Game Development: Strawberry Turpentine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Strawberry Turpentine

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 am

mulamishne wrote:I think this change has proved to be EXTREMELY controversial, will you consider reverting it? At least until we can find a proper balance on it?

I don't think anything was PROVED other than "gankers like looting more than fighting". Though I don't think marauding was ever a part of warrior's path, mostly a thief's one, so I don't see what's wrong with this change. If you knocked someone and took a couple of items from the loser - think of it as a trophy, If you knocked someone and want to left him naked, you should definitely spend a lot of time for it, and I heavily doubt there was some real marauding while the fight is still on. Want a full-loot? Well, kill your prey. It's hard to kill someone? well argue on this, not on "we want insta-loot"
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby ctopolon4 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:22 pm

needs add dmg to frying pan too (& scythe & scissors & etc)
ctopolon4

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:let me explain why this change that specifically DOES NOT affect people who are way stronger than the people they're KOing only negatively affects gankers, and not fighters

If you're unironically trying to negatively influence development just because you dislike the people who play the game for reasons other than larp you should try to hide your intention at least a little bit
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby insanechef » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 pm

strpk0 wrote:
insanechef wrote:Huh why does that make a difference you either kill them or u can’t because of game mechanics

Sometimes just KOing someone and looting their stuff is satisfying enough, if now I (theoretically) have to stress about potentially missing out on loot because I didn't perfectly scan for it and click it off the person while being bogged down by the timer, suddenly it's very tempting to try to murder the guy from the start so at the end I'm guaranteed to be able to loot everything. I doubt this applies to PvP between experienced players because nobody would pop mrage and risk dying in that situation, it probably would exclusively apply to attacking people that can't defend themselves.

I see thank you for clarifying it didn’t occur to me people would just k.o. Peeps and not just kill them
insanechef

Postby mulamishne » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:32 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:I don't think anything was PROVED other than "gankers like looting more than fighting".

There's 10 pages of response with people with mixed opinions. The last update had 4 pages of response. It's obvious people have dissenting opinions on this.

Though I don't think marauding was ever a part of warrior's path, mostly a thief's one, so I don't see what's wrong with this change.

Looting has been part of near every conflict in recording history. I think it was around WW2 that countries decided it's kinda fucked up. This argument against it seems kinda weird.
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby azrid » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:32 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:If you're unironically trying to negatively influence development just because you dislike the people who play the game for reasons other than larp you should try to hide your intention at least a little bit

Isn't that SnuggleSnails MO?
azrid

Postby BoxingRock » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:19 pm

azrid wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:If you're unironically trying to negatively influence development just because you dislike the people who play the game for reasons other than larp you should try to hide your intention at least a little bit

Isn't that SnuggleSnails MO?

You realize that by publicly "abusing" bad mechanics that snail has probably been the cause for more noob-friendly updates and changes over the last 2 years than anybody else, right?

I've never seen him advocate for a change that would genuinely make the life of a noob more difficult, he just uses the mechanics that already exist in the game to do that.

Take a step back and you will realize that this thread is filled with dishonest, selfish people like Enjoyment who are only upset because they see Snail and other PVPers asking for a change. It doesn't even effect them and it's been explained perfectly clearly. They aren't interested in the actual nuances of the change, they are only interested in trying to get payback because they were likely stomped by a player who is exceptionally better than they are ingame. Rather than get good at the game I guess it's easier to log in to the forums and cry when they see their adversary asking for something.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby azrid » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:57 pm

BoxingRock wrote:I've never seen him advocate for a change that would genuinely make the life of a noob more difficult

He tried to make his noob bashing easier by having red handed thingwall teleports.
Be honest are you his villager or friend?
BoxingRock wrote:I guess it's easier to log in to the forums and cry when they see their adversary asking for something.

Snail is not my adversary. I have supported his ideas before if I judge them to be good enough.
azrid

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 pm

azrid wrote:
BoxingRock wrote:I've never seen him advocate for a change that would genuinely make the life of a noob more difficult

He tried to make his noob bashing easier by having red handed thingwall teleports.

Yesterday I KOed a korean at Rose of Sharon(monke), and broke some stuff at casuals(also monke). I still have murder scents near that other korean/monke base I forget the name of. Everybody who could realistically do something if they tracked me could very easily track me, the koreans even know all of their snekkjas are faster than my best one.

Today I killed some people, raided some willages, and extorted some hats. The whole time I was posting about it in the haven discord:

Things /literally/ couldn't be made easier for people to gank me, and I would die if they managed to. But they didn't even try. Nobody has tracked me while red handed all world, and most likely if they did I would be out still anyway because when you're doing hoodrat shit it usually lasts a few hours, and red hand doesn't affect when you go home. This point is important because basically the only reason the mechanics are the way they are is because some sperglords lied about wanting to gank red handed people, which hasn't rly happened.

Normally, I would just go in a circle with a snekkja so whenever I wanted to stop I could be close to home, or just jump through vortexes until I got close. This time we were going to a specific destination near the edge of the world, and didn't have vortexes mapped though - so we did the other thing we normally do:

I got a 150 concussion instead of waiting for an hour which with alchemy and a shitQ cold compress I stole along the way will be completely healed in probably 3-4 hours.
Yes, it is a slight """punishment""" for griefing, but there are a lot of instances where it discourages actual PVP and more importantly creates a barrier to entry. I really think it is in everybody's interest for there to be a healthy PVP community, instead of a small group of people dominating the entire world with little to no effort. One of the things that needs to happen for that fairytale of a future to be possible is less barriers to entry for PVP. Having to wait 1 hour after every fight in a huge barrier for a casual player that doesn't know how to abuse every mechanic.

You should really be able to port with thingwalls while red handed. The current situation does nothing good for the game, just adds very situational tedium and a barrier to entry. That, or red hand should just be like 5 minutes long.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby boshaw » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:27 am

Clearly the solution is to make it so KO doesn't remove red handed anymore. Criminals should face death if caught outside and KO'd. :)
boshaw

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements