Game Development: UI Scaling

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: UI Scaling

Postby abt79 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:23 pm

jorb wrote:Those are explicitly liberal/soc-dem n00spapers. There is no other kind here behind the IKEA curtain. :)

Yeah, "socdem". Behind that IKEA curtain I'm sure the Overton Window isn't skewed in any particular way at all.

Glad you enjoyed my very serious political jab, but was hoping the writer of Haven's generous and dense purple prose would have more to say about my wall of text. That's alright, the Will Consider is implied at this point.
abt79

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:56 pm

jorb wrote:Humble reminder that we are a joyous and merry band here, and that we do not entertain defeatist attitudes.

jorb wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:Most games have a means to combat these hacks.

They do not, no. They have sound and furor to give the illusion that they do.

OwO what's this?

To put it less poetically than you, I get that any anti cheat is more of a discouragement, less of a solution, but I notice far less issues with botters/hackers on say, games with Easy Anti Cheat (been playing Star Wars Squadrons and Halo MCC). Hell I got locked out of those games briefly because I had a few corrupt windows files. Meanwhile over here, I see people openly admitting to botting, you saying you want no botting in your game, and these players not getting banned or any action to counter botting itself. Does that seem like defeatism to you? Because I'm feeling thoroughly defeated.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Jalpha » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:00 pm

If teams of programmers cannot stop the bots in World of Warcraft or the hacks in RUST what hope is there for this humble team of two?
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:09 pm

I'd say the hope is in embracing it, or just not letting it run completely rampant. We may have only two devs but we have a low population and potential moderators.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Jalpha » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 pm

In the past the argument has always ended in "How much of the obviously limited development time should be dedicated to combating bots versus producing more content?"
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:24 pm

That's a good debate to have. Always a fan of this game getting more backend support/polish, like this update, I do think this is a positive change! I'd say enough time to make a basic report/ban system, and appoint mods to do the legworks from there. I do understand there will always be accusations of mod corruption and eventually system tweaks and bug fixes that will require dev attention, but I think it will go a long way to giving the game a more stable vision, and thus more enticing to new players.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Forik » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 pm

A couple of basic features that I'm missing from Amber in the default client:

1) The ability in ortho cam to be able to move the camera freely, and not have it be locked in the four cardinal directions, back in legacy we had more detailed camera options, and I don't see why adding some (although obviously not in the same way, the legacy camera was static) to the hafen client would take away from the artistic vision of the default client.

2) The capacity to toggle numerical views on several things (quality on items without mouseover, % on openings, etc). I know it might be ugly, from an artistic point of view.

I really do think a lot of the things that make alternative clients playable constitute quality of life changes like this as opposed to things that could be considered "cheating". (Such as turning off day/night, macros, bots, etc)

This is definitely not exhaustive, but these are the main things that keep me from playing on the default client, and stop me from playing when custom clients break.
Forik

Postby loftar » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:also consider that of the roughly 200 players who are logged in daily in the past weeks, only about 50 of those decided it's worth logging back in after the initial custom client breakage, and to be fair, some people actually still had the game working on custom clients even after the break if they avoided interacting with certain items.

That means that at a very minimum, 75% of the population said ... I can't use badcam? I can't hide flavour objects? or whatever their personal custom client poison might be ... well fuck it, the game is literally NOT WORTH PLAYNIG then

I'm curious where you''re getting those numbers from. From where I'm looking, I'm seeing very little population difference from before vs after the patch. Concurrent users seem to have dropped perhaps around 10%, and cumulative user numbers appear completely unaffected.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Forik wrote:quality on items without mouseover

Default client has had this feature for quite some time.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:05 am

Forik wrote:1) The ability in ortho cam to be able to move the camera freely, and not have it be locked in the four cardinal directions, back in legacy we had more detailed camera options, and I don't see why adding some (although obviously not in the same way, the legacy camera was static) to the hafen client would take away from the artistic vision of the default client.

Well, the basic reason is that structures that are oriented in the cardinal directions (for example, walls, certain terrain features, towns built with many orthographic and/or orthogonal features, &c.) tend to look kinda strange and weird when the cardinal X and Y axes are not isometric (in the strict sense of the term), due to some strange visual illusion. We actually (somewhat to our surprise) had this problem back when we first introduced the orthocam back in Salem, and many people thought we had accidentally added inverse perspective. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to adding an alternative camera that unlocks it, I've even considered letting it inherit þe olde :cam free name. That also being said, I have the feeling that, prior to adding some sense of camera direction with relation to the minimap, it would just end up being even more confusing for people who are already complaining about that aspect, so I feel that there is such an order to those operations.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements