Game Development: Milling Water

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Milling Water

Postby The_Lich_King » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:16 am

Harunobu wrote: 70 miles of actual mouth breathing

bro are you okay?
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Harunobu » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:35 am

The_Lich_King wrote:
Harunobu wrote: 70 miles of actual mouth breathing

bro are you okay?

Are you banned yet, utter trashbin!
Harunobu

Postby Harunobu » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:36 am

NecklessVirgin wrote:Sounds like a lot of hot air. Please Cool Off and then come back to the forum once you’re learned some manners.

Get banned already, you retard bully!
Harunobu

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:44 am

Harunobu wrote:-snip-

And you lump everyone who disagrees with you into a camp. Where did I say any of that shit to you, spare me your rambling. My group ignored the obviously bugged water and is unscathed thank you very much, other than from the new Spring Water imbalance that the devs you're just starting to realize are retarded added.

I don't respect anyone who quits a game at their first game over. Doubly so when they admit to themselves they don't understand the game yet. Most people say that say they lost months of progress literally just died to drowning or a flex/cleave. Or had their base breached because they didn't lock their gates or secure their mines. Either way, they still have their infrastructure to rebuild, but they choose to just give up and decide pvp is some kind of social issue. A proper scorched earth is time consuming and boring as all hell, they happen, but not to half the people that whine.

Just because I engage with the pvp mechanics people act like I've never hermited, or had an idiot friend leave the unsecured cave open.

Dark Souls is not for everyone, Factorio is not for everyone, Animal Crossing is not for everyone, Haven and Hearth is for the mentally ill like u n' me babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 am

Also that meme is fuckign funny. I stole it from the hnh discord. you can't make me leave my house tho that would be too healthy
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Harunobu » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:59 am

Apocoreo wrote:
Harunobu wrote:-snip-

And you lump everyone who disagrees with you into a camp. Where did I say any of that shit to you, spare me your rambling. My group ignored the obviously bugged water and is unscathed thank you very much, other than from the new Spring Water imbalance that the devs you're just starting to realize are retarded added.

I don't respect anyone who quits a game at their first game over. Doubly so when they admit to themselves they don't understand the game yet. Most people say that say they lost months of progress literally just died to drowning or a flex/cleave. Or had their base breached because they didn't lock their gates or secure their mines. Either way, they still have their infrastructure to rebuild, but they choose to just give up and decide pvp is some kind of social issue. A proper scorched earth is time consuming and boring as all hell, they happen, but not to half the people that whine.

Just because I engage with the pvp mechanics people act like I've never hermited, or had an idiot friend leave the unsecured cave open.

Who you respect or not is completely immaterial to good game design. What matters to a good game also includes new player retention.
This is a good example:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=75522

Of course new players can't compete with factions of veteran players. That's the point. How can they play at their level without having to butt heads with top tier pvp players? How do spucecaps pvp vs other sprucecaps? What has a random sprucecap to offer in terms of pvp to a bigger faction?
What is for example this guy's progression into say pvp play?
Now it seems this guy did not quit. But many in similar situations will. We literally had this problem since Ultima Online in 1998, with a bazillion different types of solutions being proposed. There's solutions to this that go beyond removing PvP and go beyond just saying new players should suck it up.
The fact is, this game has a huge PvP problem, irregardless of new players. And any attempt to talk about it will result in some veteran players, like you, freaking out.
And if you like PvP so much, why do you want all losers to try to avoid PvP at all cost as much as possible? And all winners to sit risk-free on the top of their mountain, without any content?

ark Souls is not for everyone, Factorio is not for everyone, Animal Crossing is not for everyone, Haven and Hearth is for the mentally ill like u n' me babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Mabybe HnH is not for you then.
Harunobu

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:15 am

Harunobu wrote:Of course new players can't compete with factions of veteran players. That's the point. How can they play at their level without having to butt heads with top tier pvp players? How do spucecaps pvp vs other sprucecaps? What has a random sprucecap to offer in terms of pvp to a bigger faction?

I pvp'd other sprucecaps. Figure it out. As for the rest, same way the other sprucecaps became "veterans"

Harunobu wrote:The fact is, this game has a huge PvP problem, irregardless of new players.

ye

Harunobu wrote:And any attempt to talk about it will result in some veteran players, like you, freaking out.

plz quote my freakout

Harunobu wrote:And if you like PvP so much, why do you want all losers to try to avoid PvP at all cost as much as possible? And all winners to sit risk-free on the top of their mountain, without any content?

whales and trolls are fun
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby veme » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:43 am

Apocoreo wrote:I don't respect anyone who quits a game at their first game over

The problem with this is that most of the games out there has gameplay span like 30 minutes, so if you don't learn mechanics, you will lost max few minutes of life. Examples - Overwatch, Fortnite, Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Rocket League and many others. All are PvP and in all if you defeat, then you lost 10-30 min. In Haven, this span is extended to months. Losing 30 minutes vs. loosing 3 months are different.

Apocoreo wrote:Either way, they still have their infrastructure to rebuild, but they choose to just give up

If you told me to rebuild my current village that is 3x3 tiles in size, then yea, I'd just give up for this world.

Apocoreo wrote:Dark Souls is not for everyone, Factorio is not for everyone, Animal Crossing is not for everyone, Haven and Hearth is for the mentally ill

Yea, games genres are not for everyone, just
- Dark Souls design is oriented to be hard and constant deaths
- Factorio is complex, but it has singleplayer mode, so you don't worry about losing your whole factory after 300h of playing from a random guy
- Haven is complex, but it also has PvP factor, which destroys the game for casual and new players - it's not the issue with pvp per se, but rather the combining PvP with possibility for casual play. You either do hardcore PvP game that is oriented to permadeath, or you do complex casual game. If you combine them, then you have to adjust PvP so noone is harmed, cause otherwise you are gonna to lose some players, and that's the issue with Haven. You either have pvp-pro players or casual and newbies that are constantly feared or quit the game after first fail.
veme

Postby nevera » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:02 am

veme wrote:The problem with this is that most of the games out there has gameplay span like 30 minutes, so if you don't learn mechanics, you will lost max few minutes of life. Examples - Overwatch, Fortnite, Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Rocket League and many others. All are PvP and in all if you defeat, then you lost 10-30 min. In Haven, this span is extended to months. Losing 30 minutes vs. loosing 3 months are different.

The work you lose from being KO'd and robbed does not equate to the full amount of time you stuck into this world

veme wrote:If you told me to rebuild my current village that is 3x3 tiles in size, then yea, I'd just give up for this world.

If you are aware of key mechanics (which you are) you would know that you don't have to rebuild a single tile of your village if you get attacked.

The game is meant to be brutal and unforgiving. Yet it is much more accessible than it has ever been (with the current death and siege mechanics).
I reckon most hermits enjoy the risk of being outside their walls and for me its a huge selling point when running into new people.
nevera

Postby DonVelD » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:20 pm

nevera wrote:
veme wrote:The problem with this is that most of the games out there has gameplay span like 30 minutes, so if you don't learn mechanics, you will lost max few minutes of life. Examples - Overwatch, Fortnite, Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Rocket League and many others. All are PvP and in all if you defeat, then you lost 10-30 min. In Haven, this span is extended to months. Losing 30 minutes vs. loosing 3 months are different.

The work you lose from being KO'd and robbed does not equate to the full amount of time you stuck into this world

veme wrote:If you told me to rebuild my current village that is 3x3 tiles in size, then yea, I'd just give up for this world.

If you are aware of key mechanics (which you are) you would know that you don't have to rebuild a single tile of your village if you get attacked.

The game is meant to be brutal and unforgiving. Yet it is much more accessible than it has ever been (with the current death and siege mechanics).
I reckon most hermits enjoy the risk of being outside their walls and for me its a huge selling point when running into new people.

"w-what do you mean i dont have to rebuild my base every time i get KOd??"
~a guy with a masterkey and nonvisitors, probably
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements