Game Development: Pushing Arrangements

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pushing Arrangements

Postby Granger » Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 am

NOOBY93 wrote:
Granger wrote:
Resture wrote:If it was on steam... I would actually play more haven.

Please share your reasoning behind this statement.

Someone HAS to give poor old Gaben some money, he's STARVING!

Sure.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:29 am

Oh, wow. You really changed my mind there. I thought Gaben was a poor, homeless guy who we needed to dump our wallets on, but NOW I'm aware that he's a greedy capitalist!

THANKS!
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Lalaxx » Sun May 21, 2017 12:23 pm

If it was on steam... I would actually play more haven.

Please share your reasoning behind this statement.

i guess just someone want to show their hours of playing this game.
Not just this
Image cuz it's private information.
And ofc this game will get a great audience because updates happen quite often and this game is very special in its genre, at least in steam not many of games this type of genre.
Lalaxx

Postby iamahh » Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Web Assembly has all major browsers on board, could be an interesting gaming environment in the future
iamahh

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 21, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm not a fan of any corporate monopolies, quasi or otherwise. Nor am I a fan of publishers in general, my taste of how paradox works (one of the better ones) was not a good one.

But we have to be realistic that haven needs marketing somehow, and a platform like steam (I say like, it does have some competitors these days) is realistically the only option for Jorbtar as far as I'm aware. Just assuming they're not bankrolling enough money to save up the tens of thousands of dollars a marketing blitz would require.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't matter either way this moment. The QoL and performance upgrades to the client are needed before that imo. Content wise haven has plenty compared to most of its survival MMO competitors anyway.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Sevenless wrote:I'm not a fan of any corporate monopolies, quasi or otherwise. Nor am I a fan of publishers in general, my taste of how paradox works (one of the better ones) was not a good one.

But we have to be realistic that haven needs marketing somehow, and a platform like steam (I say like, it does have some competitors these days) is realistically the only option for Jorbtar as far as I'm aware. Just assuming they're not bankrolling enough money to save up the tens of thousands of dollars a marketing blitz would require.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't matter either way this moment. The QoL and performance upgrades to the client are needed before that imo. Content wise haven has plenty compared to most of its survival MMO competitors anyway.

I feel like if haven is treated as a "survival MMO" game and advertised to such audience, it will be a massive fail. The game is horrible at being a "survival MMO".
NOOBY93

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 21, 2017 3:48 pm

So are the vast majority of Survival MMOs. The name is a complete sham imo.

Ark is marketed as a survival game for example. And like haven, the "survival" aspect lasts a week tops. After that it's QoL grind, pvp, and fucking around doing your own thing.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Sevenless wrote:So are the vast majority of Survival MMOs. The name is a complete sham imo.

Ark is marketed as a survival game for example. And like haven, the "survival" aspect lasts a week tops. After that it's QoL grind, pvp, and fucking around doing your own thing.

I feel like Haven is just one of those games where the core playerbase has the fun and actually enjoys the whole game while the new players are just cannon fodder for the whole situation.
NOOBY93

Postby iamahh » Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 pm

thank god for sweden bros, at least they make stuff different, yall america bros need to chill and enjoy because there's enough shit you like in the market, and that's a lot of shit ¦]
iamahh

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 21, 2017 5:07 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:
Sevenless wrote:So are the vast majority of Survival MMOs. The name is a complete sham imo.

I feel like Haven is just one of those games where the core playerbase has the fun and actually enjoys the whole game while the new players are just cannon fodder for the whole situation.

Before claim shields and realms, I'd agree. After claim shields/realms, new players that have managed to establish themselves are significantly more trouble to dislodge than they're worth. And extra Auth in the kingdom never hurts. Dis is stuck in the old mentality of kill em all from what I've seen, but I know the game supports more cooperative playstyle now. Imo, replacing permadeath with a more robust wounding system is the next key step to that. And certainly the first attempt, though it has some critical errors in implementation, is a good step.

But games like ark are exactly the same. Being the local king is good, being the scrub starting out leaves you powerless. The big difference is how many "kings" haven allows compared to ark and related sharded games. Haven does not have room for many on the top, because the world is interconnected and accessible travel wise.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements