AFK display

Old C&I threads.

AFK display

Postby Vattic » Sat May 30, 2009 5:23 pm

A simple idea but it would be nice if there was a button you could click that announces that you are away from your keyboard, perhaps by leaving a speech bubble above your head with AFK written in it or something similar.

The reason I suggest this is that it can be annoying talking to someone when you find out they weren't even there.
Vattic

Re: AFK display

Postby sami1337 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:25 pm

I don't think that's going to happen. It will fill the UI.
However, something like this is already in. It's called sleeping. You will see ZZzzz
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Vattic » Sat May 30, 2009 5:28 pm

How do you sleep?
Vattic

Postby kaka » Sat May 30, 2009 5:36 pm

Go AFK for a while. ;)
kaka

Postby loftar » Sat May 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Actually, you can type in ":afk" in the main game window to go AFK at any time, but yes, it also happens automatically when you haven't touched the game for 5 minutes.

Speaking of which, there are other things which can be done as well with the same mechanism;
* :lo -- Logs out, returning the client to the title screen.
* :q -- Closes the client (as if you used the close button on the window).
* :fs 1 -- Experimental: Goes into fullscreen mode. May or may not work, as it has not received heavy testing yet. Maybe you can help with that. ;)
* :fs 0 -- Returns from fullscreen mode.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sami1337 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:47 pm

fullscreen would have been nice if it didn't actually scale the screen, but just makes the screen bigger so you can see more.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
sami1337

Postby loftar » Sat May 30, 2009 11:51 pm

sami1337 wrote:fullscreen would have been nice if it didn't actually scale the screen, but just makes the screen bigger so you can see more.

Good point. We've considered it in the past, but it just seems almost like cheating that people who happen to have better monitors would be advantaged by seeing more.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shockedfrog » Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 pm

I agree with limiting the view distance, but it'd be nice to be able to use extra screen space to get the current full view distance without having to minimize the bar.
shockedfrog

Postby sami1337 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:03 am

loftar wrote:
sami1337 wrote:fullscreen would have been nice if it didn't actually scale the screen, but just makes the screen bigger so you can see more.

Good point. We've considered it in the past, but it just seems almost like cheating that people who happen to have better monitors would be advantaged by seeing more.

I think it's fair to asume everyone has a resolution atleast larger than 1024 x 768 or even 12xx thingy.
And i don't think it would be cheating. If you play any commercial game and are forced to use a lower resolution you will miss out on the details that other people see. But you're the one not upgrading your pc to the standard.

I don't have a game pc or whatever (imac actually) but it's fair to assume people that play this have a widescreen resolution.

sami1337

Postby shockedfrog » Sun May 31, 2009 12:25 am

Assuming 1024x768 or higher is reasonably fair, assuming widescreen isn't.
shockedfrog

Next

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas