Mastery System - WARNING: EXTREME FUN

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Mastery System - WARNING: EXTREME FUN

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:43 am

Another way this system could greatly promote playing, keep worlds alive longer and give people a massive sense of accomplishment would be to make some of the accountbound achievements only available for 1 world.

Would probably be related to newly implemented and thematic things, like this world would have been a great 1-time achievement for mining a certain number of gem boulders.
Having some exclusive rare hat or emote on your account for stuff like this would add a major sense of value to your playtime, tasks could be made sufficiently long to keep players playing later in to the world.
Also, these tasks could be implemented part way through the world as new curios and content is added, so even if the new content is kinda meh it could add a sense of value to them by making the study, eating or foraging of them coincide with a 1-time achievement.
Zentetsuken

Postby WowGain » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:snip

fomo is powerful and its basically how most MMOs retain players nowadays
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby vatas » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:48 pm

WowGain wrote:

I'm not saying a represent majority of potential players, but all the already gone fomo-stuff from the past 10 years in current WoW is making me less interested to even attempt to get into it.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:36 pm

vatas wrote:
WowGain wrote:

I'm not saying a represent majority of potential players, but all the already gone fomo-stuff from the past 10 years in current WoW is making me less interested to even attempt to get into it.

I think as long as fomo inducing 1 time items remain cosmetic they will simply be like fun trophies rather than a discourager
unlike WoW there isn't a bunch of public areas with 100s of people standing around where you can showcase some hyper rare mount or something like that
bragging should definitely be fun, but I don't think the trophies in this game would ever be as meaningful
Zentetsuken

Postby Clemence » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Yea thats great ideas, much work for jorb :D , can softening the quality cap frustration. love it.
the limit is what rewards for it, it must not unbalance the game.
it's also a solution for the boring end game/need for world resset problem.
Clemence

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Additional idea to add to this -

Challenges

IRL holidays and other random special events can be paired with a short time frame to accomplish a goal and get an achievement

random example -

During thanksgiving, turkeys spawn for 3 days or a week or something
If you can kill and butcher 100+? turkeys in 3 days you get the Gobbler Guillotine achievement which awards you with a native headdress hat.

Also, all the turkey meat and feathers you hoarded during this short time would become more and more valuable over time as tradables if they are decent curios and meats
Zentetsuken

Postby ydex » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:26 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:This what credos should've been tbh. Rewards that aren't good enough to go out of your way for, but if you just like doing something specific enough you get a small booster curio and some cosmetic flair.

omg this!
bold
ydex

Postby SkyFury » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 pm

This ideas can perfectly be implemented with "battle pass" like other games do.
+ money to developers
+ content\achievements\goals to players
SkyFury

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 am

SkyFury wrote:This ideas can perfectly be implemented with "battle pass" like other games do.
+ money to developers

Do you have any idea how much dev time and budget goes into creating such seasonal content? There's usually a fair sized art and animation team to maintain such a pace. Yes, some studios rely on this cycle to remain profitable.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
SkyFury wrote:This ideas can perfectly be implemented with "battle pass" like other games do.
+ money to developers

Do you have any idea how much dev time and budget goes into creating such seasonal content? There's usually a fair sized art and animation team to maintain such a pace. Yes, some studios rely on this cycle to remain profitable.

Games with seasons passes that we all know offer oodles of more content than anybody would ever expect from haven, and it's for way more involved games with way more demanding graphics and engines and communities. The work to create a "season" worth of content for these games is surely expensive and time consuming.

That being said, I think everybody concedes to the fact that adding a spark of life back in to this game will require more than a couple hours of dev time per week.
I don't think the idea of creating a bunch of achievements that offer aesthetic rewards, even if it were framed in a design like seasons, would really require any more effort that what is already expected and hoped for out of jorb and loftar. If they were going to work seriously on content that would add longevity and additional profit avenues to the game, I have to be positive and suspect that they might be willing to put in a little more effort.
Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas