Game Development: Season's Greetings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Season's Greetings

Postby shubla » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 pm

I think that it's pretty obvious that there is no pattern on world ages. So analyzing duration of the old worlds is waste of time.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby The_Blode » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:40 am

shubla wrote:I think that it's pretty obvious that there is no pattern on world ages. So analyzing duration of the old worlds is waste of time.

This is literally the most sensible, agreeable, least confrontational thing I've ever seen you post. And yeah, trying to "piece together" some kind of world reset schedule is just grasping at straws
The_Blode

Postby TheOriginalFive » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 am

Besides, Jorb and Loftar will now give advance notice for a reset.
TheOriginalFive

Postby Prowny » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:52 am

I have to say the falling leaves animation is pretty dandy :D
loftar wrote:The tears in this thread are so delicious
Prowny

Postby delsus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:10 am

I can't wait for the first post-seasons patch ! :)
delsus

Postby Granger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 am

I would like to congratulate on implementing this long standing suggestion, the 10 years of waiting have been worth it. Looks very nice.

No sarcasm was used in creation of this post.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Prowny wrote:I have to say the falling leaves animation is pretty dandy :D

Glad you like it!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby mvgulik » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:40 am

shubla wrote:I think that it's pretty obvious that there is no pattern on world ages. So analyzing duration of the old worlds is waste of time.

Wow, that's deep. One could almost drown in it ... almost.

And how does one know there is no pattern to be found in a particular data set. By ... not analysing/(looking at) it ?

It would have made sense if "was"" was used instead of "Is", but that would turn it into an open-door statement, instead of the intended claim of knowledge/authority.
mvgulik

Postby Granger » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am

mvgulik wrote:And how does one know there is no pattern to be found in a particular data set. By ... not analysing/(looking at) it ?

In this particular case it can be determined by inspecting the function that is generating the data set.

It would have made sense if "was"" was used instead of "Is", but that would turn it into an open-door statement, instead of the intended claim of knowledge/authority.

Using 'was' would imply that there now 'is' or at least 'could be', this would imply that the random generator had been replaced or broken. For the 'is' case a relevant time ago so the replaced/broken function had enough time to emit enough values (to determine existence of a pattern).

While parts of the entropy sources of this particular random function got less …reliable... with time (eg. no longer running the server on a single drive used consumer hardware, without an UPS, out of a students dorm room that is prone to power failures) the main entropy sources (the two developers) havn't been changed and are alive and kicking.

So I have to agree with shubla that, for all intends and purposes, there is no pattern in this particular data set. At least unless one argues that the universe is fully deterministic, which would be deep as the consequence of that would make further arguments pointless since we all would just passively experience the equivalent of a full immersion movie.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby mvgulik » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:57 am

Granger wrote:...

I was more interested in the shubla pattern.
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements