Game Development: Clay & Some fixes

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Clay & Some fixes

Postby BigNoobie » Mon May 31, 2010 11:35 pm

So I've been out of game for quiet some time... still not really back with all the irl situation I have going on. But wondering does this new update mean it takes more then 110Str+pickaxe+ram for a single person to destroy a pally wall?
BigNoobie

Postby Zamte » Mon May 31, 2010 11:48 pm

There needs to be some way to destroy walls you own. I really don't care how, so long as it's not something ridiculously time consuming, or requiring 20,000 strength. We took over a village mate's old copper mine with a satelite village recently, and he was wall griefed. There are palisades strewn all around the mine area. We've smashed a clear path around the outside of his original wall and built a brick one, but there's still his original wall inside, which we need to remove for placing smelters, and some hanging out messily outside, which we'd like to remove for space for other things. There's probably 50+ total tiles of palisade. Even with the four of us, all with 100+ strength equipped, using picks and the ram, it takes 2 1/2 - 3 stamina bars per section, and about 15 minutes. Knocking down the 5 we needed to build the brick was fine, and I could see it for a misplaced wall section too. However the constant drying waits, the time taken per wall section, and the player requirement makes it totally infeasible for any sort of large demolition. I should not require a ram, three friends, twenty chests full of tea, or twenty full of food and a nearby river/well, and over 12 hours worth of game time, just to knock down a grief wall some idiot placed there nearly two months ago.

As for authority to revoke, this really isn't a huge issue. The owner of the mine I was speaking of wasn't online when the village claim went down, so we were having to build around his claim. For sake of curiosity I tried revoking it, and it would have cost me over 360,000 authority. New villages cap out at 250k, start much lower than that, and this claim was only like 25x25. If you've got a good sized hermit claim (Somewhere around 60x60 for my old one) they'll require several hundred thousand authority to revoke you.

I say either add the previously mentioned acid, and while it's on the wall section, you can use destroy action on it, and it will take the same period of time to destroy as it did to build, and the same stamina. Alternatively, the no soak on objects owned by the player (except in my opinion you should only be able to do it on your own claim or on land you have vandalism rights to, not on anything unclaimed) is a very nice option, because it'll also allow anybody who has a claim to have mastery over it. You guys go for realism, but how realistic is it to have to build a ram in your own city to knock stuff down? The need for a ram is due to the offensive role they play and the need for them to work quickly. Anybody who lived in the city could dismantle it piece by piece.
Zamte

Postby Industry » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:05 pm

I like the new update. Walls can actually defend you somewhat from lone griefers now, yay!

BTW, does ram quality affect its base damage like normal weapons?
Industry

Postby keyn_thror » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 am

Zamte wrote:Alternatively, the no soak on objects owned by the player (except in my opinion you should only be able to do it on your own claim or on land you have vandalism rights to, not on anything unclaimed) is a very nice option, because it'll also allow anybody who has a claim to have mastery over it.
Anybody who lived in the city could dismantle it piece by piece.

I can imagine, how medieval-age people build a brick wall around their town and place a big red "Dismantle" button on every section... :lol:

Guys, have you ever seen a real castle wall?
The one that is supposed to stop an attacking army with battering rams and such?
Something like this?

Can you dismantle it with bare hands? :)

Same with palisades:
Typical construction consisted of small or mid sized trunks of trees aligned vertically, with no spacing in between.
The trunks would be sharpened or pointed at the top end, and be driven deep into the ground on the other end.
They would sometimes be reinforced with additional construction.
As a defensive structure, palisades were often used in conjunction with earthworks.

Guys, just accept it.
One man cannot destroy such thing with bare hands.
Think before you build walls - it saves a lot of time later! :D
Last edited by keyn_thror on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none.
Победа не требует оправдания. Поражение не имеет его.
keyn_thror

Postby kralmir » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:21 am

give me a axe and id clear that entire wall within a day ....

(the palisade one ofcourse)
[5:09:24 AM] kralmir: shrek is love
[5:09:27 AM] kralmir: shrek is life

"It's a survival game, not a Survivor game." -Potjeh, feb 1st 2012.
kralmir

Postby agrielaiosh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:31 am

kralmir wrote:give me a axe and id clear that entire wall within a day ....

(the palisade one ofcourse)

... the last day, with you falling down cause of exhaustion :lol:
Nice wall update, so now ppl actually should think and plan their walls.. who could have thought that that would require such an effort ;)
agrielaiosh

Postby Potjeh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:19 am

I can guarantee you that IRL knocking down walls takes a lot less effort than building them.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby KillerofLawyers » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:57 am

That depends on the wall. A man can, after all, lay brick with his bare hands. He can't break the wall down with his bare hands once it's set though.
KillerofLawyers

Postby Potjeh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Making and handling mortar with bare hands is not a very good idea. And if there's no mortar, you can quite simply apart the wall without any walls.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Sarge » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Sarge wrote:Just started searching for some of the new resources.

Found 2 x gray clay, got LP for 'picking' both, only one went to my inventory, the other just dissapeared.

Found 3 x feldspar, got LP for 'picking' all three, 2 went to my inventory, the other just dissapeared.

EDIT: Is it because I'm full nature... sometimes I don't get any?

So... yeah/no/other?
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements