Game Development: Bound in Checkers

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bound in Checkers

Postby Astarisk » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 pm

loftar wrote:
tyrtix wrote:I had many times my toon stuck in the corner of a tree while trying to get around it, and it happens more if you pull a cart tho. Maybe is not the corner, but i won't be sure about that and maybe round hitbox will remove the problem.

I'm pretty sure the reason your cart gets stuck is because of the front of the cart, not because of the shape of the tree. While I will perhaps not say it as certainly for players, I'm fairly sure the same is true there, but on that note, one of the things I plan to change once this system has been somewhat tested, is to effectively rotate the player's bounding box 45°, which should make it generally more conducive to not get stuck on stuff, trees or otherwise.

You should just look into cart behaviors in general. I've noticed they just stop following in certain scenarios without any clipping. One common one I've seen is when I run into a dirt path for example. Their speed also seems to be based on the tile you picked it up on too, though I'm not too sure how big an observation that one is. Some days I'd have a speedy cart and some days itd be slow.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Astarisk wrote:You should just look into cart behaviors in general. I've noticed they just stop following in certain scenarios without any clipping. One common one I've seen is when I run into a dirt path for example. Their speed also seems to be based on the tile you picked it up on too, though I'm not too sure how big an observation that one is. Some days I'd have a speedy cart and some days itd be slow.

I've never noticed any of those myself, actually. I've never had a cart stop following me unless it clips, and their speed has always updated properly for me. If what you say is true, it would be great if you could find a way to reproduce it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:33 pm

loftar wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:So since this patch players just need to imagine trees, animals, structures with proper hitboxes, and don't wait for devs to actually make them.

In this particular case, we wanted to test so that the implementation works properly before going fully into it. If there aren't any obvious bugs with it, I'd imagine we'll start changing more hitboxes soon.

well, it could be nice, but I imagine you guys will change a couple of objects no one cares about (like natural wonders and v-idol) and then just move on with new interesting mechanic and meanwhile ppl still will stun every 3 steps in woods because of huge square trees (some of them larger than 1x1 tile)... but who cares - there's no problems with trees, right?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Sollar » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:33 pm

shubla wrote:Devs suck what the heck why not add anything!!! i want my money back :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

They added lag ... Hold your money
Sollar

Postby tyrtix » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:34 pm

uhmm, while we are at it, why orcas just ko'ed me, then when i woke up they killed me and not even aggroed me? i wasn't even able to port away...
tyrtix

Postby Astarisk » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:34 pm

loftar wrote:
Astarisk wrote:You should just look into cart behaviors in general. I've noticed they just stop following in certain scenarios without any clipping. One common one I've seen is when I run into a dirt path for example. Their speed also seems to be based on the tile you picked it up on too, though I'm not too sure how big an observation that one is. Some days I'd have a speedy cart and some days itd be slow.

I've never noticed any of those myself, actually. I've never had a cart stop following me unless it clips, and their speed has always updated properly for me. If what you say is true, it would be great if you could find a way to reproduce it.

It could be the fact I was using it with a sled last, but it seemed fairly reproducible to me. I'd always have it drop in the same area and would frequently update its speed on tiles manually if it was slow. I can try to re-look into it.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:35 pm

loftar wrote:
shubla wrote:But how about trees? are they now circular?

No, trees are so small that I don't really think the exact shape of their bounding box matters at all.

It does, you often clip into them especially when pulling a cart.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Gogonez » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:36 pm

loftar wrote:
Gogonez wrote:Maybe "You need Realm Autohrity Object on screen, to set last minute diplomacy on him ?"

You think? That was the way we initially made that change last week, but it was thought to make Diplomacy effectively useless. You disagree?

I am not sure, but if Balders Bra buid cairn's with twink's, and def with twink's been near cairn's, so ok, but i think they use diplomacy been not near cairn's
Gogonez

Postby boshaw » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:36 pm

loftar wrote:
boshaw wrote:Any chance of the new hitboxes being advertised via the res file with some new layer

They already are.

Oh, is that what `obst` is or am i blind? Is that layer even documented in the default client yet?
boshaw

Postby Hollogodis » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Yea its cuz ur using the sled, the cart gets the slow sled speed on dirt then u speed off and lose it. But you can just wait for it lol
Hollogodis

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements