Equipment Screen

Old C&I threads.

Equipment Screen

Postby Phaedris » Fri May 29, 2009 9:28 pm

I've being messing around designing a equipment screen it's still a WIP but I kinda like the way its turning out.
I didn't know exactly what each slot could take so I just added in some common ones.
They can be easily changed anyway.

(In use)

(empty)

I know making so many assets for a game can be time consuming and was wondering if you would accept any help?
I'm not great or anything but I'm getting better and learning all the time.
What sort of graphical style are you going for in the game?
Realistic proportions and colours or more stylized forms with brighter colours?
I have a few questions about your graphic's engine what bit depth does it support?
Does it allow transparency?
What format does the game use for assets?
Phaedris

Re: Equipment Screen

Postby sami1337 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Looks hella sweet, but there's too much unused space and generally is too large.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby niltrias » Sat May 30, 2009 11:14 am

Actually, I really like it. The equipment slots are larger, but I think it will make it considerably easier to see what is happening at a glance. It needs to be reduced in size overall, but the ratio seems about right. The guy in the middle could be comparatively larger.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Phaedris » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:21 am

Being working on the interface a bit more.
FullPic
Incorporated the day/night indictor with the health/stamina/hunger/happiness circling it.
Seen on some of the other threads about people saying the interface is a bit large, having the map and the equipment/inventory/character/kin buttons stay all the time but with the rest minimized would solve this I think.
Anyway what do you guy's think?
Last edited by Phaedris on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phaedris

Postby shockedfrog » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:27 am

I'm not too keen on that thing in the top left corner (the current bars and day/night display look fine to me) but the rest looks great. Knowing what each equipment slot is for is particularly handy, though there appears to be less in that than the current screen and I'd kinda miss the extra leech space. :)
shockedfrog

Postby theTrav » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:43 am

Yeah the top left circle indicator looks good, but appears to take up a fair bit of space... maybe make it the inner circle with the stone blocks sliding out to the right with the bars as close together as you can get them.

Mostly I think they aim is to have the UI take up as little of the screen as possible.

I hope the guys accept some help as it'd be good to see things speed up if they can afford to spend less time on basic UI stuff and spend their time fixing crash bugs and implementing new features/creatures.

You might also want to let them know if you're willing to just give them your work free of any licensing constraints.

I'd also be prepared for them to potentially say no, as doing the art is probably pretty rewarding for someone (hopefully there's enough in there for em to share it though)
theTrav

Postby theTrav » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:46 am

also while I'm making suggestions, the inventory screen could have the vertical columns moved closer to the center, and if possible the outer two borders could become transparant leaving only the raised frame and a few slots hanging over the edge. Move the close button to the raised border and no need for the Equipment title
theTrav

Postby Namer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:00 am

While you could have the health+food bars disappear and only appear when you click on them , wouldnt you want them to be seen all the time so you know that your hungry etc?? ( of course best bet would be to have both perhaps)
About the Equipment screen best to leave equipment on top for now, it could be easily shrunk in width to take up less room, i like the overall look so far it looks alot clearer.
Namer

Postby Phaedris » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 am

@theTrav
The equipment screen could have some parts removed to make it smaller but retain the size of the inventory slots.
As for licensing I'd like to know if they even want help or like what I have made before talking about that.
If they did accept help it would free up alot of time for more pressing matter's like game design and the server crashes.

Just to compare
(old)
(new)

I do agree that more of the UI could be scaled down or some of the uneeded space removed.
Phaedris

Postby theTrav » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 am

yep, the new UI definitely takes up less space and looks a bit nicer IMO. I still think you could (and should) go smaller. I'm a minimal UI fan though.

Also looking closely, you're missing a couple of slots compared to the old UI (16 vs 14)
theTrav

Next

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas