Project: "New Player Guide"

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Project: "New Player Guide"

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:22 pm

I've been trying to work on this the several couple of months, but I find myself not wanting to work on it for one reason--screenshots. I hate taking them, organizing them, and then editing them for the appropriate size, markups, or... whatever is needed. I'm just going to write the guide. If anyone, after I start getting parts of it together, wants to add images, go for it. I'm going to try to add a few notes here and there for suggestions. Or I'll add them over time as I think about it.

I'm doing it on the wiki so it becomes a community project and anyone is free to update it as they see fit. I had this discussion with Sevenless back when he started working on his, but we didn't see eye to eye. I don't disagree with him, but there's also the problem of 'copyright' and access to update a set of forum posts vs wiki articles. Another advantage is I'll be able to use hotlinks to more specific information on the wiki. If people want to deface it or make it "less" than what it needs to be... well, they might earn my ire... or I might not really care. My version will be in the history.

Other than that, help with proofreading, editing, correcting my terrible writing... whatever help people can provide. I'll try to update this as I get sections done. Right now, I have "nothing" on the wiki, but plan on changing that over the next couple of weeks.

As far as goals, I'm not aiming for a large video game guide on how to optimally do everything, find everything in the game type of thing that used to come out (do those even exist anymore outside of Youtube and blogs?) It definitely needs to be more than just the bare necessities: "This is how to interact with the game--right click everything." That's not really enough.

I've set a rough outline up, and it's what I'm working off of for now. http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/User:MagicManICT/Tutorial If anyone has any other suggestions, leave comments here or on my user page on the wiki.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Project: "New Player Guide"

Postby vatas » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:29 pm

I had similar idea at one point, and decided to instead improve relevant wiki pages (or at least to start by that so I could outsource them to more accessible wiki pages.)

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Character_Creation I'd say this part is pretty much complete or at least fully serviceable.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:40 pm

The idea is that it will have the ability to link multiple parts of the wiki together into a single place where we can tell a new player "check this out here." Much of what is a "guide" on the wiki page can move to the "new player" section so that the main wiki page can be purely informational.

This will be over time, of course. Much of the wiki is a bit disorganized. Much information is duplicated in more than one place making maintenance over time more complicated.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:51 pm

Makes sense.

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Foraging is also looking good, but perhaps following clarifications could be added.
-With starting survival value of 1, everything you forage will be quality 1.
-All forageables have base quality of 10, but much of the game world is covered with nodes that increase it by varying numbers

Basically, pre-emptive explanation to question "I raised survival to 11 why are taproots still q10" (might be overthinking/underestimating people.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vatas » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Combat basics:

You should raise your Unarmed Skill (UA) to 10.
You can slot 2x http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Bark_Reinforcement into http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Sprucecap and http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Clogs for +2 UA bonus (nettle clothes give AGI penalty so I wouldn't recommend wearing them)
(How to set up deck, explain restorations and attack)
Ant swarm is weakest creature in the game that fights back, and is unable to enter even a shallow water.
Thus, finding a Anthill near water gives excellent, nearly risk-free opportunity to practice combat.
There's significant randomness in how fast ant swarm moves but you can gauge them as they patrol around the Anthill. (verify, I'm pretty sure that "super-ants" at least used to be a thing.)
Every time you use a combat move you will have to wait a cooldown determined by the move used and the relative agility of you and the target.
You can spam restorations while running away and engage the enemy while not having a cooldown to throw punch and continue kiting.
Kite the ant swarm along the shoreline and run into water if you find yourself at disadvantage. Discretion is the better part of valor.
You will gain small amount of LP upon defeating the ant swarm and have a chance of a combat discovery.

vatas

Postby Acefirebird » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:06 pm

First off, thank you for taking on this project. I think this game has suffered more than it should because new players are screwed in terms of quality explanations and guides. Accessibility is low, so-to-speak.

I have two suggestions that I think will make your guide significantly better than those that have come before:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. At the beginning of the guide, write a higher-thought-process description of what H&H is about and how the player should think about the game. It should answer questions similar to the following. What are the main challenges? What makes H&H a unique experience? What are some possible end-goals? What is the philosophy of H&H? What are veteran players up to?

2. ROADMAPS. The guides I've read so far don't explain the progression of the game very well. You don't need to go in depth, but cover the major sections of the game with an overview. Armor, tools, food, curiosities, shelter, so on. I think numbered lists would work best. This will give the player a good vision of what they're working towards and where they are. As a sloppy example:

Clothing / Armor Roadmap:
1. Spruce Cap w/ taproot lacing, Clogs with Taproot Lacing (+survival)
2. 2 sets of Nettle Pants and Shirts gilded with Taproots Lacing (+survival)
3. Hide clothing with whatever gilding idk
4. Leather Armor (Armour :geek: )
5 ect.

Obviously whatever roadmap you write will be up to interpretation, but give the players an easier time by making tiered lists. Do the thinking for them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would encourage you to implement those two suggestions, however you are welcome to change them or omit them as you see fit. Best of luck.
Spooky.
Acefirebird

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:14 am

Just to note: I do have some thoughts scratched out on notepad, but before I actually start posting anything, I do want some extra feedback.

@vatas: Some of that is useful, some I think might go beyond what I'm trying to do, at least. People will be free to upgrade what they want, add their own sections, etc. Anyone with a wiki account on RoB has their own user pages they can setup for guides. useful information can then be moved to the main body of the wiki. I really want to make sure that I'm covering the bases that might not show up in the in-game guides jorb and loftar are working on.
MagicManICT

Postby WowGain » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:32 am

Perhaps information (for those that aren't using custom clients- which are likely to be your brand new players) on what all mobs are aggressive and how best to avoid and escape them if they aggro on you when you are at a position stat-wise where you have no chance of properly taking them on face-to-face
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:09 am

well, first of all, good luck with your project.
And I think you should start with a clear answer on "what exactly are you trying to make?"
the "Guide" itself could be something like a bunch of intro-texts + some text-between-chapters for Glossary, so it will just introduce base game aspects to a new player, or it can transform into "How to click the mouse to become player like me with my playstyle" (which is most of the ppl trying to do).
And if you're for the first, try to avoid doing something like "you need to up your survival asap, so go and make some clothes with surv gildings on hour one".
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:38 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:And I think you should start with a clear answer on "what exactly are you trying to make?"

A basic instruction manual. No idea when jorbtar will be done with the in-game version, but it will probably lack anything more than the bare basics. I don't plan on going quite as far as Sevenless myself, but have no issues with people expanding on the work either after I'm done with it, or while I'm working on it.

For now, I have it set up in my user section on RoB, and I'm not sure if anyone can access it to edit those pages other than myself and someone with admin privileges, but once I actually get some content posted, I'll see about moving it to a more appropriate location.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to How do I?