Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:47 am

loftar wrote:Will certainly consider a toggle for auto-stacking.

What is it with you guys and toggles and hotbelts? Put it in the options menu and make it global/persistent when I log on/off. The custom client coders figured that out and most of them are drug-addled college students.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:56 am

It would be super pog if you could stockpile stacks and they just automatically released the stack into the stockpile displaying the normal number of items in the stockpile. It seems kind of annoying to take items out of a stockpile through shift clicking it and then maybe you want to grab a few items at the highest quality in the pile and restockpiles them, however, it auto-stacks them in your inventory and then doesn't allow you to restockpile them until you separate the stacks.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby leeharvy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:12 am

loftar wrote:Will certainly consider a toggle for auto-stacking.

its looking like you may want to up the priority past considering. :)
i for one will be taking a break until it is a thing
leeharvy

Postby boshaw » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:21 am

If you have a barter stand that buys X, and X is a stackable item, you can sell to the stand when your inventory has just X; however, when X is stacked it won't let you sell to the stand giving you "You cannot pay the price". You have to unstack X manually into your inventory then you can sell to the stand.

This seems very counterintuitive considering buying from stands auto-stacks stackable items, yet you can't sell them back unless you were to unstack those items.

I tested this with a stand that buys "Ore" and a stack of Silvershine ore if it matters.

edit:
Also another annoying instance of stacked items not playing well is Drying Racks. When you scroll wheel into a drying rack it takes the items from your inventory into them, however if it's stacked items it won't. You have to unstack the item into your inventory then scroll wheel. If would be nice if the server simply just looked into your stacked items in your main inventory as well as an extension of your main inventory to take from to make it more seamless.
Last edited by boshaw on Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
boshaw

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:26 am

boshaw wrote:If you have a barter stand that buys X, and X is a stackable item, you can sell to the stand when your inventory has just X; however, when X is stacked it won't let you sell to the stand giving you "You cannot pay the price". You have to unstack X manually into your inventory then you can sell to the stand.

This seems very counterintuitive considering buying from stands auto-stacks stackable items, yet you can't sell them back unless you were to unstack those items.

I tested this with a stand that buys "Ore" and a stack of Silvershine ore if it matters.

It seems like the autostacking pickup creates a lot of issues in the inverse, huh?
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Dondy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:31 am

Auto bundling is not very nice.

It means sorting is now much harder.

:(
Dondy

Postby oloth » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:38 am

bug report:
Can't put bags on a horse...
oloth

Postby valeriesusanne » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:18 am

omg could someone please post a stacking tutorial - none of this seems intuitive (to me) Loading the smelter was a nightmare. Sorry, I'm easily confused :?
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby xyzzy57 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:49 am

Before the change, I could open my belt, and it would stay open, at least with the Ender client. The UI element I right clicked on to do that is still present, but only allows me to (re)move the belt. I *think* this UI element also existed in the standard client.

I loaded the standard client, and found the UI element I wanted is not currently present there. Moving items in and out of my belt has become much more tedious.

With the current version of the standard client I have to open the equipment screen, and hover the mouse over the belt to bring up a rectangle with the belt contents. This rectangle won't stay on the screen. It disappears when I take the mouse pointer out of it. E.g. to drag something in and out of the belt.

This makes everything involving the belt slower. I have to drag via the spot on the equipment screen, not to mention having the equipment screen (which is large) open and covering whatever else is going on. This is not something I want to deal with if I find the wrong gear equipped when attacked. Or any other time, but it's particularly bad to have the large screen in the way during combat.

I *think* this is new breakage in the official client. (I can't run this morning's version of the official client to check.)

Meanwhile, Ender's client is even more broken, having AFAICT no way at all to interact with belt contents, but I'll report that in the Ender client thread. (I suspect that client hasn't been updated at all.)

[Edit to add: if this is what you mean by mentioning "mouseover," I guess I assumed this would be *in addition* to being able to open the container normally and persistently, rather than *instead* of being able to open the container persistently.]
xyzzy57

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:00 am

I'm noticing some weird behaviour of autostacking when trying to shift+right click mixed stockpiles. Trying to reproduce but having a hard time figuring out what causes it. What caught my attention was I attempting to pick up a pile of hides, it stacked only the pig hides and I wound up with several single separate goat/horse hides. I was able to reproduce similar behaviour with multiple other piles, at varying levels of severity, but each one autostacked fine after setting the stockpile back down and picking it up again.

Edit: It's got to do with how full your inventory is, or its dimensions, I think.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements