Game Development: Starboard Bough

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Starboard Bough

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:51 am

Pommfritz wrote:I think if you just don't harm people because you don't have the power to do so that's pretty fucked up and you are actually more hypocritical than anything else. If you are a "good person" this red hand change shouldn't affect your actions towards naps in the game at all.

I agree with this and for me personally I can say at this point I still wouldn't care to kill or raid nabs unless there's something that could possibly benefit me for doing it as I don't really get any enjoyment in dunking someone who can't really compete with me. I know there's a lot of people who if they saw a nab though and wouldn't be screwed for an hour would just try and kill them for the KEK of it.

Regarding the rest of your post considering you've been playing the last 3 months in an almost entirely dead world for PVPers it does make sense that you wouldn't be encountering any of this. In the first 4 months of a world before it gets stagnant you'll likely notice a lot more people PVPing or tracking you down for committing crimes.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:55 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:I spent world 6/7 killing noobs sometimes and most of W7 I was actually hunting down noob killers lol. Pretty much since then it's been pretty rare to kill random nabs and I just killed the odd one shit talking me or something.

Wow so ur progressed from being a nab slayer to a nab avenger moral highgrounding PVPer. IT WOULD'VE BEEN A SHAME if something AUTISTIC like having to wait 1 hour every time you connected a road on a claim stopped you from making this progression.

ChildhoodObesity wrote:I have definitely tracked down red handed people numerous times this world
---
There's a lot that should change regarding crime and red-handed sure. I think some crimes should have a smaller debuff than others perhaps, however, red-handed does a lot of good and has encouraged many fights

Give me three examples from this world. I actually don't think you can. I mean, I don't think you can give ONE but I'm being very conservative here

ChildhoodObesity wrote:you're just trying to put up some shitty arguments to make it easier for you to kill nabs 24/7 and ruin the game for people.

LOL nothing about red hand makes it hard for me to kill nabs ever and I DON'T BELIEVE you believe it does, either. It makes it kinda annoying sometimes, and its never stopped me. I don't feel like it stops anybody from our group at all tbh

ChildhoodObesity wrote:ALSO I think the majority of new players interacting with PVP for the first time aren't seeing red-handed as some tedious waste of time but a period of time where they're scared they're going to be punished for their crimes and they're not safe.

Never felt this way for me, even when I was new. Even if somebody did enjoy the, what, LARP of sitting there jerking off over pretending somebody is coming to punish them I'm pretty sure it'd get VERY OLD for a normal person well before they git gud

wonder-ass wrote:scents were exactly like troll eyes u can watch where they are and where they go limited by charges would make leaving scents spooky and give some more meaning to having high stealth int. Also would allow you to not waste time going after someone in a safe pali and instead track them when they are out boating or w/e.

This sounds RLY COOL to me but tbh I don't want to be spooked to enter caves because 5 guys are going to pour in and block the only exit, or swim across a river because full snekkjas are about to come off screen. Being able to see somebody EXACTLY is the kind of thing that will result in kills pretty frequently I feel unless you very consciously never put yourself in a situation where you can be blocked or drowned. Which I think I would, but it would be kinda tedious.

For the case of actual faction PVP and not ganks it would also make AVOIDING PVP very easy.

Maybe always show supergrid, and get troll eye ability only if on claim or something? idk
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:56 am

pawnchito wrote:If I had previously set it to stand in one spot I have to be KO'd to get the chance to change it to hearth me home next time right?

No, it always defaults back to hearthing home whenever you're knocked anew.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby pawnchito » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:02 am

Fantastic move bois. Awesome stuff these past few patches.
pawnchito

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:11 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Wow so ur progressed from being a nab slayer to a nab avenger moral highgrounding PVPer. IT WOULD'VE BEEN A SHAME if something AUTISTIC like having to wait 1 hour every time you connected a road on a claim stopped you from making this progression.

Well I think it's normal to want to kill nabs for enjoyment when you're also a nab. When you're one of the better PVPers in the world with the highest stats I think it's not as enjoyable unless you get off on ruining someones day. Also as I said earlier it's obviously not a perfect system and needs some work. Crimes like this specifically should have less of a redhanded period than murdering some for example.

Also I can think of two off the top of my head and I haven't even played in months. We tracked some koreans who were fucking with some nabs near shublas village and they were still redhanded. They were like right outside a korean village we didn't know belonged to them though and they ran in. We definitely got there within the 1hour redhand period though.

Another time me and felix I think or idk who tracked down some nabs who placed some siege equipment and then ran off and dunked them.

Even when Garen was helping the braziliains siege some shitters and they got dunked the whole reason they couldn't just port back after dunking them was because a lot of them were redhanded. I haven't even played in months and I can think about some situations where it has helped and I know there's more, especially a ton more in other worlds as this world we barely pvpd due to crashes and such.

Also I don't mean redhanded itself makes it HARDER to commit crimes, however, it's certainly a DETERRENT for a lot of people. Obviously not so much for you since your entire gameplay is pretty much trying to kill nabs and ruin their day. You also have work-arounds like koing yourself, etc. If red-handed meant absolutely nothing to you then you wouldn't try so hard to support this change. You obviously want this change so much because it heavily impacts your gameplay and is annoying for you after you down a nab. Also in W11 I literally remember you getting tracked while redhanded near LN and I came to help you and you ended up getting koed and I ended up leaving my knarr there.

