Cave Anglers/Capes should act as a light source

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Cave Anglers/Capes should act as a light source

Postby spavaloo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:31 pm

Cave anglers have that big shiny lure but it doesn't output light, and neither do the capes. They should emit light equivalent to or slightly less than a torch.
Go to space
spavaloo

Re: Cave Anglers/Capes should act as a light source

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 pm

I think that there are some issues on supporting multiple light sources that probably won't be solved anytime soon.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:13 am

shubla wrote:I think that there are some issues on supporting multiple light sources that probably won't be solved anytime soon.

It probably just hasn't been tackled yet, but yes, I think you're right in that there hasn't been good support for light sources. I think I last read there was support for up to two sources of light.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:15 am

MagicManICT wrote:
shubla wrote:I think that there are some issues on supporting multiple light sources that probably won't be solved anytime soon.

It probably just hasn't been tackled yet, but yes, I think you're right in that there hasn't been good support for light sources. I think I last read there was support for up to two sources of light.

IIRC it was three and I once found neat video explaining why lights are hard to render but have never been able to figure out the search query I found it with.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Lighting is hard to render and there are many books on the matter... all at the $100+ mark. There is some information around the web on coding lighting systems, but its' pretty basic stuff and not much of a start on optimization... at least what I've read. Those that really know the shader systems are keeping it to themselves for several reasons, patents being one of the big ones.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:26 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Lighting is hard to render and there are many books on the matter... all at the $100+ mark. There is some information around the web on coding lighting systems, but its' pretty basic stuff and not much of a start on optimization... at least what I've read. Those that really know the shader systems are keeping it to themselves for several reasons, patents being one of the big ones.

I'm pretty sure that the basic ideas are available for free at least if you know where to look from... I'm pretty sure that many simultaneous light sources are quite computationally intensive to simulate so you have to do all kinds of workarounds for it to work properly (shadows, transparency comes to my mind first) and even then you may need a beefy computer to run it. Even in "quite recent" AAA+++ games like Witcher 3 I remember some lanterns magically turning on and off depending how far away you are from them.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby AlfredoGaming33 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:40 pm

+1
AlfredoGaming33
Under curfew

Postby spavaloo » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:48 am

I'm bumping this now that the multiple simultaneous light source matter seems to be solved
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby The_Blode » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:30 pm

It'd be neat if stuff like cave batteries also gave off a small glow
The_Blode

Postby gravesmerch » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:17 pm

The_Blode wrote:It'd be neat if stuff like cave batteries also gave off a small glow

they already give

and that green mushroom gives a nice light when you put in cellar walls
gravesmerch

Return to Critique & Ideas