Game Development: Paving the Way

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Paving the Way

Postby g1real » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:06 pm

Potjeh wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Lets turn the debate towards your comment then:

Any thoughts on how to make crafting infinite sink without one time buy ins? My worry is that if everything needs an infinite sink, mid world deaths effectively cripple you until the next world. Alternatively you could make any benefits after X LP be incredibly minor and optional boosts, but that's not how it's set up at the moment if the flavour text is true.

XP cost per crafting on high-end items.

AW YES WE ARCHEAGE NOW*

* Well, somewhat.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:48 pm

AA isn't the first game I've seen use this.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wolf1000wolf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:01 pm

I love these updates... I just wish xsolla would hurry up. I have less than 7 hours left... :(
wolf1000wolf

Postby jorb » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:06 pm

El-wook wrote:I asked if a combat alt is the way to go in this game, which as a developer I assumed you'd have an answer for. If it's designed so that I can't be a metal worker and be able to defend myself against agressors at the same time then it would mean that combat alt are the way to go, even more since I could easily lose all the time investment into a metal worker while on a simple hunting trip.

For me alts break the immersion and I'm against making an alt but if I have to pump 10 days worth of LP ( as someone made a calculation ) and someone else will pump their combat skills in the same time and decide to raid my village then what can I really do against that? Plead for mercy?

I have a feeling the playstyles aren't cost wise balanced is all I was implying.

Depends on what you mean by "able to defend myself". If *I* wanted to make a "combat character" then I wouldn't put *anything* into other nonsense. Why, really? It's just increased character risk for no gain toward the end goal of being effective in combat. Dedication and specialization by necessity involves focus to the point of exclusion of other activities -- if that is indeed how total you want your ambition to be in the matter -- much as in real life. That being said the system has been designed to allow, hopefully, for a meaningful presence of player skill affecting the outcome of combat, and it has been our ambition that pretty much any player wielding a weapon should at least have to be accorded some amount of respect. Even the highest end player should be taking good chunks of damage if he doesn't maintain his blocks properly, for example, and there is also a limit to how much better character skills will relatively make you.

(And right now any idiot with a bow can probably one-or-two-shot pretty much anyone, but that is also not entirely as it should be.)

It is the intention that there should be character investment. It is the intention that combat skills should be a thing of their own, rather than a function of your abilities as a smith or farmer.

I also do not see it as obvious that the dark skills should be the most highly costed ones. In the past it has certainly from time to time been a problem that people have been unreasonably prevented from defending themselves due to being unable to attack other players for a lack of silly skills. The spectacle of nubs getting raided in the early days of a new world -- other nubs walking up to them and crudely taking their shit -- is a good example of that. This is an example of the fact that actions in the game cannot be neatly defined along the spectrum of aggressive (bad) to peacful(good). A lot of seemingly peaceful actions can be used for very untoward purposes.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Phizuol » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:22 pm

jorb wrote:(And right now any idiot with a bow can probably one-or-two-shot pretty much anyone, but that is also not entirely as it should be.)

Is it possible to get archery to work with the melee system this time? The card thing is interesting.
Phizuol

Postby jorb » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Phizuol wrote:Is it possible to get archery to work with the melee system this time? The card thing is interesting.

We tried it and it sucked donkey balls. Two completely different game modes that have no obvious lines of interaction, and insisting that they should be using the same system was just a bad idea.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby NaoWhut » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:39 pm

You can defend yourself in more ways
than just fighting someone. People are
not NPC's, they don't have a set AI you
have to beat... there's many ways to
keep yourself safe from others
ImageImage
NaoWhut

Postby Phizuol » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:45 pm

That's too bad. At the very least I'd rather deal with trying to shoot through defense cards than impenetrable armor. I'm enjoying the archery system a lot more than before, but I don't want it to be OP (or get nerfed.)
Phizuol

Postby Ronin30 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:47 pm

archery works in a duel, stop being bad. (put shoot on slot 6)

saying archery damage is op is funny considering shitty quality swords can 2 shot someone in full leather armor atm
Ronin30

Postby Potjeh » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:53 pm

g1real wrote:AW YES WE ARCHEAGE NOW*

* Well, somewhat.

D&D did it before it was cool.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements