How to kill/cheese a troll ?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How to kill/cheese a troll ?

Postby AriZona » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Could somebody suggest strategies to kill a troll (upper levels; let's say L1-5)? And, what would be the recommended stats?

Thanks
AriZona

Re: How to kill/cheese a troll ?

Postby vatas » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:25 pm

My friend once almost successfully cheesed a troll by fighting next to minehole ladder and going to another level to close openings. But as foreshadowed by the word "almost" he died because at one point the troll decided that it couldn't path to my friend and used the cave-in special attack. Friend was KO'd and executed.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:28 pm

mine a doughnut > smack it once > 4th speed away from it > dash until no openings > smack it once > don't fuk up or you die > repeat
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby pawnchito » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:51 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:mine a doughnut > smack it once > 4th speed away from it > dash until no openings > smack it once > don't fuk up or you die > repeat

this is as close to cheesing as ive seen. worked pretty swell too.

what about not cheesing one, what stats should a crew of 3 have you reckon?
pawnchito

Postby Timibertlense » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:53 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:mine a doughnut > smack it once > 4th speed away from it > dash until no openings > smack it once > don't fuk up or you die > repeat

this but with bow is more safe ;)
Timibertlense

Postby AriZona » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:37 am

If I understand correctly you are suggesting to use melee attack it? Would be safer to use a bow? Old-fashioned safety is still my concern :)

yes - I am also curious about hearing some general guidance on stats...
AriZona

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 am

AriZona wrote:I am also curious about hearing some general guidance on stats...

Pretty sure I couldn't solo even a level 1 troll in a *fair fight* even with 1.2k+ stats and q300 items. You'll probably have to run around at least a little, no matter the stats, unless you want wounds+ugly damage on your armor.

AriZona wrote:Would be safer to use a bow? Old-fashioned safety is still my concern :)

If you're decent enough at running/drinking you can probably use a hunter's bow.
Either way, melee or ranged, it would be equally dangerous lol

pawnchito wrote:what about not cheesing one, what stats should a crew of 3 have you reckon?

If you have low stats, I can't stress this enough: it depends so much if you have both UA and MC fighters
Trolls pussy out real fast when they have high openings, they stop attacking and start restoring like crazy. We used to spam red+blue when we were weak, but we only had one MC fighter (quick barrage for red opening). The day he couldn't come I got wounded really bad, cause we couldn't open red fast enough so the troll kept hitting us.

If you guys have high stats and nice b12's, you can probably just spam uppercut+sideswipe. But keep in mind that 4 people with 350 stats are probably much better than 3 people with 600 stats or whatever, you get the idea :D

Also random tip if you don't know yet, the troll will always attack the closest target, so push yourself real close to his hitbox when you want to tank.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby MadNomad » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:41 pm

if you have a shallow lake close enough to the troll (if it's not just next to you perhaps you could just take a lot of water and sprint, maybe even with an alt if you're not too confident about this) you could use it with a rowboat or snekkja to stack points and then raise opening once, swim away and reduce openings on yourself, repeat, and then use damaging moves once opening on troll is high enough

of course the lake must be big enough(10x10 might not be too comfortable even if you are very fast) and with a good enough shape (so you can keep going in circles or in any way that makes you able to stay away at all times)
MadNomad

Return to How do I?