Game Development: Approaches to Combat pt. II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Approaches to Combat pt. II

Postby Atamzsiktrop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Dismouting from horses when you get aggroed would be the stupidest shit ever, it's not like you can just tame hundreds of them because they get lost in the wilderness forever in every fight. Especially during early game. Would be just plain annoying and make no sense.

Mulder's ideas are good though.
Atamzsiktrop

Postby Ozzy123 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Atamzsiktrop wrote:Dismouting from horses when you get aggroed would be the stupidest shit ever, it's not like you can just tame hundreds of them because they get lost in the wilderness forever in every fight. Especially during early game. Would be just plain annoying and make no sense.

You think that it doesnt happen right now? Have u ever done pvp XD? People are getting dismounted and horses r getting lost all the time.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Atamzsiktrop wrote:Dismouting from horses when you get aggroed would be the stupidest shit ever, it's not like you can just tame hundreds of them because they get lost in the wilderness forever in every fight. Especially during early game. Would be just plain annoying and make no sense.

plus that would make it very hard to survive a gank. once you got aggroed your opponents can change each other get on horses, get food and water when needed, get ahead of you and repeat that while you're slowly running out of energy
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby dzielny_wojownik » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:49 pm

swimming horses pls
There was a wise soviet conscript that was surrounded by the enemy on the battle of Stalingrad. A mortar shot teared his pants apart causing a big hole in his pants right on his right butt cheek. He felt a glorious cold ass breeze of wind on his butt cheek, like it would be sent by stalin himself, he said - hide your butts
dzielny_wojownik

Postby Atamzsiktrop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Well, there's quite a few issues to dismouting when aggroed.

1) Annoying as fuck to lose a horse in every fight (sure, it already exists but it's issue of the system, not something built into it, why not fix it instead?).
2) Forcing people into combat just by aggroing them shouldn't be a thing. If you have a horse, and someone else doesn't, you should be able to escape. Horses should have an advantage over footman - I think that's pretty clear - but footman should also have an advantage over horses. It's so called balance. While horses right now are not balanced at all (stupidly overpowered in one way, stupidly underpowered in another way - running away from anyone not mounted and being punched to dismount respectively), I believe making them do same things as footman can (swimming, being usable "infinitely" - being limited by hunger, not pony power), so you don't lose them every 5 minutes, would be a good idea. But footman should also be better than horses in some way. That's why I think making horses good (or better than footman, in the end) by investing in them (be it LP or anything else, shouldn't be easy though and losing your horse should be costly) is a very good idea.
3) Making them dismount when aggroed is not equal to deleting them from PvP at all. Flanking, blocking and cutting off is also a part of PvP (I'd say even bigger than actual combat). PvP is not only limited to using combat skills, it's everything from sieging a village to blocking people so they can't escape a gank.
4) Other things that could be easily abused in that system - like already mentioned escaping from a gank - or using alts to dismount people to gain advantage in regular combat are ones I can think of, but I honestly think there would be way more.

Overally, I think horses are a good idea but they're very hard to implement to work in every aspect of the game. They're completely horrible right now though, so they need a rework. Many people who look at this game from combats perspective would like them to be completely removed but I think that's a step back, because they're a good thing if it comes to traveling (with a lot of issues tho, crossing rivers being one of them) around the world.
I think the first step should be making them an investment rather than a thing to lose every now and then (which is quite often). I don't really know how to connect breeding better horses and investing LP in them but I believe there's a solution. Honestly, investing into horses is a really creative field, there's many ways to implement it - not only giving them experience but also armor, better saddles and such.

Balancing horses is awfully hard, especially in combat, so better take your time and make it good, so it doesn't need another rework.
Last edited by Atamzsiktrop on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atamzsiktrop

Postby MadNomad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:13 pm

dzielny_wojownik wrote:Image

swimming horses pls

This one is sinking because this human is too heavy xd.

This way weak shitters couldn't run away too easily, maybe this would make horses more valuable and be better traded good too.
MadNomad

Postby Atamzsiktrop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:30 pm

I bet you that even in current system if a "weak shitter" (I don't really know what you mean by that though) - a noob - and anyone from a big faction, who has intentions to kill the shitter, would meet, both on horses, the noob would die anyway. Horse isn't a 100% guarantee of escape. Killing a bad horseman is piss easy, no need to make it even easier.
Atamzsiktrop

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:50 pm

IMO no one should have the option to increase their movement speed exclusively, that's too much of an advantage to have. If there have to be horses in this game, they should be equal and easily accessible to everyone. So trained battle horses don't make sense to me. Unless of course you're out of things to do in this game and you need just one more extra chore to make you happy. Horses are expendable material, it's convinient, why change that?
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby MadNomad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Atamzsiktrop wrote:I bet you that even in current system if a "weak shitter" (I don't really know what you mean by that though) - a noob - and anyone from a big faction, who has intentions to kill the shitter, would meet, both on horses, the noob would die anyway. Horse isn't a 100% guarantee of escape. Killing a bad horseman is piss easy, no need to make it even easier.

Well could make them still sit on their horses if both of em are riding horses, but if only one has and gets aggrod its a bit unfair for the person without horse who wants to fight him.
MadNomad

Postby Atamzsiktrop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Who said about it being gamebreaking though? It doesn't need to be speed improvement, it can be more hp for the horse or just simply skills (like swimming). They also don't have to be too costy, just something to not make it feel like you just get rid of one fodder eating little shit. It's a big playground to experiment with.

I wouldn't also call it a chore, really. It would regular the same amount of daily work as regular horses.

MadNomad wrote:
Atamzsiktrop wrote:I bet you that even in current system if a "weak shitter" (I don't really know what you mean by that though) - a noob - and anyone from a big faction, who has intentions to kill the shitter, would meet, both on horses, the noob would die anyway. Horse isn't a 100% guarantee of escape. Killing a bad horseman is piss easy, no need to make it even easier.

Well could make them still sit on their horses if both of em are riding horses, but if only one has and gets aggrod its a bit unfair for the person without horse who wants to fight him.

Horseman might not want to fight him though. It's attackers stupidity for not bringing a horse, shouldn't punish the horseman.
If one person dies in a 1v1 it's also unfair?
Atamzsiktrop

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements