Game Development: Death

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Death

Postby Potjeh » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Because in those game people more advanced than you can't come and destroy everything you worked on.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby venatorvenator » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:41 pm

lachlaan wrote:But having admitted that I can't believe the right solution to be any of the following:

a) drawing new players to an incomplete game before mechanics can be balanced and made circular and self-sustaining in nature. I want haven to be a game that won't so much have an endgame but will rather be like Tetris, in that the content doesn't change but you could perhaps always have a match or two. It needs proper replayability. After it gets it, bring in the masses for sure, and they'll never complain for content if the gameplay is acceptable in quality.

Is it really incomplete, though? Don't get me wrong, I do think the path it took is fucked up, but it's not an incomplete game. We may think so because we've been playing for a long time and finding exploits is the norm here, but would a fresh player feel the same? I mean, would they have fun with the game as it is - instead of comparing it to w7, w3, and other could-have-beens? That's an important question, I think. Whom is this game being developed for? For veteran players who have a brickwall by the second week of the world, or for new players who are just starting and don't powergame?
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby jorb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:41 pm

Potjeh wrote:Because in those game people more advanced than you can't come and destroy everything you worked on.

Arguably they can't in Haven either, though.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:42 pm

So you expect new players to have a brick wall up in the first week or so?

Googling around various forums, it seems the #1 reason people don't want to play H&H is because it's that game where autistic poopsockers come and wreck you and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Not saying whether that's factual, just describing the popular perception of the game.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Redlaw » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Potjeh wrote:Because in those game people more advanced than you can't come and destroy everything you worked on.

Some you can, but not all, some are war games.

But ya over all your right on that.

Edit: you can get a brick wall if you play non stop for about that week, might take two weeks max if you are slow and do not get lucky.
Redlaw

Postby Potjeh » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Redlaw wrote:Edit: you can get a brick wall if you play non stop for about that week, might take two weeks max if you are slow and do not get lucky.

If it's your first time playing? I seriously doubt that.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby strpk0 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:49 pm

It's not really a problem of p2w people wrecking everything you have, it's just that the game becomes pointless if every effort you input into it can be easily achieved by paying X sum of money. The game just gets perceived as a joke from that point.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Potjeh » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Nah, I haven't seen people complaining it's P2W, mostly it's just complains about catching up with people who started earlier and have no lives outside the game (thankfully the general public doesn't seem to know just how bad the bot problem is).
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby venatorvenator » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Potjeh wrote:Googling around various forums, it seems the #1 reason people don't want to play H&H is because it's that game where autistic poopsockers come and wreck you and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Not saying whether that's factual, just describing the popular perception of the game.

People like to be creative in games and leave their marks in the world. Here, though, anyone who tries to be creative with something becomes a target. Dis' Emporium would have been impossible, for example, if it had been attempted by anyone if not by Dis themselves.
Even if that's a false perception of the game, it's still a pretty serious turnoff and it's understandable why those people choose not to play. Why would I make an effort to build something interesting if destroying it is so much easier and inconsequential?
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby sabinati » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 pm

shubla wrote:
jorb wrote:
LadyGoo wrote:Priced like the best game ever made.

You mean largely free to play?

HnH is not free to play in reality.
To do anything other than small hermitage in game. 1 hour / day is not enough.
"free account" is more like "trial account"

If you're playing a game for more than 2 hours per day (verified account one time cost $15), then you should pay. If you play 4 hours per day for 30 days and spend $10 you just paid $0.08 per hour of entertainment.
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements