Mining changes ?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Mining changes ?

Postby Granny » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:14 pm

Hello hearthlings!

I have now managed to survive the first winter since w12, and have settled down. Finished my palisade, and looking towards the goal of mining. This has always been a real hurdle for me, and in previous worlds I have just skipped the first inital step and bought some metal early on. Now I realize there are a few changes since I last played. Stack furnace and mine elevator (!)to name a few. Has the core mechanics of mining also changed? I mined a few tiles of a cave, but did not get much stone in inventory, has the amount you get changed somewhat? I am terribly confused at this point, and trying to read up on as much as I can. Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Granny

Re: Mining changes ?

Postby XSurfer » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:23 pm

Well done Granny! I was too chicken to start in winter.

I don't think the core mechanics of mining have changed but last time I played was W10. Definitely new cave creatures, curios, craftable items, well, many new things were introduced. I sometimes will not get a single stone after mining a tile. I am guessing the chance to mine ore and stone increases the more mining skills you buy as well as better quality.
XSurfer

Postby Granny » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:05 pm

XSurfer wrote:Well done Granny! I was too chicken to start in winter.

Thanks!
Not something I will recommend for sure:)

XSurfer wrote:
I don't think the core mechanics of mining have changed but last time I played was W10. Definitely new cave creatures, curios, craftable items, well, many new things were introduced. I sometimes will not get a single stone after mining a tile. I am guessing the chance to mine ore and stone increases the more mining skills you buy as well as better quality.

Thanks, yeah it might be the mining skill that is too low still.
Granny

Postby cb111 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:24 am

Mining is more or less the same. Currently only tin and lead can be found on L1, copper is now L2 and lower. You should be able to find some ores fairly quickly if you prospect with rustroot extract. Also highly recommend you buy all of the mining related skills as quickly as possible for more ore & smelting chance
cb111

Postby Granny » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:51 am

cb111 wrote:Mining is more or less the same. Currently only tin and lead can be found on L1, copper is now L2 and lower. You should be able to find some ores fairly quickly if you prospect with rustroot extract. Also highly recommend you buy all of the mining related skills as quickly as possible for more ore & smelting chance

Thanks for the advice. I managed to find some lead, so now I am the proud owner of a stonestead! I am still figuring out this whole new mold system. So far I have access to some metal earlier than I have had in previous worlds, but further away from the iron ore which opens up the game so much more. Two main obstacles for my style of play are hardened leather and food. I am still undecided what I feel about these changes. While it certainly is more detailed in the steps you need to take, I am not entirely sure if that is adding to my enjoyment or now. Your mileage may vary of course.
Granny

Postby Granny » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:44 pm

Assuming I am lucky enough to find tin on level 1, I need to build a pyre first and then a mine hole to level 2 to get copper? A pyre is a requisite for all levels or just the deeper ones?

Hard metal is at best only after level 2 is reached?

It is possible to build a mine hole in a cellar now? How does one do with the whole security thing?

Still confused! Still reading....
Granny

Postby fishbro001 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:47 am

Granny, I miss you. I want to come to you for a visit, will you treat me with some smoked sausages and tea? <3
fishbro001

Postby Granny » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:16 pm

fishbro001 wrote:Granny, I miss you. I want to come to you for a visit, will you treat me with some smoked sausages and tea? <3

Oh how nice to be missed, but sadly I do not know you, nor have I interacted with you in previous worlds. I think. My mind is feeble, and I am easily confused. Maybe you mistake me for Cranny with a - C? I am Granny - > with a G.

Nevertheless! You are welcome as soon I am able to get some tea and make some smoked sausages.
Granny

Postby Miss_Min » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Granny wrote:Assuming I am lucky enough to find tin on level 1, I need to build a pyre first and then a mine hole to level 2 to get copper? A pyre is a requisite for all levels or just the deeper ones?

Hard metal is at best only after level 2 is reached?

It is possible to build a mine hole in a cellar now? How does one do with the whole security thing?

Still confused! Still reading....

The short answer to most of your questions is 'yes' :)

Regarding mine holes in cellars, the easiest security option is to build a palisade on the mine level. I have never personally bothered trying this because it still seems like a bit of a risk (and I've previously walked into a neighbour's cellar without committing any significant crimes). Do you know about terraforming to get rid of cliffs? makes it much easier to palisade off a cave entrance for your level one mine access when you only have to palisade a *little* bit of cliff :)
Miss_Min

Postby Granny » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:13 am

Miss_Min wrote:
The short answer to most of your questions is 'yes' :)

Regarding mine holes in cellars, the easiest security option is to build a palisade on the mine level. I have never personally bothered trying this because it still seems like a bit of a risk (and I've previously walked into a neighbour's cellar without committing any significant crimes). Do you know about terraforming to get rid of cliffs? makes it much easier to palisade off a cave entrance for your level one mine access when you only have to palisade a *little* bit of cliff :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, much appreciated. I will build a mine hole the ordinary way I think, since there might be something I do not understand about security there. I know how to secure a minehole at least.

I know that you can get rid of cliffs by terraforming, at least in theory. I think I have tried that previously and failed miserably:) You place dirt on the edge somehow? I do not remember.

I have access to lead from a cave now, and am saving up on leather to create a mine hole. That is a lot of squirrels! Even though mining was such a major hurdle to start up with in previous worlds, I have always liked that part of the game. The prospecting, the hunt for ore. The mindnumbing repetition of a silly task that makes you focus on that, and not RL stuff. I remember fondly the time I found silver and could buy all sorts of stuff at a market - paranoid enough to stack all silver on characters before I logged off. But that was in previous worlds where there were an abundance of ore to find. How it's scaled now I do not know. There are 9 levels now?! Oh my. I think I at most managed to get to level 4 or 5.
Granny

Next

Return to How do I?