Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Postby Shiala » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Procne wrote:plowed field biome. I think it's actual type of biome now instead of an overlay like in Legacy. One field was grassland, and another was forest before. Granted, I haven't measured the time needed but usually it seemed that crop was ready on 3rd day after planting

Yeah my barley takes 3 days. That guy is using fuzzy math.
Shiala

Postby Delamore » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 pm

g1real wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Ignoring the concept of a faction "winning", it's forseeable that the game world could need a reset without a major tech advance requiring a wipe.

Honestly, haven is a phoenix and it does need wipes every 9-16 months. If a world went past 12 months, at some point I still feel the devs would need to initiate a wipe.

Perhaps haven should have an ending to it, a la wurm?

lol wurm has the exact same issue, in that it needs to reset but it never does unless something terrible happens to the game servers.
A Tale in the Desert is probably the only proper MMO I can think of that does resets in a crafting/building game.
I think structured resets based on the actions of players in the game would make haven more fun and healthier for the playercount.
Delamore

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Dragons should signal the end of a world.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jorb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:27 pm

lordrio wrote:There is a bug to this, and I'm not sure if its warrant a thread in the bug section.

If a char without 4k LP build and unable to finish the claim (and this is not his first claim), you can get a different char to with 4k LP to finish it. But 4k will not be deducted from either one of those char. Bond will goes to the 2nd char, and ownership will be the 1st char (Which is intended I guess)

Tested but could not reproduce. LP was deducted as intended.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:57 am

Delamore wrote:A Tale in the Desert is probably the only proper MMO I can think of that does resets in a crafting/building game.

This game man, was amazing, is amazing, stays amazing. If only Haven had their minigames.

I think structured resets based on the actions of players in the game would make haven more fun and healthier for the playercount.

However, I can see both sides of the argument. I think the current path being pursued, where the world purifies itself as old villages and claims get abandoned is the perfect form of 'reset'. I've seen barren worlds full of ruins so tightly packed together there's nowhere to set your own claim. (Hyperbolicly, it was never THIS bad, but it often made sense to build on the ruins of others than to start your own).

They've talked about paving slowly being devoured by the wilderness, houses fall down RELATIVELY quickly (though stone mansions take their sweet time), and eventually even unclaimed brick walls fall to the ravages of time. Refinement of this process will have the world renewing itself.

This also means, incidentally, that crops should eventually disappear if not harvested. Frankly I've always felt they should slowly degrade in quality if not harvested within 24 hours of being 'ripe' and eventually just disappear altogether.

In short -> The world needs to handle the 'reset' process, with the old factions that have withstood the test of time still being able to continue on.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby mobtown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:37 am

jorb wrote:One of the things that ensures that the game is never hard is that it never forces itself on the player. All animals can more or less always be avoided, your settlement is never attacked or otherwise engaged, &c&c. Philosophically this is one of the things that I'd like to do something about, that is to say I'd like it if the game tried to engage the player from time to time, although I'm admittedly not entirely sure how to go about that.

already suggested adding a demi-hearthen race that spawns in camps in empty areas and slowly grows bigger and stronger and eventually sends out raiding parties. make it like the barbarian camps in the civ games
mobtown

Postby Procne » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:50 am

mobtown wrote:
jorb wrote:One of the things that ensures that the game is never hard is that it never forces itself on the player. All animals can more or less always be avoided, your settlement is never attacked or otherwise engaged, &c&c. Philosophically this is one of the things that I'd like to do something about, that is to say I'd like it if the game tried to engage the player from time to time, although I'm admittedly not entirely sure how to go about that.

already suggested adding a demi-hearthen race that spawns in camps in empty areas and slowly grows bigger and stronger and eventually sends out raiding parties. make it like the barbarian camps in the civ games

That sounds like a lot of AI coding for a questionable outcome
Procne

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:47 am

I didn't occur to me to ask until now:

Is the 4k cost for a new claim based on current number of existing claims, or is it based on if I've ever build a claim before? ie, i declaim my spot to move on and have 0 claims, will it cost me 4k LP, or will I get it for no cost?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby RickyP602 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:52 am

MagicManICT wrote:I didn't occur to me to ask until now:

Is the 4k cost for a new claim based on current number of existing claims, or is it based on if I've ever build a claim before? ie, i declaim my spot to move on and have 0 claims, will it cost me 4k LP, or will I get it for no cost?

Been wondering this myself.
RickyP602

Postby jorb » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:55 am

Current number.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements