Game Development: Pickling Brine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pickling Brine

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 27, 2024 2:16 pm

ok:
eat fish
study your villagers curiosities
eat your villagers smoked sosigs
stop playing

(in between do whatever is necessary to progress)
terechgracz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon May 27, 2024 2:42 pm

being ironic doesn't make it less obvious you don't know
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 27, 2024 2:44 pm

i just wrote what im doing each world, im open for suggestions to improve my play
terechgracz

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon May 27, 2024 4:03 pm

Antvgr wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:IMO, the bloat and obtuseness of the game has a worse impact than bots. If you surveyed 10+ year old accounts about how to do grind industry/characters nearly none of them would even know where to start.

It's what you call "bloat" is what makes the game so great. It's extremely wide, it has tons of things to do, and you don't have any straight way illuminated for you. I have been playing for 5 months and only now starting to feel that i have some solid understanding of the game, and yet find new things every few days. I have not even touched alchemy! It's the beauty. Who needs another survival pvp sim with straight progression? Tons of them out there.

I agree wholeheartedly.
It's not surprising that the two people arguing otherwise are the shortsighted folk who view the gameplay as a distraction and chore from their preferred play style of killing newbs.

Although they are right about shit needing to be changed to nerf botted food production, if the game was lobotomized in the ways they want, there would be no one left for them to attack.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby vatas » Mon May 27, 2024 4:57 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Some worlds are completely ruined just because the good foods are the least fun to make.

Maybe this isn't the principle you're referring to, maybe I was suffering from a skill issue, but back in w14 I decided to make best Liver&Onions (for a certain parameter I don't remember exactly, and isn't really relevant) which required mixing a yellow onion and a red onion. Any way you slice it (pun kind of intended) you need to click a LOT manually so that the crafting window keeps selecting mixed onions, for mass crafting.

This is one of the handful reasons I really wish there was some kind of "precision crafting mode."

Current "toilet in a train(1)" should be kept as default for all the basic crafting, but there should a toggle to:
(preferrably) Select specifically of what variable ingredients will be used in the crafting recipe. If the recipe can't be executed with exact materials, character won't perform the craft.
(alternatively) At least have an extended version of the crafting menu to clearly show what kind of ingredients have been selected.

(1) "Works like a toilet in a train" is a Finnish phrase for something being brutally simple, yet at least somewhat effective at its core function. This comes from the time when said toilets were simply a hole that dumped the excrement into the tracks (allegedly.)

Disclaimer: this post is not intended as a defence for the fact that there are Billion food recipe combinations. For that specifically, this post would be a band-aid fix at best if implemented. In more general terms, this would result in a core QoL improvement.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby DonVelD » Mon May 27, 2024 5:16 pm

vatas wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Some worlds are completely ruined just because the good foods are the least fun to make.

Maybe this isn't the principle you're referring to, maybe I was suffering from a skill issue, but back in w14 I decided to make best Liver&Onions (for a certain parameter I don't remember exactly, and isn't really relevant) which required mixing a yellow onion and a red onion. Any way you slice it (pun kind of intended) you need to click a LOT manually so that the crafting window keeps selecting mixed onions, for mass crafting.

This is one of the handful reasons I really wish there was some kind of "precision crafting mode."

Current "toilet in a train(1)" should be kept as default for all the basic crafting, but there should a toggle to:
(preferrably) Select specifically of what variable ingredients will be used in the crafting recipe. If the recipe can't be executed with exact materials, character won't perform the craft.
(alternatively) At least have an extended version of the crafting menu to clearly show what kind of ingredients have been selected.

(1) "Works like a toilet in a train" is a Finnish phrase for something being brutally simple, yet at least somewhat effective at its core function. This comes from the time when said toilets were simply a hole that dumped the excrement into the tracks (allegedly.)

Disclaimer: this post is not intended as a defence for the fact that there are Billion food recipe combinations. For that specifically, this post would be a band-aid fix at best if implemented. In more general terms, this would result in a core QoL improvement.

that's like most of good w14 foods

i made a script for my friend with a fucked up nerve in his hand (if you're reading this fuck you you jewish toad :) ) so it sets up ingredients in a specific way for cooking optimal food (x mushroom, and then oyster mushroom)

he wouldnt be able to do it otherwise, unless he'd be in a mood for some pain that day lol
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Oddity » Mon May 27, 2024 6:00 pm

popfor wrote:Jorb has had lofty ideals about an unregulated sandbox game giving rise to self-regulating justice and something approximating civility.
u know this is how things functionally worked, w3-6, there were plenty of vigilantes that u could pay to avenge you, and noobs would actually have fun playing the game in loose communities of 10-20 people, sure, someone could wrecking ball ur camp if u didn't use ur actual eyes to survey your claim, but honestly thats on you, we could pay a few pearls and pies and have some jackass with a q350 sling and 300 mm go and wall snipe the guy that set me back a month. i think the downward trend from this came from the custom client scene, which rendered the game more of a program than an actual game, people really play off their minimaps now instead of in the dark wielding a torch

my first mining endeavor required me to build a line of fires to illuminate my cave, hell yeah?

its been over 13 years since i first played and this game really is a "bro im harder than u u wanna touch tips my bots run 24/7 and play the game for me, but only i can have it bc im better than u" game instead of a whimsical "oh man i spawned and its dark i hope i can forage blueberries tomorrow so i can study this 200lp mantle, for now i just have this basket and lean-to", - that entire part of the game has been removed in favor of the whole 15 vocal people bitching about late game content.
self regulation comes with equalization and immersion

if you recall, new hearthlings originally spawned with a torch and bread
wonder why :roll:

tl;dr custom clients and nerfs to seige, as well as various reworks to only appease lategame nolifers, ruined the beauty of the game
if we all played on a client with no nightvision or bots it would be 1000x more involving and interesting

yeah, we need to return simplicity :( legacy was so much cooler
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby grumgrumganoe » Mon May 27, 2024 7:01 pm

anyone who thinks all the curio/alchemy/food bloat is good is a fucking moron who hasn't experienced it. How many of these billion outcomes (or even hundreds of recipes) have you dumbfux actually crafted?

It only makes the game more difficult to play and balance. Enjoy your 999,999,990 noob traps though, I just bot that shit :lol:
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
grumgrumganoe

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 27, 2024 7:19 pm

"an idiot admires complexity, a genius admires simplicity, a physicist tries to make it simple. for an idiot, anything the more complicated it is the more he will admire it. if you make something so clusterfucked he can't understand it he's gonna think you're a god cause you made it so complicated nobody can understand it."~words of a wise man

but im just a retard and want to play a game so above truth doesn't necessarials says anything about my intelligence
terechgracz

Postby sMartins » Mon May 27, 2024 7:21 pm

Why don't we try a vanilla world for once, no customs clients, no bots, no crap, all the recipes shuffled and features that are not possible now, like darkness and so on.
I am sure you will like it.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements