Game Development: Lettuce Imagine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Lettuce Imagine

Postby Leafstab » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:39 pm

jorb wrote:
Myrgard wrote:On another hand acre clay is finite

I don't know where you're getting this from. No it isn't.

But but but what about regenerating worlds? You want us to dig infinitely deep holes creating massive scars on the land for our acre clay? +1 would like to see more scars on the world ¦]
Leafstab

Postby Potjeh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Yes it is. As acre pit depth increases, the amount of soil needed to be excavated to get a unit of acre clay approaches infinity. Lrn2math, Jorb.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Redlaw » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:42 pm

yay earthen ware platters, ill make one next week when I get my refill. Got to stretch my tiny game time as much as possable right now. Though I did spend almost 2 hours working my farm this week.
Redlaw

Postby jorb » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Potjeh wrote:Yes it is. As acre pit depth increases, the amount of soil needed to be excavated to get a unit of acre clay approaches infinity. Lrn2math, Jorb.

Within the realm of the practical it is infinite.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Practical is a vague term. What's practically inexhaustible to a hermit is a week's supply to a big town. Especially since acre spots are so tiny now.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Smoopadoop wrote:If acre clay makes deep pits in mudflats which can't be filled up ever again ever, something is seriously wrong.

CAN you fill it up? Does every piece of terrain there give acre clay 100%?
If no, pls fix

Do you mean that the pit gets too deep to add soil to it? I believe it was already reported as a bug. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=44456

Or do you mean that trying to refill the clay spot with soil (to make more clay) doesn't work and that the last two pages of tears are real and not simply because they haven't bothered trying yet?

@jorb: yeah, I can see a high quality acre clay spot eating up a lot of bits out of the world. It's hardly infinite, but big question is how long can we stretch it? This world may not be an issue (I still figure on a world reset sooner rather than later), but what about one that really does run a couple years or longer?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:44 pm

spectacle wrote:
jorb wrote:I've made it what it was in Legacy. Acre clay isn't exactly the Koh-i-Noor diamond.

Maybe not, but acre clay pits are going to resemble diamond mines:

Pravin Lal being against thermal boreholes, where have I seen this before.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby spavaloo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:54 pm

jorb wrote:I've made it what it was in Legacy. Acre clay isn't exactly the Koh-i-Noor diamond.

To me this had nothing to do with your LP gain or even curios, but everything to do with what the toy chariot has always been. Like I said, I could consider adding a new clay curio.

Going to toss my suggestion in the likely-nonexistent hat- clay boats.

Both to carry the theme of tiny clay vehicles and to increase the number of miniature boats in the game. I've also thought for quite some time now that one should be able to place a bark boat in a river, where it will begin drifting towards the largest lake connected to that river. Little unmanned boats happily drifting along on their journey. Maybe they could last a few days before decaying.
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Potjeh wrote:Practical is a vague term. What's practically inexhaustible to a hermit is a week's supply to a big town. Especially since acre spots are so tiny now.

I dunno. Lowering a medium-sized acre-clay field a mere 10 units should be enough to make 2,500 toy chariots, and even a town with 100 characters doing nothing but studying toy-chariots day in and day out should be good for a month on that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Potjeh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:20 pm

That's a pretty realistic estimate for a number of chars studying chariots, considering all the alts. But how many months do you intend to run the world? The area that needs to be dug will increase one layer of tiles per each leveling step (can't exceed max slope), so as time goes on the increase in work investment in making chariots will make them the worst curio by far.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements