Game Development: Castles in the Sand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Castles in the Sand

Postby Treetheater » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:48 am

Archiplex wrote:
Treetheater wrote:
I'll agree that working around this system with alts would be kind of irritating, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't do it. Honestly the biggest problem with this idea is that it makes something that was possible and considered to be fair, now impossible and for some reason a 'forbidden' action. Getting your shit rekt is just part of the game, and any change that pretty much completely removes that ability doesn't seem right to me...

The workaround requires so much effort and resources that it's not really a "workaround" anymore- it's an inconvenience and something that could only be afforded by the most competitive and organized of groups - which isn't bad.

And even so- it's a lot better solution for the game now. The idea of the suggestion was that alongside implemented the "mental weight of crime" idea - Raiding would also become easier in some other form.

This means that it would happen more often, but it wouldn't be as punishing or horrible.

Yeah, it'd be nice if stealing from people was a little bit easier I suppose, i'd also enjoy seeing crime be a more common, but lesser threat. But I see no real way to do this with the current structure of the game. How do you propose to make getting into other villages easier? It's already pretty 'easy' in terms of simplicity, it's just quite annoying to actually go through the process.

Maybe if this whole new crime mechanic revolved around something like being able to 'jump' over people's walls, and THEN all the mental weight stuff came into play...So in contrast, if you've gone through the trouble of actually ramming their walls, then no 'crime rules' apply. This way, the new idea is implemented and useful, but the ability to completely destroy someones base, if you y'know are into that kind of thing, stays in the game. Really the removal of that just seems so unhaven-like, i'd really like to see that stay in the game.
Treetheater

Postby ethan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:54 am

Clemence wrote:This system could lead to religion stuff : if you pray a high qual confessionnal in a nice church with stuff ( statues, candels ) that act like symbels act on table, you can make your sin ( raiding debuf) vanishing faster.

Ha! Its not raiding if you pray to a god and wear white with a red cross.

That kinda sounds like a fun end game, holy wars, trying to destroy each others place of worship
ethan

Postby ethan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 am

Treetheater wrote:
Archiplex wrote:
Treetheater wrote:
I'll agree that working around this system with alts would be kind of irritating, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't do it. Honestly the biggest problem with this idea is that it makes something that was possible and considered to be fair, now impossible and for some reason a 'forbidden' action. Getting your shit rekt is just part of the game, and any change that pretty much completely removes that ability doesn't seem right to me...

The workaround requires so much effort and resources that it's not really a "workaround" anymore- it's an inconvenience and something that could only be afforded by the most competitive and organized of groups - which isn't bad.

And even so- it's a lot better solution for the game now. The idea of the suggestion was that alongside implemented the "mental weight of crime" idea - Raiding would also become easier in some other form.

This means that it would happen more often, but it wouldn't be as punishing or horrible.

Yeah, it'd be nice if stealing from people was a little bit easier I suppose, i'd also enjoy seeing crime be a more common, but lesser threat. But I see no real way to do this with the current structure of the game. How do you propose to make getting into other villages easier? It's already pretty 'easy' in terms of simplicity, it's just quite annoying to actually go through the process.

Maybe if this whole new crime mechanic revolved around something like being able to 'jump' over people's walls, and THEN all the mental weight stuff came into play...So in contrast, if you've gone through the trouble of actually ramming their walls, then no 'crime rules' apply. This way, the new idea is implemented and useful, but the ability to completely destroy someones base, if you y'know are into that kind of thing, stays in the game. Really the removal of that just seems so unhaven-like, i'd really like to see that stay in the game.

I don't think it would remove the ability to completely destroy someones claim, you would just need to dedicate a bit more time to it. Which would still pale in comparison to the amount of time they invested in establishing their claim. Take a week of raiding to remove all trace, of a claim that took a few months to setup. Instead of destroying it all within a night.

I wonder if something like this would work as a way to increase ease of raiding?
Rams drying time removed completely, but split the rams into 2 types. First can destroy palisade but not brick, requires a bunch of hard leather investment. Second can destroy brick but requires a bunch of steel. That way you only build a ram when you know you are going to get a return on your investment, or when you really want to shit in someones cornflakes.