When you were "new" in W10 you already played a ton in W7 and basically were instantly friends with HH who could back you up. You weren't some average nab who that situation was implied for. I do agree that eventually in a dead world where no one tracks you this excitement will fade away and just become tedious though.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:15 am

Also I can say with certainty and you know this @Snail that there has been COUNTLESS times where one side of a fight (especially our side) wants to leave a fight but we can't just port away because someone in our group is redhanded which forces the fight to go on even longer resulting in more KO's. Acting like this doesn't happen would be the biggest thing you could possibly lie about.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:30 am

XD
it's kinda funny that your entire argument against it is "but think of the nabs", but you provided like 3 examples. 2 of them were red handed nabs getting dunked(which I can provide a lot of examples of TOO) and the other was faction fighters getting tracked and then just running inside with nothing happening.

The BR vs. Ainran thing was just absolute nabs, like, don't know they can port after KO swimming into water with 80 red tier nabs getting dunked by Monke and then us going to fight them afterwards. On the boat ride there you even said you didn't want to go because you didn't think they would be there anymore. MULTIPLE TIMES. It was like a concerted effort from felix that made you stay. Red hand had nothing to do with the REAL fight T B H

I'm pretty sure(?) you're wrong about world 11 knarr incident. I went with u to fuck with ppl, we were surprised by how many turned up and decided to leave. We both ported and then you went back for the knarr later? Maybe you mean something else but idk

>90% of the fights we had this world were in the middle of Monke and Sacrear's village. In those fights there's no way that would happen bcuz ppl could just walk 5 mini-maps to one of the villages and go in. I've never rly felt like we had to stay at a fight to protect redhanded ppl. If you don't have a knarr for some dumb reason to just escape with everybody on, the last ppl in aggro are in more danger by virtue of being the last people in aggro more than red handed ppl who left render 30 seconds earlier.

TBH I think calling any attention to red hand at all is bad for me because I always expected nab retards to fuck up all the workarounds that make it barely a problem for me and my playstyle. I want redhand to not be an AUTISTIC WASTE OF TIME FOR NO REASON mainly because I have a pipedream of a mid tier PVP community and removing autistic, time wasting barriers to entry seems like a requirement for that. Can you provide examples of this happening? Because I'm trying rly fking hard and I can't think of 1.

edit: I just asked in village chat. Your village chat, with all of the fighters at these encounters who might have a better memory than me and they can't think of an example either...
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:45 am

Thanks for doing at least one thing about the crashes, even if it is this late, it's something.

Regarding redhand, I can't be arsed to read, but seeing people arguing reminds me of the 6 times that forager-killing snekkja was ganking our foragers after which they spent 1 hour running back to their safe villages right after the KO every single time, and us trying to track and catch up with them the first couple of times till we realised it's pointless cause our snekkjas were the same speed.
Which also makes me think, imagine if a noob actually ko'd some chad faction forager. The noob's shitty q10 snekkja would've been caught so fast in that 1 hour window.
Haha

By no means am I saying that I know what you should do about redhanded btw, but a video game forcing you to stay in game is... bad. It's not even content being forced on you, like doing a 25-man raid in WoW (for which you sign up, and doesn't involve spending 1 hour waiting for nothing). It's 1 hour of you having to either (non-fast)travel to your base or... sit and wait for the player alarm to ring. saidPlayerAlarmNotIncludedInVanillaClientBtw
Last edited by Nightdawg on Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:48 am

I thought I was giving examples of times where I tracked down redhanded people, not redhanded faction members lol. I feel like you're just trying to make any excuse you can. I think way more faction members have been tracked down than random nabs even, however, I didn't feel like that was a great example to provide since a lot of fighters actually WANT TO BE TRACKED DOWN in order to fight. The other post I made below that is a better example of redhands impact on faction fights. You're not really arguing anything here lol.

Also we are thinking of completely different situations. You definitely ended up getting koed in this situation I'm thinking of.

Maybe this world that may be true because this world combat was terrible and no one wanted to participate. You can't exclusively drag examples from this world though when red-handed was implemented more than 4 worlds ago lol. Even this world though there has been so many times where people are getting koed because they can't port away due to red-handed and there isn't a knarr or something nearby to help them. Everything you're saying is you being extremely disingenuous and it's hard to even take you seriously since I know you know all of this shit since I've played with you for a while.

I'd love to see other people in other factions post their concerns here like Ozzy/Berth, etc but I already know they have a similar stance to me as they've posted it on discord a while back. Red-handed is something I've never even considered a barrier to entry and I don't know anyone that has but you. Also you've continuously stated that you don't care about PVP to us and were only joining fights with us because we were all doing it. It's too kek watching you pull all of this out of your ass publicly to convince Jorb you have normal reasoning behind these changes rather than dunking nabs and not wasting your time after. I wish you would be more open to why you want these changes lul. I do agree it can be pretty annoying being red-handed when you know you're safe and nothing will happen.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:58 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:I didn't feel like that was a great example to provide since a lot of fighters actually WANT TO BE TRACKED DOWN in order to fight.

I would be down to get tracked TOO. Redhand doesn't affect tracking tho, kinda retarded to imply it does.

ChildhoodObesity wrote:Even this world though there has been so many times where people are getting koed because they can't port away due to red-handed and there isn't a knarr or something nearby to help them.

fucking list them??????????????[/quote]

ChildhoodObesity wrote:Red-handed is something I've never even considered a barrier to entry and I don't know anyone that has but you.

TBH it wasn't a very big deal in previous worlds that you actually played for more than 3 weeks. Like, world 10 redhand basically didn't exist because you would just take a road to CF then a road to your village. Which is something you actively want back and would be completely fine with. Me too, tbh. In world 12 it was charters in safepalis

Ur acting like redhand isn't x10000000000 worse than it has ever been. Now it's you port away a million miles, and you can't port back so you ACTUALLY NEED TO WAIT an hour. Alternatively, just have a knarr and shift click in a direction to be uncatchable.

idk how u can be this retarded tbh
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements