Coronavirus

The Place Where Bad Threads Go To Die.

Re: Coronavirus

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:41 am

shubla wrote:
It's how tobacco companies were able to deny the probability of cancer for so many years.

One could argue that these days the process of doing science/statistics etc. is way more rigid and refined than it was 100's of years ago so you cannot compare these two.

Hundreds? More like a couple decades. (The major US tobacco companies were still denying the health risks of tobacco right up to the point they lost a civil suit in US courts in the 1990s.) And if anything, education has only declined if what one reads off of Facebook, reddit, etc the last few years is any indication. (It isn't, but it sure shows the general difference between those who've gone and gotten advanced degrees and those who merely have "basic education." The recent trend of 'yellow journalism' to sell news hasn't helped, either.)

The only real difference between the scientific processes of today vs the days of Newton (and the general Renaissance) vs Classic Greek is the base of knowledge and the technology to further delve into how things work.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:13 am

MagicManICT wrote:
shubla wrote:
It's how tobacco companies were able to deny the probability of cancer for so many years.

One could argue that these days the process of doing science/statistics etc. is way more rigid and refined than it was 100's of years ago so you cannot compare these two.

The only real difference between the scientific processes of today vs the days of Newton (and the general Renaissance) vs Classic Greek is the base of knowledge and the technology to further delve into how things work.

Even during the last few decades there have been major changes. Internet for example, making accessing, collecting and analyzing of data for research easier than ever. Also (maybe as a consequence?) amount of research publications has skyrocketed, there is a magnitude more research done today than 30 years ago. Of course, most of it is utter crap, but there are also more people who know what they are doing and can work more efficiently.

If tobacco and cigarettes were invented today, the harmful effects would very soon be detected. (Of course, one could argue that isn't social media cigarettes of the modern time, likely very harmful but not yet fully recognized?) oh well.
But biological effects of vaccines are a well studied field with lots of research.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:47 am

While I support people's right to choose whether to use modern medicine or not, I can't help but think of the irony of news items like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTzk9RouSY One of the US prosecutors that fought vaccine mandates died of covid.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:28 am

Group immunity evolution in progress.

> Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates.

> More and more conservative media leaders are dying from COVID-19 after advocating against vaccines.
I guess that's a insignificant minor plus.
mvgulik

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:15 pm

mvgulik wrote:Group immunity evolution in progress.

> Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates.

> More and more conservative media leaders are dying from COVID-19 after advocating against vaccines.
I guess that's a insignificant minor plus.

This pandemic might be the thing we lacked in evolution to filter out human stupidity, but I really wish people with health problems that can't get the vaccine and depend 100% on us providing the herd immunity were spared, instead they're casualties :cry:. Casualties caused by the type of retards that question people who studied medicine for 20-30-40 years and worked together large groups to develop a vaccine to help against the symptoms and spreading rate. The same type of idiots that drop out of school cause their brain lacks the power to process stuff beyond the level of a 5th grader. Or morons that "don't trust this strange substance" but put fucking random ass heroin from shady people in their veins, and combine cocaine with alcohol and wonder why they get heart attacks. The fucking retards that have 0 knowledge in a field and act as if they invented the field, obscenely stupid people.

God I wish we had some way to straight up spare the people who depend on herd immunity.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby shubla » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:40 am

Taliban is really hard on its grip...

Some European countries:
UK - All restrictions lifted.
France - Basically no restrictions for vaccinated, vaccine passport widely in use.
Germany - No restrictions if 3 vaccines, otherwise no entry to even a clothing store.
Sweden - Half a million infections weekly, but "basically no restrictions when compared to Finland" and next week they plan to lift them all.
Denmark - All covid related restrictions lifted from next Tuesday.

Meanwhile in Finland:
No contact teaching in school
No restaurant (except before 6pm because covid does not infect people before 6pm, strangely this only applies to people doing eating or drinking alcohol, no other activities allowed)
No theatre
No concerts
No any other culture
All events cancelled
No gyms
No swimming halls

No vaccine passports in use

No exact schedule for opening, continuous reminding about tightening restrictions even more, any moment if future looks even bit uncertain.

Still we have less people in hospital, more people vaccinated than some of the countries mentioned earlier.
They are planning to open restaurants until 9pm, oh how brave. But that will likely take a week or two just for the bureucracy.

Also the government wastes money, they ordered 6 million home tests for primary school children which arrived just last week. Now they're scratching their heads on what they will use them for, because apparently testing all primary school children is not practical. Why didn't they think that BEFORE ordering rapid tests with 10 000 000 €?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:37 am

Don't you love the way China is fighting Covid by turning shanghai in one big fuc.... prison.
Needles to say they are also ramping up there censorship on the matter. To, of course, protect "The PARTY" and its ... leader.

And than there are still Western/European countries that allow China to build some of there infrastructures. (feels to me like "Tying The Cat On The Bacon".)
mvgulik

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:54 pm

As the "pandemic" is now over, I figure we can go ahead and close this thread. For the new current thing, see the RU vs UKR thread.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Previous

Return to Hel