Then you can have your spruce cap wars as they raid each other for wrought iron/steel, in an attempt to be the first to have brickwalls.
ethan

Postby Turtlesir » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:05 am

Smoopadoop wrote:
Thedrah wrote:i didn't read most of the thread but...

can you 'travel along' a path through a gate and still get flagged for being a visitor?
does any gate work? like a roundpole fence gate work aswell?
what are the dimensions for the stone tower? does it have many floors? are there windows on any floor? (even if you can't see out them)

Jlo pls answer

don't know traveling through gates.
any gate works, even roundpole fence.

stone tower takes up 7x7, and has 5 floors of 7x7 + 14x14 cellar. no windows inside.
i'd suggest using one of the more polychromatic stones, like quartz or flint, to make up for the hugely stretched textures.
Turtlesir

Postby Maldrad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Big cities, ha?
Nope. Not gonna happen. I will never leave my solitary but prosperous domain in the middle of wild woods.
Maldrad

Postby Kelody » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:33 am

Treetheater wrote:
Yeah, it'd be nice if stealing from people was a little bit easier...

While I wouldn't really care if someone needing something robbed me, the raiding parties are not interested in loot. They just want to smash and kill. Losing a few easily replaceable tools or seeds isn't that big a deal. Having someone come along, razing crops, destroying cabinets, and letting stuff rot isn't something I'd care to experience.

Then again, if someone just asked for a bar of iron or a few seeds, I'd probably give them some without needing them to steal.

One major barrier to trade is the lack of a trade option. The only way to trade atm is to drop something or put it in an off deed container and hope they do the same.
Kelody

Postby LittleJohn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:23 am

Kelody wrote:
Treetheater wrote:
Yeah, it'd be nice if stealing from people was a little bit easier...

While I wouldn't really care if someone needing something robbed me, the raiding parties are not interested in loot. They just want to smash and kill. Losing a few easily replaceable tools or seeds isn't that big a deal. Having someone come along, razing crops, destroying cabinets, and letting stuff rot isn't something I'd care to experience.

Then again, if someone just asked for a bar of iron or a few seeds, I'd probably give them some without needing them to steal.

One major barrier to trade is the lack of a trade option. The only way to trade atm is to drop something or put it in an off deed container and hope they do the same.

Maybe if there were some way to compete ... Some players struggle with animals is insufficient and can fight in Valhalla until after his death. Maybe if there was any arena or something? Or a mechanic allows you to honor duels? Honour would be a kind of "currency" that could be used like faith in the old HNH.
LittleJohn

Postby Amanda44 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Loftar, Jorb - Could one of you, or anyone here, please put that in number terms for me ... like how many stone would be required for each part? And are blocks using the inner colour on all structures? (How I ended up with that awful cellar door, and one pretty bland nobles chair. :( )
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Scoodles » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Amanda44 wrote:

Loftar, Jorb - Could one of you, or anyone here, please put that in number terms for me ... like how many stone would be required for each part? And are blocks using the inner colour on all structures? (How I ended up with that awful cellar door, and one pretty bland nobles chair. :( )

740 Primary
660 Secondary
600 Tertiary

Inner colour will be used in this case

These exact numbers are not necessary but they should work
Primary will be whatever stone was used in the largest quantity
Secondary will be the second largest quantity provided it's total is at least half of the primary's quantity, else it will be primary again
Tertiary will be the third largest quantity provided it's total is at least half of the secondary's quantity, else it will be secondary again

Inner colour is used if the object is wood grain (top of the rustic table)
Outer colour is used if the object is bark (legs of the rustic table)
sabinati wrote:AAAIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Scoodles

Postby Amanda44 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Scoodles wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:

740 Primary
660 Secondary
600 Tertiary

Inner colour will be used in this case

These exact numbers are not necessary but they should work
Primary will be whatever stone was used in the largest quantity
Secondary will be the second largest quantity provided it's total is at least half of the primary's quantity, else it will be primary again
Tertiary will be the third largest quantity provided it's total is at least half of the secondary's quantity, else it will be secondary again

Inner colour is used if the object is wood grain (top of the rustic table)
Outer colour is used if the object is bark (legs of the rustic table)

Thank you so much! It's such a big structure I really didn't want to make a mistake with it. :)
I do try and work these things out myself, lol, but I already had it wrong so it's a good job I asked ....

Much appreciated. :D

Wait ... see this is the bit I don't understand ... I get that primary is the biggest quantity but;

660 isn't half of 740 ... neither is 600 half of 660 ... my maths skills are not good but .... :?
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements