Game Development: Paving the Way

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Paving the Way

Postby Hervarth » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:20 am

DaniAngione wrote:I do believe that the bow damage is fine (for hunting) but bad for people. Is there a way to keep it this strong for hunting but decrease its power for PVP? Because it kind of breaks the game but it wouldn't make sense to have to hit a fox 9 times with arrows either :P

Different armor penetration for melee and ranged attacks, prolly. Have not tested since my armour sucks right now :)
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

Postby Arcanist » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:02 am

We can farm on paved ground now?

Please bring back the hard borders for paved ground.
Arcanist

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:15 am

Arcanist wrote:We can farm on paved ground now?

It also attests to how hard it is to see a tile of crops. They kind of just go onto whatever tiles they want, usually looking more like they were planted on the tile next to them.
DDDsDD999

Postby jaguar » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:01 am

Arcanist wrote:Image

And add option to make such corners :twisted:
jaguar

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:22 am

Not worth a new thread on it, but loftar fixed the account page! You can see characters now!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby lithis » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:08 am

jaguar wrote:
Arcanist wrote:Image

Corners would be nice, i miss corners my 3x3 farm plots look a mess now :(.
lithis

Postby El-wook » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:41 am

jorb wrote: Depends on what you mean by "able to defend myself". If *I* wanted to make a "combat character" then I wouldn't put *anything* into other nonsense. Why, really? It's just increased character risk for no gain toward the end goal of being effective in combat. Dedication and specialization by necessity involves focus to the point of exclusion of other activities -- if that is indeed how total you want your ambition to be in the matter -- much as in real life. That being said the system has been designed to allow, hopefully, for a meaningful presence of player skill affecting the outcome of combat, and it has been our ambition that pretty much any player wielding a weapon should at least have to be accorded some amount of respect. Even the highest end player should be taking good chunks of damage if he doesn't maintain his blocks properly, for example, and there is also a limit to how much better character skills will relatively make you.

(And right now any idiot with a bow can probably one-or-two-shot pretty much anyone, but that is also not entirely as it should be.)

It is the intention that there should be character investment. It is the intention that combat skills should be a thing of their own, rather than a function of your abilities as a smith or farmer.

I also do not see it as obvious that the dark skills should be the most highly costed ones. In the past it has certainly from time to time been a problem that people have been unreasonably prevented from defending themselves due to being unable to attack other players for a lack of silly skills. The spectacle of nubs getting raided in the early days of a new world -- other nubs walking up to them and crudely taking their shit -- is a good example of that. This is an example of the fact that actions in the game cannot be neatly defined along the spectrum of aggressive (bad) to peacful(good). A lot of seemingly peaceful actions can be used for very untoward purposes.

I guess you're right, no matter how I go about it specialization will always be stronger then branching out and becoming a hybrid or even worse a jack of all trades. Well, I won't let it get into my head, for all that matters I can make allies and equip them if it comes to war with another village. Thanks for always keeping in touch with the community mate, it's much appreciated to be able to talk with you guys about your vision of the game and what you have in mind for it's future.
El-wook

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:39 am

El-wook wrote:Thanks for always keeping in touch with the community mate, it's much appreciated to be able to talk with you guys about your vision of the game and what you have in mind for it's future.

Thanks right back for taking an interest in it. Means a lot.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Delamore » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Talking about one hitting bows, what of one hitting swords? and the two hitting with unarmed?
Right now everything does massive damage
Last edited by Delamore on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delamore

Postby aikidragon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:52 pm

jaguar wrote:

I endorse this. Either 2 different types of pavement or a simple function that (upon completing a timer) cycles through 2 states of pavement.
aikidragon

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements