Game Development: Approaches to Combat pt. II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Approaches to Combat pt. II

Postby MadNomad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:18 pm

Ysh wrote:
MadNomad wrote:
Pan_w_okularach wrote:So what do we do about horses?
My take:
1. Remove pony power completely, instead let's have good old surface based movement speed. Stone paving - 4th speed; fields, caves, mountains - 3rd speed; woods - 2nd speed; swamps and shallow water - crawl speed. Movement should drain satiety directly, but that should be adjusted to the needs of players. A typical combat operation nowdays takes about 2 hours of walking(thanks to red handed) and an average horse should be able to endure that.
2. Make them less vulnerable (ideally Invulnerable) to other mounted players. Dismounting while on feet is fine(although useless), but simply punching a horse to make it drop the rider and flee - stupid.
3. Allow them to swim. It's so irritating to carry a raft with you all the time or having to build a road just to cross a river. It's not gonna hurt anything, just gonna add some convenience.
4. Allow to take horses on knars. Why not?

I agree with most of this, would be nice to take horses and few friends on a knarr, move somewhere and then go on land on horses to catch enemies etc., we should be able to take other livestock too, if we want to trade em for example. Same with 3 we could just build a raft bridge but it takes time for just going to second coast of river, so yeah horse swimming sounds good. 1 and 2 are good ideas too.

It looking like you do agree with every point, but saying that you only agree with most. Which do you not agree for?

I don't know, i should say i agree with everything.
MadNomad

Postby Granger » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:22 pm

Zeler wrote:I would agree with horses being able to swim, but only out of combat.

So they drown when being aggroed while swimming, or how do you intend to resolve that situation?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Zeler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Granger wrote:
Zeler wrote:I would agree with horses being able to swim, but only out of combat.

So they drown when being aggroed while swimming, or how do you intend to resolve that situation?

Simply don't let them start swimming while in combat?
Zeler

Postby Kaios » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Zeler wrote:Simply don't let them start swimming while in combat?

He said aggro'd while swimming
Kaios

Postby Zeler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Kaios wrote:
Zeler wrote:Simply don't let them start swimming while in combat?

He said aggro'd while swimming

Then simply nothing happens, lol. You continue swimming and can't enter water again after that. There is nothing complicated here.
Zeler

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm guessing zeler's survival plan is abandon his horse and swim hoping for his pursuers to stop chasing. Stupid plan because it would only take one of them to follow you and keep you aggroed while the rest can find a way to cross the river and get you eventually. What im suggesting is more fair to the outnumbered.
But swimming that's just a minor thing anyways, pony power is the big one. If you're being chased there is no good options right now, you sprint - you're burning pony power - you lose in the long run, if you go slower they will get you with sprint. They can do both you have to choose one. Or let's say you're chasing someone and then suddenly more coming and you're fucked again. That's unfair because you can't possibly predict how many of them are there. Just creates an atmosphere where everyone is staying home and there is no competitive pvp going on in the world (emphasis on "competvie", noobs will still be slaughtered) and everyone is bored. And finally there are just well bred horses capable of going on the 3rd speed without losing pony power, and to breed them you have to spend a few months basically, how's that fair? I thought the whole point of the stat caps was that those who started later could get on equal footing with everyone?
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby Zeler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Currently deciding to swim a river while being chased is suicide anyways. You will get quickscoped by mlg archers.
Zeler

Postby mietzi94 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Then why shouldnt it be able on a horse then :D? Doesnt matter if mounted or not if its suicide anyways.
Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued.
mietzi94

Postby Ozzy123 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Horses and archery should be nerfed before the whole combat changes imo cuz its hard to predict how the combat will look like after these 2 get nerfed.

You should be unable to aggro while on horse, if you get aggroed while on horse you're getting dismounted. Let us drink while running, leave horses for fast travel or cutting off which would be a big adventage already. Archery should do 50% lower damage and aim at 50% lower speed(or a bit faster) than it currently does and it would probably be fine, balanced to ua and meele. New combat system + these archery and and horse changes and we would have a really good PVP imo.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby MadNomad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Ozzy123 wrote:Horses and archery should be nerfed before the whole combat changes imo cuz its hard to predict how the combat will look like after these 2 get nerfed.

You should be unable to aggro while on horse, if you get aggroed while on horse you're getting dismounted. Let us drink while running, leave horses for fast travel or cutting off which would be a big adventage already. Archery should do 50% lower damage and aim at 50% lower speed(or a bit faster) than it currently does and it would probably be fine, balanced to ua and meele. New combat system + these archery and and horse changes and we would have a really good PVP imo.

I support this idea, i agree with everything here.
MadNomad

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements