Game Development: Mammoth

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mammoth

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:43 pm

lachlaan wrote:separate pve and pvp gear and skillsets

And here is where you lose your audience. That's a sham. It's a stupid waste of development resources. It's a stupid waste of a player's time. I like most things about WoW and other theme park MMOs, but this is one that has really annoyed the hell out of me. I hate wasting time grinding for two or three sets of gear (or more). Truthfully, several games pull off using the same gear and equipment for all aspects of the game, even ones with very large development teams.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Thedrah » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:02 pm

why not scale down damage when pvp? like all damage is halved when it's pvp :3
or damage is doubled for pve, whatever floats your boat
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby lachlaan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:48 pm

It's not about the separate gear for PvE, just make it all revolve less around gear and more around skill. There is no kiting, there is only being capable of face-tanking it or not being able to do it. There are no moves to distract a creature so group hunting means everyone has to be clones of one another tank wise. Spam defenses , surround, bash, chase, rinse and repeat with other big creatures. Archery on big creatures? Get rekt when they reach you, and they will unless you're on horseback. Be on horseback and have framerate lag mess you up anyway. Idk i'd just like a more interesting system, if only by the addition of flanking and directional attacks rather than magically connected ones. Wether it's too much dev work put in is arguable, it depends on how long you want to wait till hunting becomes a fun aspect of the game instead of another grind you need to do to advance. I'd rather it be both those things :)
lachlaan

Postby damnredrain » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:35 pm

lachlaan wrote:
jorb wrote:
hlor45s wrote:Cocky image

Will nerf. Thanks.

No idea how they're force resetting large areas or scouting them, but in a 6 hour exploratory trip last night and all foraging trips since the patch I have yet to see one. So perhaps just make spawning less exploitable rather than making them unfeasible to hunt or find for the less than hardcore crowd.

Agreed. We wasted a few hours trying to find one without success. Mby u should make them fate instead? If you find one, you'll have no luck finding another one for some period of time, no matter how hard you try?
damnredrain

Postby hlor45s » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:30 pm

damnredrain wrote:Agreed. We wasted a few hours trying to find one without success. Mby u should make them fate instead? If you find one, you'll have no luck finding another one for some period of time, no matter how hard you try?

i found it today. just 30 min and minimum 2+. and if i have luck than much more!
Attachments
3b6be-clip-240kb.jpg
3b6be-clip-240kb.jpg (239.93 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
hlor45s

Postby dageir » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:56 pm

How do mammoths fit in the lore? What time are we in?
dageir

Postby sabinati » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:09 pm

Another world... Another time... In the age of wonder.
sabinati

Postby ArvinJA » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:19 pm

sabinati wrote:Another world... Another time... In the age of wonder.

90s summer camp
The low life has lost its appeal
And I'm tired of walking these streets
To a room with its cupboards bare
ArvinJA

Postby Clemence » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:35 pm

sabinati wrote:Another world... Another time... In the age of wonder.

But there is no tabaco nor potatoes, cause those carabayen pirates and mexican hat dudes have not discover america yet.
Clemence

Postby synaris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:40 pm

lachlaan wrote:Separate hunting from pvp. Some other mmo games I've played have seen fit to separate pve and pvp gear and skillsets because balancing one usually murders the other. The hunting minigame should be reasonably hard, but doable with skill more than armor and defense spamming. Perhaps give animals turn speeds, limit attacks to cone areas that make sense for each attack. Make people need to dodge or flank. Make attacks be negated by more reasons defenses. A weak boring / blunt attsck would need a shield. A clawing/slicing attack metal armor. A mammoth boring would need you to dodge or be shattered for a month if alive at all. But such a system would require optimizations to actually make such combat (or pvp for that matter) viable.

NO. as it stands hunting animals gives a bit of practice for PVP and the general idea of how combat works. raiders already have the advantage of being more skilled, more prepared, and having movesets specifically designed to take out other players, compared to none raiders. lets NOT widen that gap by making non raiders less skilled at combat.
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements