Game Development: Riff-Rafts

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Riff-Rafts

Postby LadyGoo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:06 pm

The major reason why we liked the Kingdoms idea so much is the potential for more social interactions, structures, politics and etc.:
1. Noobs could offer something more, than some crappy curios and money: they could be used as a human-power source for Kingdom's authority. Therefore, there are more reasons to spare the life of one and actually try to keep the person within your lands by offering some benefits or fair rule.
2. More self-generating interest: you have to constantly keep an eye on what is happening in the Kingdom to make sure it will keep being attractive to newcomers = getting stronger.
3. Higher end-game and changing the meta: for year the meta-game in haven remains pretty much the same. It has changed a bit with the implementation of the OP resourse nodes, but they are not solely enough to change the playstyle.

So yeah, I think the following elements from the Kingdoms claim authority system should be implemented:
- hermits and other noobs being useful;
- what if the kingdom's claim overpowers any other claims on resource nodes? Therefore there is a need to maintain high authority on the Kingdom's claim and etc.
- more equal confrontation on village vs village, hermit vs hermit scale.

Therefore a village cannot solely rely on martial skills, but on diplomacy, content generation and etc.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Kaios » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:08 pm

loftar wrote:Well, again, if the XP tax is no longer necessary for the siege system, I'm not really sure what it would be used for instead.

Instead you have a claim shield now though which works just as well. A small hermit that has become a vassal of a Kingdom might provide that Kingdom a small defense bonus to their claim shield and as well in return the Kingdom could provide a bonus to the vassal.
Kaios

Postby ven » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 pm

loftar wrote:
ven wrote:Vassals contributing with a XP tax to the kingdom in order to turn random noobs into useful assets instead of being just griefing targets.

Well, again, if the XP tax is no longer necessary for the siege system, I'm not really sure what it would be used for instead.

It could be used to create special buildings, or for maintenance of custom "laws" that grant minor bonuses to the citizens.
Venator
ven

Postby ddrboy54 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 pm

The largest groups of botters wants having a lot of people give a kingdom claim that overrides any other type?

Seems like a legitimate suggestion.
ddrboy54

Postby Kaios » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:19 pm

ddrboy54 wrote:The largest groups of botters wants having a lot of people give a kingdom claim that overrides any other type?

Seems like a legitimate suggestion.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=45154
Kaios

Postby iamah » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:23 pm

i dont know about late game but early on this game is my favorite survival, for the simplicity of tasks and the art style makes the world alive to me... I'll probably get stomped later when the war begins, but if you enjoy the ride it's no problem to start over... i was bored as hell in Salem because every little task is full of meaningless sub-tasks ad infinitum, and the ever growing costs of biles, just recently the mining grind was increased by a lot... mining it was the only part i still remotely enjoyed in salem, so now I'm here and the early game is beautiful and i enjoy the world... great addition the new payment service, and with some performance gains I think this game is going to need a bigger map... i'm near the invisible walls and already have quite a few neighbors
iamah

Postby sabinati » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:12 am

loftar wrote:
ven wrote:Vassals contributing with a XP tax to the kingdom in order to turn random noobs into useful assets instead of being just griefing targets.

Well, again, if the XP tax is no longer necessary for the siege system, I'm not really sure what it would be used for instead.

claiming land for the kingdom
sabinati

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:03 am

loftar wrote:

I'm sure you guys could come up with dozens of uses for it... Minor boons and such is just a start.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Orcling » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:48 am

MagicManICT wrote:
loftar wrote:

I'm sure you guys could come up with dozens of uses for it... Minor boons and such is just a start.

We have coins now. Taxes would give them at least some use.
Orcling

Postby Glorthan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:27 am

Orcling wrote:We have coins now. Taxes would give them at least some use.

I'm guessing you missed the Venetian Emporium in W8?
Glorthan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements