:08 am

The mystique argument is kinda pointless because I can figure out the remaining time by myself, it's just a bit annoying not knowing it straight away.

For casuals like me it's a nice addition though.
It lets me plan out everything according to my RL schedule.
Nektaris

Postby DPblH » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:13 am

MagicManICT wrote:Mining radius for the supports have been added.

Mining radius and quality displaying (in a game about quality) added after 10 years of "development". This features added in so unintuitive way, so most of new players will never find this. Just accept the fact that client is made for screenshots to post them at facebook. Devs do not play their game, thats why we get one feature every 3 years.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby Nektaris » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:36 am

I'm using the default client and so far the experience has been nice.
It's just missing some QoL features that should be really easy to implement.

Why not implement one of those features with every update?
Nektaris

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Nektaris wrote:I'm using the default client and so far the experience has been nice.

The devs actively do not want many of the custom client features in the official game client.
DDDsDD999

Postby Nektaris » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:19 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
Nektaris wrote:I'm using the default client and so far the experience has been nice.

The devs actively do not want many of the custom client features in the official game client.

That's understandable, but this feature really is harmless! It doesn't break immersion as it's displayed in haven time.

Basically this feature already exists, just in a different format!
If something takes 5 days to dry/grow, the white circle representing time passed will be half full.

We can keep the white circle thing, but we can also have the remaining time in numerical format when hovering over the item!
Just two different formats! That's all ;)
Nektaris

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas