Game Development: Pushing Arrangements

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pushing Arrangements

Postby Granger » Sat May 13, 2017 8:15 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:thats not the downside though ive almost never gone into fights to only loot people, MOST PEOPLE fight because its fun

In case of 'fighting is fun', where is the problem with your opponent escaping to be available as a target at a later time?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 am

Granger wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:thats not the downside though ive almost never gone into fights to only loot people, MOST PEOPLE fight because its fun

In case of 'fighting is fun', where is the problem with your opponent escaping to be available as a target at a later time?

well the thing is even if i run into them 100x alone and they have 100x less stats than me they get away EVERY SINGLE TIME these speed buffs are no good IMO

there needs to be a way to create distance between yourself and the person chasing you easily and it shouldnt be something thats based off RNG and this distance shouldnt GUARANTEE escape

the one thing i loved about legacy was the running, unless people were cutting you off from multiple angles you could just run all the way to the safety of your village (unless u mess up a lot)
ChildhoodObesity

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 am

tbh almost everyone i talk to about combat agrees with me on this but the combat was great regardless of the dumb ip stacking on friends (which obviously needed a fix but i dont think that was the best way)

the only things id keep from the current combat updates are:
Parry now gives Dizzy (blue) opening instead of Cornered (red)
ALL the random move buffs i think every skill/manuever is fine atm except for artful
Aggro range is now 17.5 tiles, rather than 12.5, seems good
DECK SWITCHING
DRINKING WHILE RUNNING (BEST THING THEYVE DONE FOR COMBAT)
the trip roots were cool and thats about it from the environment boosts
You now move faster while moving downhill, and slower while moving uphill. DOESNT SEEM BAD EITHER

the IP changes ive never liked and makes it near impossible to build a good amount of ip for anything decks requiring little ip are being used which makes a lot of the best moves useless. combat med is now impossible to use due to the high ip requirements. death or glory sucks for building ip because by the time you have enough ip to use half the moves some guy could just kill you with uppercuts and shit

im assuming the ip changes were put there because they thought skills like zig dash and artful giving ip was a huge thing but its not really

also uppercuts been extremely op because punch/flex is so easy to spam and there isnt a good way to defend blue/green at the same time anymore with artful nerfs

ive been wanting to make some yuge post about this with videos demonstrating how bad some of this shit is but been a bit busy xd
ChildhoodObesity

Postby FictionRyu » Sat May 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Push-out doesn't work when pushing a wheelbarrow.

Edit:

Further issues:

The push-out doesn't work period when it comes to the wheelbarrow. It won't move around it at all.
Not sure if it does it with a cart, haven't done anything with that yet.
Last edited by FictionRyu on Sat May 13, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooby Doo taught us that the real monsters are humans.
FictionRyu

Postby Aceb » Sat May 13, 2017 11:21 pm

I confirm it at some point.

It also allows You to get stuck between stockpiles without an option to get out unless You wanna take & drop everything around You or port back to hearthfire, which is highly annoying.

Two examples:
Twice I got stuck between several stacks of mulberry leaves and coudn't escape it without porting back to fire.
Once I got stuck between wooden logs not really arranged close to each other.

In both cases, my character got inside without a big problem thanks to push-out mechanic.
In both cases I couldn't escape this trap same way. I was just stuck like between sheeeeps.

Since the update, it also happens to get stuck in wooden log You just dropped, but it is always escapeable.

@edit
Got stucked between 4 mulberry trees that are placed close to each other on 4 tiles. It seems that character speed plays high role in this...?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Tammer » Sun May 14, 2017 2:50 am

I would appreciate if pushout could be used to make Great Hall doors work properly.

Nice update, thanks!
Tammer

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 14, 2017 3:00 am

loftar wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Martins is right, though. Some games move you along the vectors* at a higher speed than at the "fixed movement speed" of walking in a cardinal direction. It was very apparent in early FPS games with WASD movement. I still run into games where it shows up made in the last 10 years or so.

Not sure what you're referring to, but the phenomenon that makes me think of is likely that walking straight forward and strafing at the same time adds two speeds together in some games, rather than having with cardinal directions to do. I have indeed noticed that the fastest mode of locomotion in some games is walking at a 45° angle while walking and strafing at the same time, which is a bit stupid.

I have ran into some instances of a "wall riding" effect--moving along a wall is in fact faster because the vector math was done incorrectly. At best, movement into a solid wall should be a vector subtraction, at worst, it should be normalized. Instead, some portion gets added thus increasing speed. I'll note it has been intentional in some cases, but not all that I have seen.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 14, 2017 3:02 am

For those complaining about combat, I will again remind you that in a triangle, side A + side B > side C. A person that effectively navigates an obstacle course will be faster than those that run into objects.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Longshanks87 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:28 am

Sorry for the late reply Loftar.
i think it was just my overheated slow laptop being framey...
it has not happened since cooling down
^^
great update
Shanked..
Longshanks87

Postby Riou1231 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:21 am

So has anyone found a stag beetle yet? Supposedly you find it in the forest, but I've been all around and I haven't found one yet. Do they spawn in a specific forest biome?
I like apple juice.
Riou1231

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements