Tele-Hearth-Port Button

Old C&I threads.

Tele-Hearth-Port Button

Postby zolointo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:36 am

I don't know if it's just me, but after walking into the wilds to harvest a load of lumber, clay, or ore, I much prefer to log out and log back in to be back in my home base.

How about, temporarily until something better is thought of, a skill/button that teleports you back to your hearth fire? Would have to come with a zero penalty cost as a logout/login has no penalty either and is exceptionally quick to do.
zolointo

Re: Tele-Hearth-Port Button

Postby jorb » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:08 am

As it is, people simply log out and then back in again to get back to their hearth fire. I agree that a teleport home would be better than the present situation.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby theTrav » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:38 am

I don't like the teleport idea... you'll miss all sorts of potential for fun on the walk home.

If it were possible to add a time out to the log out / log in teleport then that'd be preferable in my eyes
theTrav

Postby zolointo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:37 pm

>>I don't like the teleport idea... you'll miss all sorts of potential for fun on the walk home.

The idea is like Oblivion or Fallout 3's transportation. You're more than welcome to take the long way home, which I agree is preferable at times, but there's the option to cut to the chase if you want.

If you're hauling a load of whatever home and are looking to get there quickly, you're probably going to be at 3x speed. By the time you get home, you've wasted stamina that would be better spent on the build/craft/dig activities.

I guess the difference is in what we're proposing; final mechanic vs work-in-progress mechanic. I think the absolute fix would be something akin to World of Warcraft's Hearthstone.
- when you logout, you stay put
- when you login, you are located where you last left off
- you have an item which allows you to teleport to a defined spot, but comes with a 1-hour cooldown
zolointo

Postby shockedfrog » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm

As much as I hate to say it, WoW probably has the right idea. :) Teleporting home right now is a bit too convenient.
shockedfrog

Postby sami1337 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I think he just means to say having a teleport skill is better than using the :lo command.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby shockedfrog » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:59 pm

For now, yes (as long as it's subject to the same limits ie. can't warp away from combat)
shockedfrog

Postby Dwarfu » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:38 pm

I liked Oblivion's take on it - there are sometimes I like taking my time, seeing what little adventures I can get into, and other times when I want to just get home asap - like when I have a brace of coneys and there is just one more...over there...hopping around...taunting me...
Dwarfu

Postby shockedfrog » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:04 pm

While I'm not one of those anti-fast-travel people (though Oblivion was a disappointment for various other reasons) the thing that needs to be kept in mind here is that it's an offline, single player game, and one with a very different focus. In Oblivion, if you fast travel from one place to another, the only person it really affects is you, while in a multiplayer game like this, teleporting back home from somewhere else removes the potential interaction between you and anyone you may meet on that journey, whether that's just random passers by or bandits ready to ambush you, so by avoiding that journey you're kinda stealing a part of the game from them. I do feel that the ability to teleport home sometimes is a good thing that reduces wasted time between actual gameplay (and helps out those who get a bit lost) but allowing it freely means a lot of potential gameplay is lost.
shockedfrog

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas