Game Development: Camping Shovel

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Camping Shovel

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:02 am

Potjeh wrote:Opening mine levels should be global, but rather than basing it on timer I think it should be a big project a faction can undertake.

"I want people who aren't me to have a giant, unfun, arbitrary task to do for no reason"

this is literally why the hermits deserve it
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Reiber » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:25 am

welp shieldnerf was around for sime minutes, thanks for reverting it
Reiber

Postby Szat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:25 am

Can't say I like the mining changes. While the time element of the pyre affects all players equally, gating bronze behind a mine hole means an immense grind or a looooong wait for anyone not wrangling bots or working in a good village.

I'd say there should either be a copper-only ore on level 1 and more distinction between iron and bronze, OR mine holes should be significantly cheaper, perhaps scaling up in expense for deeper levels.
Szat

Postby feadaron1 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:31 am

7 day of burn pyro jesus
thx Jorb not 7day*lvl
feadaron1

Postby TTastic » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 am

Requiring the pyre for mineholes is more of a hindrance to all players than any kind of benefit it gives to slowing progression. Seven days is an UNGODLY amount of time for a structure that can be easily bashed and reset. I could see it scaling up to that type of time the deeper you go, but with what seems like no copper on L1 this world, it's painful and not even in the fun Haven pain kind of way we all know and love. Having a lower timer for upper layers seems like it would make more sense and having it scale up as you go deeper possibly? Anything shorter than how it is now.

Love the tents and other new additions! Keep the new content flowing!
TTastic

Postby Vydrion » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:53 am

Still unsure what the tents are used for, but guess I'll have to figure that one out :D

As for the mine pyre's, if anything they should be unbashable.
It feels a bit unrealistic to have a raging fire capable of weakening the underlying foundation smacked down by an axe.

In terms of the time-gating, I am also in favour of time-gating each level and reducing the time on mine pyre's to 1-2 days MAX, as a way to reduce early game progression but without severely crippling latecomers.

Keep up the good work!
Vydrion

Postby Vesena » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:30 am

Vesena

Postby Vigilance » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:21 am

Szat wrote:mine holes should be significantly cheaper, perhaps scaling up in expense for deeper levels.

This is the best perspective you can apply to this. If you want to gate a lot of the mandatory progression of the game, 10 hardened leather (still the cost of the l0->l1) is kind of miserable for any individual hermit to scramble together within 7 days, and for anything but bot-wrangling factions or absolute psychopaths, still too expensive for some groups to justify building multiple mineholes on "prospecting" pyres.

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Opening mine levels should be global, but rather than basing it on timer I think it should be a big project a faction can undertake.

"I want people who aren't me to have a giant, unfun, arbitrary task to do for no reason"

this is literally why the hermits deserve it

agree with this. timer or bust.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby GamingRAM » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:44 pm

I'd like to formally request a pink dev cape for discovering the existance of Sunstone and unintentionally bringing the, at the time, unknown bug to the dev's attention, consequently resulting in it being deleted and removed from Layer 1.

World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby cb111 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:09 pm

VDZ wrote:
Mineholes have always been a massive pain to make and I'm sad they're now required to get any hard metal

Wait so no chalc on L0? No wonder I've only been able to find tin and lead. Thought I was just unlucky.
cb111

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements