Game Development: A Sound Badgering

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: A Sound Badgering

Postby pedorlee » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 pm

jajajajajajja

Amazing devs!!!

You Rock dudes!!!
pedorlee

Postby sieffre » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 pm

i'm liking the new changes to the store. will be buyin a subscription when i get paid at the end of the week!! :D

by the way you said the badgers were "slightly" aggressive, what does this mean exactly? got attacked by one this mornin..
Did that coffin just breathe?
sieffre

Postby jorb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:43 pm

sieffre wrote:by the way you said the badgers were "slightly" aggressive, what does this mean exactly?

Less likely to aggro than boars are. But if they attack, well... they do attack.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Redempter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 pm

jorb wrote:
sieffre wrote:by the way you said the badgers were "slightly" aggressive, what does this mean exactly?

Less likely to aggro than boars are. But if they attack, well... they do attack.

And they are hella fast, I couldn't outrun one while sprinting. Serves me right for not looking at my screen while moving around.
Redempter

Postby Altich » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:58 pm

2 points.

1: You'd have to get to the person wanting the token and without crossroads that could literally take you days or over a week to get to them and that leads to...

2: Tokens are lootable, are you really willing to travel for days with something you spent $15.00 when you could die to a bear losing it, or die to a person who loots it off of you?

You suggest that their usage is mostly to gift them to village fellows? Well, I have a far better solution for this: a) make tokens non lootable b) allow a token to be gifted to another player's HEARTH FIRE only ONCE. (After this, the person can only use it for himself). Again, there will still be trades, but they will be more inconvenient, and making the tokens a currency will be fully prevented.

In my opinion though, tokens should be completely removed from the game. Tokens will eventually become a currency for very rich (ingame) people, and will help people who pay to grow stronger.

As for gifting them to fellow villagers, I doubt there will be may people who will gift 15$ to an unknown guy they met in the game. If he is a friend irl, then he should just be able to gift the time directly to his account.
Altich

Postby Denkar » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:16 pm

Shardok wrote:Does a Verified account get 14 hrs/wk or 14 hrs/wk + 7 hrs/wk (from free account)

Those numbers are still a tad lower than I'd like, but bearable. Rather see around 10-15 and 30-40 for the two.

2 hrs a day isn't a lot to give someone that has paid.

Nobody would bother subscribing if it was 40h/week for $15. Maybe if they lowered the price of subscriptions, or raised the price of verification.
Denkar

Postby ApocalypsePlease » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Altich wrote:You suggest that their usage is mostly to gift them to village fellows? Well, I have a far better solution for this: a) make tokens non lootable b) allow a token to be gifted to another player's HEARTH FIRE only ONCE. (After this, the person can only use it for himself). Again, there will still be trades, but they will be more inconvenient, and making the tokens a currency will be fully prevented.

I disagree with your suggestions, and here is my reasoning.

The purpose tokens have is allowing the transfer of IRL money into the game through legitimate means. If you have an issue with this point you must realize that real life transactions for digital goods will happen with or without tokens, and you must accept this fact. It also provides the benefit that someone can effectively pay money for someone else's subscription time, which aids both those who can provide and those in need.

It also creates another baseline for tradable goods: things can be measured by how much people value a token, and it cannot be botted (i.e. gained for free by individuals in certain positions). Anyone can get access to tokens, but not everyone can bot for an LC of pearls for example.

Tokens will eventually become a currency for very rich (ingame) people, and will help people who pay to grow stronger.

I hope you realize that these things balance eachother. The higher end players must provide some of their resources to others in exchange, which in turn helps anyone else out who is willing to commit to spending more on this game. Again I am not saying I am supporting P2W, but I am simply acknowledging that it would exist anyways through illegitimate means.

If you want to see a very similar system: look at Bonds in Runescape. They work very similarly in that you can pay IRL time for an ingame item that can be traded* or used to give someone 14days of membership. We cannot have non-tradable ones due to how people can steal from eachother, this is the only part in which Haven falls short.

*They come in tradable and non-tradable forms, requiring gp to convert a non-tradable into a tradable, and this only allows them to be traded once before becoming non-tradable again
Inactive
ApocalypsePlease

Postby donatas » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Does anyone how long does I take for PayPal to transfer from dollars to pounds. Since its already been half a day and still nothing.
donatas

Postby Altich » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:14 pm

The purpose tokens have is allowing the transfer of IRL money into the game through legitimate means. If you have an issue with this point you must realize that real life transactions for digital goods will happen with or without tokens, and you must accept this fact.

I guess you understand that, by definition, that means pay to win. That doesn't automatically make the game bad, it's just that I, personally, don't want a pay to win feature like this. And about your second sentence, be a bit realistic. How many people you believe have made purchases of goods from another player with real life money (before the tokens)? I think they are an insignificant amount (if there is anyone at all).

I hope you realize that these things balance eachother. The higher end players must provide some of their resources to others in exchange, which in turn helps anyone else out who is willing to commit to spending more on this game. Again I am not saying I am supporting P2W, but I am simply acknowledging that it would exist anyways through illegitimate means.

I believe high end players will mostly trade their tokens for goods to become more powerful. Not the opposite. That's part of how they remain powerful.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. It's just that, before the release, the community was generally agreeing that haven shouldn't become pay to win.

We cannot have non-tradable ones due to how people can steal from eachother, this is the only part in which Haven falls short.

tokens can be non-tradeable (after being gifted) at the same manner as hats and stuff from the shop are non-tradeable. Although that would solve some problems, in my opinion tokens must be completely removed.
Altich

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:18 pm

donatas wrote:Does anyone how long does I take for PayPal to transfer from dollars to pounds. Since its already been half a day and still nothing.

Your account is properly verified and everything, but as Jorb said, the extra play-time from the purchase does not show up on the Account page until you log in on the account in-game, which you haven't done since the purchase.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements