Game Development: Bugapalooza

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bugapalooza

Postby Sevenless » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Just use spare stone from mining to pave the ground where dust falls. Problem solved, no annoying flags.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Potjeh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Seriously, why not a simple toggle for displaying surveys? The current solution is too harsh for legitimate use of surveys.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby mattresses » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:39 pm

jorb wrote:I agree that it should be possible to make cliffs, but as it was it was an unintended behavior, quite simply.

Stone retaining walls pls jorb
mattresses

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Procne wrote:It is still possible and we're not forgetting that. But it wasn't supposed to substitute support mining. Exploratory mining, or getting first ore for first metal bars, without supports is easily doable. If needed you can mark tiles with pavement. But when you start mining out metal veins you should use supports. I understand you don't want paving the floor because it makes foragables stop spawning. Well, I think you want too much.

I don't understand why they don't just make cave-ins a completely random event with an equal chance every tile if not under a support.

They could always make timber supports to assist with prospecting that a range half to a quarter that of current supports. (IE - Just a few tiles around the place the supports are placed)
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby shubla » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Procne wrote:It is still possible and we're not forgetting that. But it wasn't supposed to substitute support mining. Exploratory mining, or getting first ore for first metal bars, without supports is easily doable. If needed you can mark tiles with pavement. But when you start mining out metal veins you should use supports. I understand you don't want paving the floor because it makes foragables stop spawning. Well, I think you want too much.

I don't understand why they don't just make cave-ins a completely random event with an equal chance every tile if not under a support.

They could always make timber supports to assist with prospecting that a range half to a quarter that of current supports. (IE - Just a few tiles around the place the supports are placed)

Th is is why we cant have nice things, people like you complain about best changes in the game.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby rye130 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I don't understand why they don't just make cave-ins a completely random event with an equal chance every tile if not under a support.

What kind of idiot would prefer random events over the current system of being able to mine without supports if you want to put in the effort?
rye130

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 pm

rye130 wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I don't understand why they don't just make cave-ins a completely random event with an equal chance every tile if not under a support.

What kind of idiot would prefer random events over the current system of being able to mine without supports if you want to put in the effort?

The kind that feels that that is in now way how mining actually works. I feel that obviating the supports obviates the intended consumption of a resource to be employed in mining.

shubla wrote:This is why we cant have nice things, people like you complain about best changes in the game.

Just have differing definitions of 'best'
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Kelody » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Depending upon you're luck you might have a dozen or more tiles skipped in the range of a support. Also, it takes more time to plan around the risky tiles.
Kelody

Postby spectacle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:16 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
rye130 wrote:

The kind that feels that that is in now way how mining actually works. I feel that obviating the supports obviates the intended consumption of a resource to be employed in mining.

shubla wrote:This is why we cant have nice things, people like you complain about best changes in the game.

Just have differing definitions of 'best'

Mining with supports is still superior since you get to exploit every tile of ore without worrying about caveins. Mining without supports is a fun alternative that makes sense in some cases though. Make caveins random and you make the game simpler and more boring since you no longer have a real choice whether to build supports or not.
Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"
spectacle

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:07 pm

spectacle wrote:Mining with supports is still superior since you get to exploit every tile of ore without worrying about caveins. Mining without supports is a fun alternative that makes sense in some cases though. Make caveins random and you make the game simpler and more boring since you no longer have a real choice whether to build supports or not.

This is a fair argument.
Lunarius_Haberdash

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements