Game Development: Beavertopia

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Beavertopia

Postby Sevenless » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:01 am

magisticus wrote:ps. the answers on that link are a little retarded. Objects in water will displace a mass of water equal to their own weight (Archimedes), if their volume is not sufficient to do that then they sink. Swans and ducks in haven presumably have a higher weight to volume ratio than your average real world wildfowl. A real world swan might sink if you say put a massive stab wound in it so that it's internal cavities filled with water.

Ehn, realism can suck it so long as the mechanics are believable enough.

It does seem a little weird since other corpses (liftable animals) float. But mostly my argument would be that it's annoying. Annoying mechanics aren't really fun, even if they can be somewhat worked around.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Thedrah » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:31 am

could do some QoL stuff such as an old suggestion of use a beautiful dream on an unlit fire for a hearthfire
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby apoc254 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:07 am

how about after death KO we turn back into wisps for a duration that's elongated by however high our stats are?

example:

noob respawns in 5 mins with his all 10 stats.

player respawns in 5 days of with his all 100 stats

The duration should only count when we spend time logged in though.... and if we get killed while in wisp form.... we die forever! (that would at least give us a chance to make mistakes and still die forever.)

being a attack-less/unable to interact with objects wisp would be incentive to not want to be KO also.

that's just my two cents on the subject. take it or leave it.
apoc254

Postby Glorthan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:25 am

apoc254 wrote:The duration should only count when we spend time logged in though...

take it or leave it.

leaving it.
Glorthan

Postby Buttercup » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:34 am

I'd love to see tamable deer.

After a google search it seems deer milk is turning out to be a thing, lol.
Buttercup

Postby Jacobian123 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 am

tameable deer and goats when?
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby iamahh » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:50 pm

devs come play wilds.io and get some ideas for combat
iamahh

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:28 pm

iamahh wrote:devs come play wilds.io and get some ideas for combat

That game may be fun, but there's no way it's a remotely comparable gameplay system for combat. It's not suitable to a longterm development MMO, it's more similar to realm of the mad god.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby ArgentRhapsody » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:42 am

holy shit. Development is looking like it's going in a REALLY good direction here. I am 110% behind hearthing on knockout. It will go a long ways toward making the game more newbie-friendly and social, and less of a degenerate trollfest. I can get behind a full loot system too.

I'm thinking that perhaps to prevent instagibbing of newbies, you can have an invisible buff that makes it impossible to be reduced to less than 1% HHP so long as your hearth on knockout timer isn't on cooldown?

taming wolves into dogs and lynx into cats would also be a nice little addition, could make it so dogs can assist in hunting and prevent animals from running away and have cats able to give you some sort of buff in their presence, kind of like fire and smoke? Or they could have unique interactions that enhance new and old spells.
ArgentRhapsody

Postby Scilly_guy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:38 am

I am really enjoying Haven at the moment, I think you should continue developing for a few months and then tell us that there will be a new world on 1st of December and you won't be making any non-essential changes until then when you will be introducing seasons. I think there are plenty of small ideas and tweaks that you could do for the next few months that don't make any major difference but are nice.

One UI thing that would be nice is tool tips for buildings in the construction menu that tell us what materials we need, its a pain having to be able to place a building to find out you need so many ropes or some hard metal, and who wants to go and check the wiki.
Scilly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements