my opinion on mining

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

my opinion on mining

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:23 pm

mining hasn't seen much love so I figured id give my opinion on some QoL changes that would make me a lot happier while mining.

• Tunneling could use some qol, a simple stone structure that doesn't require metal or wood that only provides a 1x10 line would be amazing.
  • Dust piles are the best addition you've done to the caves add more localized resources to the caves in the form of gems to promote exploration of vast cave systems.
  • Add some form of cave wax to the caverns so I feel productive while exploring caverns in the early game.
  • Boulders bad make it a toggle. not a single person wants to be interrupted by this.
  • For whatever reason you're persistent on energy remaining in the game so why not add energy food to the cave systems so I'm not forced to teleport out?
  • The str requirement for certain rocks is insane, mining a tunnel for 20 mins only to be stopped by "you cant even scratch the rock" is really annoying.
  • reducing the overall water consumption while mining would be amazing, needing a barrel of 100l for a mining trip seems silly no?

These are the main culprits that stop me from really enjoying mining, constantly being interrupted by the games annoying mechanics forcing me to do something else when I just feel like mining for a couple hours.
Also the mine elevator is useless due to how far u usually find ore, teleporting a cart with 6 wheelbarrows is 100x better than a stationary elevator maybe buff it so it doesn't suck? making it a stationary teleport point that isn't vertical would work.

I have a bunch more ideas that could make the caves really worth it to explore and ill consider typing those out if you're interested.
Last edited by wonder-ass on Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Re: my opinion on mining

Postby DonVelD » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:29 pm

Huge +1, mining is a pain at the moment.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:20 pm

absolutely agree, huge +1

as somebody who mines every world, it becomes shallow and boring very quickly
any amount of even remotely helpful content down there would be huge, like the wax idea is pretty on point here

there is absolutely no need for anything in the game to be this tedious and resource consuming
Zentetsuken

Postby WowGain » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:23 pm

Big +1 on these
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby jorb » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:38 pm

Could like some of these. Thanks!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby bumfrog » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:43 pm

+1 many great ideas. Pls strongly consider
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:00 pm

Boulders are the big one.

Also, mine supports taking damage is also kinda annoying because it forces you to watch them. The lower levels have so many cave in tiles that the supports get destroyed so fast.
DDDsDD999

Postby Sevenless » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:23 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Boulders are the big one.

Also, mine supports taking damage is also kinda annoying because it forces you to watch them. The lower levels have so many cave in tiles that the supports get destroyed so fast.

From a player perspective, mine supports taking damage from cave ins doesn't add interesting gameplay or quality of life. Most of that comes from messing with the minesweeper if you're stubborn about spending less metal/wood.

Overall the mining system is loved (or love/hated) by quite a few people, it's not a bad system by any means, but definitely a couple small additions that would make it better.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby The_Lich_King » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:37 pm

wonder-ass wrote:mining hasn't seen much love so I figured id give my opinion on some QoL changes that would make me a lot happier while mining.

• Tunneling could use some qol, a simple stone structure that doesn't require metal or wood that only provides a 1x10 line would be amazing.
  • Dust piles are the best addition you've done to the caves add more localized resources to the caves in the form of gems to promote exploration of vast cave systems.
  • Add some form of cave wax to the caverns so I feel productive while exploring caverns in the early game.
  • Boulders bad make it a toggle. not a single person wants to be interrupted by this.
  • For whatever reason you're persistent on energy remaining in the game so why not add energy food to the cave systems so I'm not forced to teleport out?
  • The str requirement for certain rocks is insane, mining a tunnel for 20 mins only to be stopped by "you cant even scratch the rock" is really annoying.
  • reducing the overall water consumption while mining would be amazing, needing a barrel of 100l for a mining trip seems silly no?

These are the main culprits that stop me from really enjoying mining, constantly being interrupted by the games annoying mechanics forcing me to do something else when I just feel like mining for a couple hours.
Also the mine elevator is useless due to how far u usually find ore, teleporting a cart with 6 wheelbarrows is 100x better than a stationary elevator maybe buff it so it doesn't suck? making it a stationary teleport point that isn't vertical would work.

I have a bunch more ideas that could make the caves really worth it to explore and ill consider typing those out if you're interested.

+1 to energy food in caves... like we have rats but they are really sucky energy food.

+0.5 to str requirement. I don' want to see every part of a cave accessible by early world mining. A Hearthling with 22 str and a q10 axe shouldn't have access to to every spot BUT i do agree it is absolutely ludicrous how high the str requirement is on some surface level walls. I'd like to see it get more gradient.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Jakpat » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:36 pm

wonder-ass wrote:Also the mine elevator is useless due to how far u usually find ore, teleporting a cart with 6 wheelbarrows is 100x better than a stationary elevator maybe buff it so it doesn't suck? making it a stationary teleport point that isn't vertical would work.

Maybe some kind of mine cart system working similar to roads, slightly more expensive to build but with ability to send minecarts straight to elevator would be cool, dont know how useful exactly but definitely cool
Jakpat

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas