Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Approaches to Combat

Postby Kaios » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:49 pm

One thing that I don't think very many people consider to be an issue but I think is a bit of a big one is related to custom clients and the ability to view your own and other player's path movements.

Knowing exactly where someone is moving to is a pretty big fucking deal in this game and that little line might be a minor addition to custom clients but I feel like it has a pretty huge effect on the overall combat. Further, not everyone plays with the same clients and some clients don't have that option nor do they offer other implementations like the bow aiming line. If anyone claims they want combat to be as fair as possible then they would agree these issues need to be addressed.

Either make these implementations in the default client so they are available for all players or figure out a way to deny everyone of them. The choice is yours but please do something because the outcome of combat isn't only dictated by skill and stats when these things exist.
Kaios

Postby Granger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Kaios wrote:One thing that I don't think very many people consider to be an issue but I think is a bit of a big one is related to custom clients and the ability to view your own and other player's path movements.

Knowing exactly where someone is moving to is a pretty big fucking deal in this game and that little line might be a minor addition to custom clients but I feel like it has a pretty huge effect on the overall combat. Further, not everyone plays with the same clients and some clients don't have that option nor do they offer other implementations like the bow aiming line. If anyone claims they want combat to be as fair as possible then they would agree these issues need to be addressed.

Either make these implementations in the default client so they are available for all players or figure out a way to deny everyone of them. The choice is yours but please do something because the outcome of combat isn't only dictated by skill and stats when these things exist.

This.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Astarisk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:14 am

Yeah, personally speaking I would rather have seen smaller changes and additions to the current system than the rework of it all. However, if they do roll out with the new updated system, I just hope they can keep up with working on it, and not get completely side tracked by other projects. As it stands now, It feels like it will need a lot of iterations and updates to get in a proper spot. Hopefully they don't decide to just release it and forget about it.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Eleonorerose » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:10 pm

please, nerf the archers! A two day archer alt can easily kill a strong warrior in an expensive steel armor which is made for a few months. Unarmed and meele warriors require a lot of strength, agility, constitution and good equipment (steel armor, cuirass, dragon helm, swords). Archers - quite a bit perception, 40 marksman, some bad bow and a cheap clothes with qilding (linen pants and shirt, fox hats and another cheap items) to kill a warrior in top armor. The new combat system is not effective until there are archers like that.
Eleonorerose

Postby dzielny_wojownik » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:45 pm

ah delete this p0st xddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
There was a wise soviet conscript that was surrounded by the enemy on the battle of Stalingrad. A mortar shot teared his pants apart causing a big hole in his pants right on his right butt cheek. He felt a glorious cold ass breeze of wind on his butt cheek, like it would be sent by stalin himself, he said - hide your butts
dzielny_wojownik

Postby Enjoyment » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Does all this unnessesary combat test-server serves to hide the fact that floating point coordinates isn't even on alpha stage done? And did it work?
'Cause I do see that most of us do forget what we waited for...
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby Zeler » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Enjoyment wrote:Does all this unnessesary combat test-server serves to hide the fact that floating point coordinates isn't even on alpha stage done? And did it work?
'Cause I do see that most of us do forget what we waited for...

Yeah, we waited for good combat.
Zeler

Postby shadowchris » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Agreed. The new combat system needs major fixing before they ship it out to the real realm. Surely you guys are planning to ship out your changes to the test realm next cycle?
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby Hasta » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:05 pm

shadowchris wrote:changes to the test realm

I'd settle for a few days with realistic stat values and item qualities. Just to see does it actually have all those balance flaws listed or are some of them results of 1000 statcap and ~50 quality.
Hasta

Postby Astarisk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:45 pm

The move paid in blood needs to be looked at, it gives 3 IP instead of the 6 mentioned, and it also lacks a CD in its description.

Ended up doing some spars today and its pretty much the same as last time, damn near impossible to lose a fight. Even with neither of us using steal thunder, and having ip stacked in quantity. It was damn near impossible to down someone even if you focused solely on offense. Not to mention the build up time to even get to that point is pretty dull, the whole combat process atm is just unexciting.

I should also mention that we are pretty much just standing still during the entire fight, if any sort of running was involved It would just be insanely worse.
Last edited by Astarisk on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements