Future trading idea

Old C&I threads.

Future trading idea

Postby Clueless » Sat May 30, 2009 4:48 pm

I played the game for awhile and noticed that a person can become pretty much self reliant because there's no limit to skills and resources can be found almost anywhere. This means players have almost no reason to venture outside their home area. I propose 2 ideas that could help with that.

1. Give certain parts of the map special types of resources.(As in only certain kinds of plants can grow there and maybe ores.)Or make it so the map has certain types of regions that can give bonuses to various things. Like have it so farming and plants growing faster. Ores and mines are more plentiful in other areas. Things like that.

The above can be achieved maybe by giving the map a longitude, latitude system.

2. Trade caravans would be a good way to carry all this stuff between the town people will create. You could make it so someone has to make a wagon and hitch an animal to it. If you made it so players could build something like a trading post you make them act like way points so caravans get there on their own. Of course that makes them susceptible to players who find robbery fun. So players might still want to accompany the wagons. Unless you made it so players couldn't attack the wagons.

Well that's my idea for today. Hope you like it
Clueless

Re: Future trading idea

Postby sami1337 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:24 pm

I like it. You could also have region. For example, one region doesn't allow growth of a certain crop because of it's clay ground.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby loftar » Sat May 30, 2009 9:18 pm

We already have similar thoughts, actually. Mines are supposed to work exactly the way you say, in that they only can be built in certain places (at least only meaningfully so, so that you get ore from them); likewise, trees are supposed to grow faster when planted on forest terrain. I hadn't thought about plants previously, but it might be a good idea to only be able to plow some kind of terrain, indeed (actually, you can only plow grass and forest terrain, but it might be fun to restrict it further).

And yes, we definitely have plans for wagons and caravans. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sami1337 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:05 am

what about paths and roads? The ones now are just for show, but it would be nice to gain a speed boost while on them.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby loftar » Sun May 31, 2009 6:03 am

Heh, yeah; the ones that are now, are, of course, just dug clay that people use as roads. Not that I mind it. :)

But yes, we do plan on implementing the paving of stone roads. Their planned effects are 1) that it should consume less stamina to walk on them and 2) that wagons (once we implement such things) should be able to move a lot faster on them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Vattic » Sun May 31, 2009 7:28 am

About different regions yielding different resources, I like this idea. One excuse for having certain plants only grow in certain areas would be climate, an icy cold region for example wouldn't like us growing wheat for example but might have its own plants. Certain plants could have special effects on the hearthlings or be required to make certain things, this might stimulate trade.
Vattic

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas