Game Development: My Horse is Amazing

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: My Horse is Amazing

Postby jorb » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:06 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added a Knarr. The Knarr is a large transport ship, capable of carrying 10 people and 64 units of cargo. The Knarr has a base speed of four (which is the same as the rowboat), which increases asymptotically toward 8 with increased quality.
  • Horses can now be domesticated. Horses have three unique values which can be bred: Endurance, Stamina, and Metabolism. Endurance determines how much pony power the horse has. Stamina determines how fast the horse regenerates pony power from its food meter. Metabolism determines how much pony power each unit of food is converted to. You can hearth home with a horse, while mounted. The horse tracks its last rider, so if you dismount while visiting someone's claim, you can still remount without losing the horse, much the same as with boats.
  • Made it so that you, if you hold shift while right-clicking a portal, get a preview before crossing said world portal/door/staircase/teleport/road. When you move to a new area you first get to see it, with a magnifying glass cursor to indicate the preview mode. Left-click to proceed, and right-click to cancel. Charter stones and roads always show previews. Let us know what you think.
  • There is now a cosmetic equipment slot for store-bought hats! The cosmetic hat slot allows you to override your otherwise functional headgear with some suave threads and bling. The slot is invisible as such, but whenever you equip a store hat, the hat will place itself to the right of the ordinary hat slot, and appear visually on your character in place of your normal hat, quite simply. Previously equipped store hats will unequip as a result of this. Update your clients!
  • You may now gift your store-bought hats to others. Hold the hat you wish to give away, and right-click the Hearthling you wish to give it to, and "Transfer Ownership". The hat will permanently transfer to the account of whomever you gave it to.
  • Added Bark Stockpile
  • Added Parasol Mushroom to three forest terrains, and one grass.
  • Added "First Aid" skill and moved all medicaments to a crafting submenu of their own, "Medicine & First Aid".

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Made it so that interactions requiring following -- such as homing toward a fight target -- check the target's bounding box, rather than center coordinate, which should fix the problem, for example, of retardedly bouncing against animals with large bounding boxes (Aurochsen, &c). Should also imply that you more meaningfully can use the follow command against boats and riders, &c. Cart should now also follow horses better. This should fix this.
  • Food Satiations no longer reduce energy gain. That they did so was never intentional.
  • Should now be able to fire ranged weapons from horses, boats, and other mounts. This might be too overpowered, but if it is then the solution isn't to prevent firing from mounts, but rather to adjust elsewhere. We'll see!

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a bug causing LP boosting items to not work.
  • Scents should no longer count as a Q0 input for Nidbane fetters, as reported here. One thing to note is that the quality of the Runed Dolmen matters. A separate problem was that the quality was never set on Runed Dolmens upon build completion, and this should also now be fixed. Existing Dolmens effectively have Q0, so you might want to build new ones.
  • Added unique sound when moving on snow. Suggested here.
  • Removed a number indicator from ground pipeweed output to hopefully clear up this confusion. How much pipestuff you get when grinding is slightly randomized.
  • Invite mechanics (party, spar, &c) should now be properly integrated with the general action system, preventing things like sparring with dead people, and whatnot. Reported here.
  • Cutting up old logs should now scatter the content, rather than destroy it, as reported here.
  • You now get a message when buddies come online. Suggested here. Also added a message sound.
  • Should now get an error message when trying to pickup scents you already have an instance of in your inventory.
  • Should now get an error message when you try to create a fighting relation -- attack someone -- but fail for some reason, for example a lack of skills, permissions &c.
  • You now get a system message when triggering a level up by eating.
  • You now get an error message when mining too close to a cave entrance.
  • Horses now ride down small animals.
  • You now get a different error message when unable to jump using a charter stone due to too long distance. Reported here.
  • Siege machines can no longer traverse ridges.
  • Added a tooltip to the Presence meter in claims to indicate the time until the claim goes active.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • Pretty much same as last time. Nothing too critical outside of client optimizations that we're aware of -- let us know if we miss something -- so we'll just keep on trucking. We have some hopefully cool ideas.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $10, is the "Pirate Captain's Hat".

Store Description wrote:Image$10
Be ye a landlubber, or the terror o' the seven seas? Sail the Black Pearl all the way to Tortuga by yer onesies with this dreamboat of a hat.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: My Horse is Amazing

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:07 am

42/10 best patch ever
Last edited by APXEOLOG on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby jordancoles » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:07 am

Also HOLY FUCK
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Moisture » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:07 am

Oh shit, them fucking ships.
Very nice.
Can you feel my sinister vibe?
Moisture

Postby Wynzyk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:07 am

We are celebrating
Wynzyk

Postby happyface104 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

jesus cucking christ
Le meme generation ecks dee <;^)
happyface104

Postby ArvinJA » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

:o
Last edited by ArvinJA on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The low life has lost its appeal
And I'm tired of walking these streets
To a room with its cupboards bare
ArvinJA

Postby Clemence » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

OMG, look great !
Clemence

Postby jordancoles » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

I've waited 5 worlds for this

Last edited by jordancoles on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MightySheep » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

hahhaha yesss fcking epic update

I literally killed my own horse 15 minutes ago trying to do horse archery, so glad u patched that

and the boats look so awesome
MightySheep

Next

Return to Announcements